MA-SEN 2024: Who replaces Warren if she retires?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 12:03:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-SEN 2024: Who replaces Warren if she retires?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA-SEN 2024: Who replaces Warren if she retires?  (Read 318 times)
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2021, 04:50:30 PM »

I say Maura Healey does.  She would probably rather be governor, but I doubt Healey is willing to keep her career on hold indefinitely waiting for Baker to retire.  What's more, leaving the Attorney General's office for the Senate opens up an opportunity for Joe Kennedy to return to electoral politics--he's an obvious pick to succeed her, and it would be a big step on his way to the governor's mansion in 2030 or whenever.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 04:52:13 PM »

It's Ayanna Pressley's seat if she wants it.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 04:53:42 PM »

It's Ayanna Pressley's seat if she wants it.

If Healey shows interest in Warren's seat, I think Pressley waits and runs to replace Markey in 2026.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 07:07:23 PM »

Congresswoman Pressley would probably make a fabulous Senator.  Approved.  And it's time for a black woman in the Senate again.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 07:10:05 PM »

If Joe Kennedy was smart he would have waited for this moment instead of impatiently chucking his wad in primarying Markey.

He may try again but he may not have the influence he used to. So I also expect that Pressley might compete against a more mainstream Democrat for the seat. She would probably win the primary, especially if Warren endorses her.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 07:30:40 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2021, 07:34:25 PM by Heebie Jeebie »

If Joe Kennedy was smart he would have waited for this moment instead of impatiently chucking his wad in primarying Markey.

He may try again but he may not have the influence he used to. So I also expect that Pressley might compete against a more mainstream Democrat for the seat. She would probably win the primary, especially if Warren endorses her.

I think Kennedy challenged Markey because he wanted to avoid going head-to-head with Pressley.  Now, the best way to avoid that costly intraparty competition would be for Healey to replace Warren in 2024, Kennedy to replace Healey as AG, and Pressley to replace Markey in 2026.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 07:38:52 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2021, 07:48:05 PM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

Warren won't retire, Kennedy will have to wait til 2026 to run for Gov
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 07:43:21 PM »

I think Kennedy challenged Markey because he wanted to avoid going head-to-head with Pressley.  Now, the best way to avoid that costly intraparty competition would be for Healey to replace Warren in 2024, Kennedy to replace Healey as AG, and Pressley to replace Markey in 2026.
Why is Kennedy owed anything ? He had his shot and blew it. Go run for Governor if you wanna feel important.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 07:49:23 PM »

Why is Kennedy owed anything ? He had his shot and blew it. Go run for Governor if you wanna feel important.

He's not owed anything, but the Kennedy name is an asset MA Dems shouldn't be too quick to toss out.  Anyway, he's almost certainly going to run for some office again in the next few cycles--why not be strategic and cooperative (Dems are supposed to be good at that) to avoid unnecessarily dividing the party or wasting resources?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies