Chicago Suburb teaching black kids are dumb and can't go far in life.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 06:57:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Chicago Suburb teaching black kids are dumb and can't go far in life.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chicago Suburb teaching black kids are dumb and can't go far in life.  (Read 1760 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2021, 09:57:31 PM »
« edited: April 03, 2021, 10:13:43 PM by You Code 16 bits- What do you get? »

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/04/black-lives-matter-curriculum-has-unintended-lesson/618501/
Its woke curriculum, not right wing.
This is tragic, hard for people to speak out when they get cancelled.

One day my daughter told me she was taught that all white people are privileged and part of a system of white supremacy. My son said the same thing. So I reached out to my daughter’s teacher to find out what exactly was being taught. It was pretty much like she said: that all white people were part of this system of white supremacy, and that all white people, because of the color of their skin, had privilege. I

I’ve spent a lot of time in Central Africa because my dad is from the Congo. And some of the propaganda that’s being spread right now here in Evanston is similar to some of the divisiveness that took place in Rwanda before the massacre. I’m not saying that is what’s going to happen here, but when you start labeling people in a negative manner based on their race or ethnic group, this leads to division and destruction, not finding common ground and positive solutions.

“But Mommy, there are these systems put in place that prevent Black people from accomplishing anything.” That’s what they’re teaching Black kids: that all of this time for the past 400 years, this is what [white people have] done to you and your people. The narrative is, “You can’t get ahead.”

Here's another article

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/03/should-black-lives-matter-agenda-be-taught-school/618277/

The book instructs a young white reader that she doesn’t need to “defend” racism, and it presents her with a stark decision. An illustration depicts a devil holding a “contract binding you to whiteness.” It reads:

You get:

✓stolen land

✓stolen riches

✓special favors†

WHITENESS gets:

✓to mess endlessly with the lives of your friends, neighbors, loved ones, and all fellow humans of COLOR

✓your soul

Sign below:
Wokeness is literally replacing organized religion for the newly secular upper class.

This parent requested anonymity because he fears the potential career repercussions of publicly criticizing an initiative touted as combatting racism. In his telling, his school district’s leadership frames any criticism of its “equity” curricula as “white supremacist thinking.”
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 10:00:40 PM »

I get the idea of privilege, I really do. But it seems that there is an exclusive focus on racial privilege when there are many other unearned advantages and disadvantages that people have. Class is a much bigger handicap to many people than race. Heck, nationality is a bigger handicap. Just ask those kids in cages at the border. If you're going to teach privilege then teach it in general.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 10:04:21 PM »

The important thing is that they aren't teaching these kids defeatism. Instead it is primarily based on changing the institutional structure that does deter personal progress.

Coming from such a rag such as the Atlantic, I'm not surprised on the lack of nuance on this

I get the idea of privilege, I really do. But it seems that there is an exclusive focus on racial privilege when there are many other unearned advantages and disadvantages that people have. Class is a much bigger handicap to many people than race. Heck, nationality is a bigger handicap. Just ask those kids in cages at the border. If you're going to teach privilege then teach it in general.
Same principle, the current laws and institutions make progress impossible. And they are all connected to the same superstructure in our society.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 10:04:45 PM »

If a teacher teaches kids the sky is blue and some kid draws the conclusion that must mean the sky is blue because it’s made of water is it the teachers fault for stating the fact that the sky is blue?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 10:23:00 PM »

If a teacher teaches kids the sky is blue and some kid draws the conclusion that must mean the sky is blue because it’s made of water is it the teachers fault for stating the fact that the sky is blue?

Yes, because the teacher would've failed to give the student a coherent explanation for that phenomenon.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 10:57:48 PM »

You have one side of the coin that preaches rhetoric that suggests that if a black person gets a good job that it's because of affirmative action or white guilt or threats of riots if a black person isn't hired. And then you have the flip side that says they "don't see color" and that there is no inequality in this country. You have the flat out racist side and the passive-aggressive "reasonable" side, but it's the same coin that works together to keep the system working.

It isn't a curriculum that makes anyone believe there is white privilege, it's reality.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 11:07:05 PM »

Stephen Carter didn't know that white privilege meant that he couldn't get a perfect score on his SATs.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 11:25:10 PM »

Oh come on. All they're doing is teaching the next generation of Americans that they're natural enemies and that our society is a zero-sum game where the winners get to dominate and oppress the losers. What's the worst that could happen?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 11:30:58 PM »

Oh come on. All they're doing is teaching the next generation of Americans that they're natural enemies and that our society is a zero-sum game where the winners get to dominate and oppress the losers. What's the worst that could happen?
A strong labor movement and real, effective change towards gay luxury space communism. Godspeed toward out amazing teachers in Chicagoland.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 11:40:06 PM »

Ah, the fresh lfromnj thread smell.

You have one side of the coin that preaches rhetoric that suggests that if a black person gets a good job that it's because of affirmative action or white guilt or threats of riots if a black person isn't hired. And then you have the flip side that says they "don't see color" and that there is no inequality in this country. You have the flat out racist side and the passive-aggressive "reasonable" side, but it's the same coin that works together to keep the system working.

It isn't a curriculum that makes anyone believe there is white privilege, it's reality.

A reality based on the US's founding as a Euro settler colony before it became the world's superpower, and more generally the economic and political dominance of European countries during the post-Columbian era. Honestly the concept of "white privilege" makes more sense in more racially diverse and bigger metro areas in D states, where the white people that nonwhite people regularly interact with are generally better educated and better off.

There's a reason I often distinguish between immigrant origin/diaspora black people and ADOS black people on Atlas. It's an important nuance that a lot of more doctrinaire woke people gloss over.

Friedersdorf: Does it rankle you, as a Black person, when people define white culture with positive stereotypes, such as showing up to places on time?

Mboyayi: That’s exactly how I feel. The education system tends to erase or mute Black people from different backgrounds and experiences. They make this assumption that all Black people are a monolith—they all speak the same way, think the same way, and conduct themselves in the same way.

Showing up on time has nothing to do with being white. It’s something that you’re taught or not taught. My father taught me at a very early age to keep my word. If you say that you’re going to be somewhere at some time, be there. What system of white supremacy was he influenced by?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 12:09:14 AM »
« Edited: April 04, 2021, 12:18:41 AM by US Senator Michael Bennet from the State of Colorado »

So when it’s a major news network brainwashing millions of adults and turning them into literal domestic terrorists who believe the world is run by pedophiles, it’s okay, but this one slightly overboard instance of wokeness is what angers the culture war keyboard fighter? Makes sense.

Seriously though, you have spent more time defending the very people who are going to turn us into a Rwanda style mess than actually “helping”.

I don’t like this, but f**k off with your disingenuity, we know you don’t care and just want to own the libs to feel good about yourself.

Anyways, I would actually like a secondary perspective from this story. Maybe even some access to the curriculum being taught before making a judgement. It does sound bad (still not as bad as the s**t rfromnj likes to defend) but it is very one sided.

Also yes, as stated above, we need to be better at distinguishing between African immigrants to the US and those who descended from slaves.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 12:21:11 AM »

Evanston is like the Berkeley of the Midwest fwiw. It's also quite likely, and ironic that most of the Black kids learning this curriculum come from middle to UMC families.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 12:29:44 AM »

Evanston is like the Berkeley of the Midwest fwiw. It's also quite likely, and ironic that most of the Black kids learning this curriculum come from middle to UMC families.

Evanston is very heavily segregated and the northwest side is not mostly UMC Black families.
kwabbit

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 12:32:22 AM »

Lol, I thought this was in some DuPage suburb and I was a bit surprised. Makes complete sense if it's in Evanston.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 12:37:43 AM »

The white privilege talk seems to revolve much more around blame than actually educating people about either historic or present-day discrimination and racism. If this curriculum actually covered those topics then I'd support it, but it's specifically encouraging kids to resent their appearance, their families, and their future accomplishments. It's just generally an unhealthy way to view one's self, especially given the fact that self-loathing is already an epidemic among kids and young people so it strikes me as irresponsible to encourage it as young as the first grade.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2021, 12:43:53 AM »

Evanston is very heavily segregated and the northwest side is not mostly UMC Black families.

Not by Midwest standards.

Census tract 8096 which lies in NW Evanston has an average income of around 90k, is 42% Black, 33% white and 16% Hispanic. That's fairly wealthy and well integrated. The tract directly north is majority Black and looks more lower middle class with an average income of just under 50k but it is nowhere near as segregated or poor as places like Milwaukee or the part of Chicago just across from Oak Park.

Of course this is 2010 data so maybe things have changed.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2021, 05:57:26 AM »

For those who think that whiteness is privilege, then just take a trip to Beckley, West Virginia, which has the lowest average life expectancy of any urban area in America. No, blacks, Hispanics, and First Peoples are not taking the average down. Opiates and meth are big trouble there. 

Much of it is bad habits: people smoking, overweight, and not exercising... and of course poor.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2021, 07:14:28 AM »

A strong labor movement and real, effective change towards gay luxury space communism. Godspeed toward out amazing teachers in Chicagoland.

That’s fully automated luxury gay space communism.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2021, 10:43:45 AM »

I thought this came from a affluent rightwing DuPage suburb.....oh wrong, it came from a leftwing activist..
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2021, 04:37:40 PM »

So when it’s a major news network brainwashing millions of adults and turning them into literal domestic terrorists who believe the world is run by pedophiles, it’s okay, but this one slightly overboard instance of wokeness is what angers the culture war keyboard fighter? Makes sense.

Seriously though, you have spent more time defending the very people who are going to turn us into a Rwanda style mess than actually “helping”.

I don’t like this, but f**k off with your disingenuity, we know you don’t care and just want to own the libs to feel good about yourself.

Anyways, I would actually like a secondary perspective from this story. Maybe even some access to the curriculum being taught before making a judgement. It does sound bad (still not as bad as the s**t rfromnj likes to defend) but it is very one sided.

Also yes, as stated above, we need to be better at distinguishing between African immigrants to the US and those who descended from slaves.

Just because Fox News and everything it's walks about is indeed awful half-truth propaganda doesn't mean that overly woke culture can't be simultaneously acknowledged and addressed.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2021, 04:44:03 PM »

For those who think that whiteness is privilege, then just take a trip to Beckley, West Virginia, which has the lowest average life expectancy of any urban area in America. No, blacks, Hispanics, and First Peoples are not taking the average down. Opiates and meth are big trouble there. 

Much of it is bad habits: people smoking, overweight, and not exercising... and of course poor.

This is hardest and most controversial part about the concept of White Privilege. It absolutely exist. It's absolutely real. Memes and work harder for anything and everything you are.

But how does one explain that to the Maney Maney millions of poor whites? Black privilege doesn't matter. Not even close. Means even less than if you're white you have things good. Places like Beckley West Virginia, and thousands of other white working-class communities across the country testify otherwise. But it's so easy to understand how white people in that situation misunderstand anyone acknowledging the concept of white privilege to completely not understand their own struggles and believe that any politician or weather prominent voice voicing the term of white privilege are out or fight for them. A paragraph and the Fox News version of dividing working-class blacks and whites so the wealthy Elite remain in control continues.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2021, 07:19:42 PM »

Just because Fox News and everything it's walks about is indeed awful half-truth propaganda doesn't mean that overly woke culture can't be simultaneously acknowledged and addressed.
Agreed.
It’s just the fact that the poster who attacks this defends the even worse s**t on the other side annoys me.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies