MD-SEN 2024: Cardin retiring, Hogan IN
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:45:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-SEN 2024: Cardin retiring, Hogan IN
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17
Author Topic: MD-SEN 2024: Cardin retiring, Hogan IN  (Read 17744 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2023, 12:58:56 PM »

Alsobrooks is still favored, but Trone has enough levels of institutional support that I don’t think his primary odds are quite as dire as Mooney’s are.

I'd say she's overwhelmingly favored. Isn't the majority of Democratic primary voters in Maryland actually black? I'd guess that also favors her, although it doesn't mean black voters just back her because she's African American. However, the state already has three black statewide elected officials (governor, lt. governor and attorney general). It's also the only entire black ticket that won the two highest offices of a state.

Aruna Miller isn’t black.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2023, 12:59:17 PM »

Alsobrooks is still favored, but Trone has enough levels of institutional support that I don’t think his primary odds are quite as dire as Mooney’s are.
I'd say she's overwhelmingly favored. Isn't the majority of Democratic primary voters in Maryland actually black? I'd guess that also favors her, although it doesn't mean black voters just back her because she's African American. However, the state already has three black statewide elected officials (governor, lt. governor and attorney general). It's also the only entire black ticket that won the two highest offices of a state.

Lt. Governor Aruna Miller is Indian American.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2023, 01:00:26 PM »

That should count as "black" though? Just not as "African American" (though Elon Musk would technically qualify for latter).
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #178 on: August 21, 2023, 01:03:23 PM »

That should count as "black" though? Just not as "African American" (though Elon Musk would technically qualify for latter).

“Black” pretty much exclusively refers to African-Americans here.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2023, 01:42:50 PM »

I want to caution everyone here against assuming that because Alsobrooks is black and the majority of Maryland's Dem primary voters are black, that she will win the primary over her white male opponent, Trone.

The last open seat Senate election here back in 2016 also featured a well-known black woman running against a white male Congressman. The latter ended up winning and then winning re-election last year.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2023, 01:54:07 PM »

I want to caution everyone here against assuming that because Alsobrooks is black and the majority of Maryland's Dem primary voters are black, that she will win the primary over her white male opponent, Trone.

The last open seat Senate election here back in 2016 also featured a well-known black woman running against a white male Congressman. The latter ended up winning and then winning re-election last year.

The big difference is that Alsobrooks has locked up far more consequential endorsements from state officials and members of Maryland's congressional delegation (not unlike Van Hollen in 2016).
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2023, 04:03:24 PM »

I think your confusion is the different concepts of “black” in America vs. Britain? In America it is exclusively people of African dissent, but in the UK it can and has included South Asians. The British Black Panthers did have South Asians among their founders. The UK has a concept of “political blackness” that incorporates more than African racial minorities, but such a notion in America is non existent.

Changing topic to not double post — I wonder if Lee could subtly use Schiff’s endorsement to paint him against the advancement of black women.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2023, 05:47:54 PM »

Van Hollen won in large part because his Congressional office had a reputation for being more responsive to constituent assistance requests than Edwards'. That, and the fact that Edwards was (and is, to my knowledge) aligned with the Sanders wing of the party, which is not especially powerful in Maryland.

Alsobrooks does not have either of these problems against Trone, and certain negative things about Trone's reputation, both real and imagined, have preceded him in Maryland politics since even before he was elected.
Oppo

« Reply #183 on: August 25, 2023, 01:32:18 PM »

Lieutenant Governor Miller is Indian-American
JMT

« Reply #184 on: October 23, 2023, 03:42:21 PM »

Oppo

« Reply #185 on: October 23, 2023, 04:22:47 PM »

Moore owes Alsobrooks for her endorsement in 2022 that swung PG County.

Will Jawando (who dropped out a couple days ago) has also endorsed Alsobrooks.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #186 on: October 23, 2023, 06:02:32 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2023, 07:47:19 PM by Dr Oz Lost Party! »

Excellent! She's going to make a very fine addition to the Senate.

Moore owes Alsobrooks for her endorsement in 2022 that swung PG County.

Will Jawando (who dropped out a couple days ago) has also endorsed Alsobrooks.

The Lieutenant Governor has also endorsed her, I believe.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #187 on: October 23, 2023, 06:55:30 PM »

Trone should just drop out at this point, it isn't happening. Is it too late for him to go back to MD-06?
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #188 on: October 23, 2023, 08:00:02 PM »

Trone = Mooney on the whole "doa campaign" thing
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #189 on: December 18, 2023, 11:53:35 PM »

leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #190 on: December 19, 2023, 12:10:10 AM »

Eh the house usually sticks to their own in senate races, especially when there’s only one representative running
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #191 on: December 19, 2023, 12:43:44 PM »

This is 100% expected, why WOULDN'T the head honchos of the House Democratic Caucus endorse one of their own??

Now if this was any of the Marylanders endorsing him it would be a big deal
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #192 on: December 19, 2023, 01:30:05 PM »

Didn't the last poll show Trone up by 20? I'm expecting it to tighten a lot given Alsobrooks' local support, but Trone has been putting up a much tougher fight than I expected.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #193 on: December 19, 2023, 02:53:44 PM »

Didn't the last poll show Trone up by 20? I'm expecting it to tighten a lot given Alsobrooks' local support, but Trone has been putting up a much tougher fight than I expected.

There was one that showed that, but a more recent poll shows him up by 7% (34/41) with 25% undecided
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2024, 11:37:09 AM »

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #195 on: January 31, 2024, 04:10:57 PM »

Today Trone released another internal poll with him up over 10 points. This is another data point on how peculiar the race is.

Alsobrooks has basically the entire Maryland Dem party behind her. But she has not spent a dime on advertisements so far. Perhaps because the primary is four months away on paper, but minds will be made up earlier than that, and many will probably be voting early. Trone meanwhile has spent over 10 million and has more big reservations planned. That's no doubt why he's leading right now, and why he will continue to lead if Alsobrooks doesn't let people know she exists.
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

« Reply #196 on: February 01, 2024, 03:03:23 PM »

Today Trone released another internal poll with him up over 10 points. This is another data point on how peculiar the race is.

Alsobrooks has basically the entire Maryland Dem party behind her. But she has not spent a dime on advertisements so far. Perhaps because the primary is four months away on paper, but minds will be made up earlier than that, and many will probably be voting early. Trone meanwhile has spent over 10 million and has more big reservations planned. That's no doubt why he's leading right now, and why he will continue to lead if Alsobrooks doesn't let people know she exists.
I read the MT-SEN thread, where what feels like books worth of ink have been spilt on the firefight between Rosendale and Sheehy over the past however many months... and then I read this.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #197 on: February 09, 2024, 11:38:43 AM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #198 on: February 09, 2024, 11:39:48 AM »

Huh

Junior Chimp

« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2024, 11:39:50 AM »

HUUUUUGE Recruit indeed!

Whoever convinced him to do that deserves huge props here!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies