MD-SEN 2024: Cardin retiring, Hogan IN
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:50:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-SEN 2024: Cardin retiring, Hogan IN
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17
Author Topic: MD-SEN 2024: Cardin retiring, Hogan IN  (Read 17768 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: June 01, 2023, 02:13:18 PM »

Since Raskin is in leadership, I guess he told Hoyer that he's not going to run. I doubt Hoyer would endorse someone not even in the House over someone from leadership to which he himself belonged as well. Alsobrooks is a strong favorite now, and rightfully so.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #151 on: June 01, 2023, 02:28:40 PM »

I’m moving my prediction from 55-45 to 60-40 Alsobrooks, if not 65-35
Spectator
United States

« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2023, 01:20:33 PM »

I don't think it would even be that close. She's getting noteworthy endorsements from party players in other counties. This thing will be a blowout.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2023, 01:53:04 PM »

I don't think it would even be that close. She's getting noteworthy endorsements from party players in other counties. This thing will be a blowout.

The only thing stopping me from fully going for that is Trone is a congressman with a lot of personal wealth. I could see him performing well  among wealth white suburbanites
Spectator
United States

« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2023, 02:31:16 PM »

The only thing stopping me from fully going for that is Trone is a congressman with a lot of personal wealth. I could see him performing well  among wealth white suburbanites

Wealthy white liberals are the exact kind of people to pay themselves on the back for voting for a black woman in a federal primary. If it was a governors race or local race, I think it’d be a different story.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2023, 06:47:05 PM »

Raskin out

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2023, 07:05:32 PM »

That basically seals it. Between his health issues, the recent loss of his son, and the fact that he would have to deal with a bruising primary, I'm not surprised at all.

And honestly, given his Ukraine letter, I'm not too sorry. Alsobrooks will be a fine Senator.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2023, 07:42:00 PM »

Raskin out

Huh, looks like I was wrong about him retiring from the House.

At this point all House retirements might as well be related to running for Senate
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #158 on: July 07, 2023, 07:49:19 PM »

That basically seals it. Between his health issues, the recent loss of his son, and the fact that he would have to deal with a bruising primary, I'm not surprised at all.

And honestly, given his Ukraine letter, I'm not too sorry. Alsobrooks will be a fine Senator.

David Trone?
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2023, 08:03:56 PM »

David Trone?

He has little chance.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2023, 08:32:31 PM »

David Trone?

He has little chance.

As best I can see, he's seen as a fine representative but just doesn't have any passionate supporters and Alsobrooks is racking up a TON of endorsements fast.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #161 on: July 08, 2023, 10:31:27 AM »

David Trone?

He has little chance.

As best I can see, he's seen as a fine representative but just doesn't have any passionate supporters and Alsobrooks is racking up a TON of endorsements fast.

Trone also has no campaign staff - none of the people from his House campaigns are with him for this run and they are hiring leadership positions (like Comms Director and Press Secretary) on public job boards - something very rare for a serious statewide race.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2023, 01:41:18 PM »

David Trone?

He has little chance.

Trone also has no campaign staff - none of the people from his House campaigns are with him for this run and they are hiring leadership positions (like Comms Director and Press Secretary) on public job boards - something very rare for a serious statewide race.

How do they normally hire for campaigns (I may want a job like that one day so genuinely curious)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2023, 03:48:16 PM »

David Trone?

He has little chance.

How do they normally hire for campaigns (I may want a job like that one day so genuinely curious)

Connections. People they know. Sometimes a campaign manager will approach a potential candidate themself.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #164 on: July 09, 2023, 08:57:08 AM »

David Trone?

He has little chance.

Poster above me is generally right. The good folks at the DCCC/DSCC/DGA/etc often work with candidates they recruit to get them good, well-established, and proven people in key campaign roles. Lots of campaigns (often major mayorals, who don't have committees like the aforementioned to refer to) also hire "general consultants" or "chief strategists" (usually well-established consultants like admakers, pollsters, direct mail people, etc) to advise early campaign decision-making and they will bring in and hire the key folks on campaign payroll and subsequently advise the campaign in a broader way than they might in their usual role.

Lots of campaigns do hire lower-level positions (research associates, digital strategists, field organizers, etc) on public job boards and that's a great place to get started. If you are talented, knowledgeable, and committed - and I assume you are Smiley - people will notice fast and they'll remember.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #165 on: July 09, 2023, 09:49:48 AM »

So unless things drastically change, Alsobrooks should have this?
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: July 09, 2023, 09:51:37 AM »

So unless things drastically change, Alsobrooks should have this?

I’d imagine so yea
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2023, 08:40:44 AM »

It's beyond over for Trone lol

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: August 15, 2023, 02:12:54 PM »

With LBR de facto safe in Delaware, the number of black women in the senate will increase from zero to at least two in the next congress.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2023, 03:23:12 PM »

Honestly Trone’s primary chances may be even worse than Mooney’s at this point.
JMT

« Reply #170 on: August 21, 2023, 09:32:11 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #171 on: August 21, 2023, 09:39:40 AM »

Won't matter that much, several of these reps are unknown in MD and hardly anyone is going to change their vote because of their recommendation. (Most) endorsements are generally overrated.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #172 on: August 21, 2023, 10:38:31 AM »

Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #173 on: August 21, 2023, 11:46:18 AM »

Alsobrooks is still favored, but Trone has enough levels of institutional support that I don’t think his primary odds are quite as dire as Mooney’s are.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: August 21, 2023, 12:51:47 PM »

Alsobrooks is still favored, but Trone has enough levels of institutional support that I don’t think his primary odds are quite as dire as Mooney’s are.

I'd say she's overwhelmingly favored. Isn't the majority of Democratic primary voters in Maryland actually black? I'd guess that also favors her, although it doesn't mean black voters just back her because she's African American. However, the state already has three black statewide elected officials (governor, lt. governor and attorney general). It's also the only entire black ticket that won the two highest offices of a state.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies