Liberals make Fox News a big deal when it really is not
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 06:10:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Liberals make Fox News a big deal when it really is not
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Liberals make Fox News a big deal when it really is not  (Read 1620 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2021, 04:30:59 PM »

I really don't know why liberals are obsessed with Fox News....I don't find Fox interesting, what is the obsession with Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity, it is just a rightwing cable network with rightwing opinions, I don't understand the obsession with Fox...
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 04:34:09 PM »

Fox News is the dominant subscription news network in the U.S., the most-watched cable news network overall, and Tucker Carlson in particular broke the record for highest-rated program in American news history. What are you talking about?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 04:34:16 PM »

Some of these "liberals" have grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles who parrot word for word the garbage that is disseminated on Fox News. Tell them it's not a big deal.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 04:35:32 PM »

Donald Trump never would have become president if not for Fox News.

The idea that it isn’t a “big deal” in terms of having a major influence on our politics is insane and blatantly false.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 05:01:32 PM »

Some of these "liberals" have grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles who parrot word for word the garbage that is disseminated on Fox News. Tell them it's not a big deal.

Not every conservative talking point is disseminated on Fox News.....some people have their own thoughts and opinions that does not have to be from Fox News......
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 05:10:24 PM »

The idea that it isn’t a “big deal” in terms of having a major influence on our politics is insane and blatantly false.

That is a lie.

I know a lot of Republicans that don't watch "Fox News" or know Hannity, etc. They are not that political......

Trump got elected because people were tired of the same old and same old in their lives and because of racial resentment as well......it was not due to "Fox"
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 05:31:28 PM »

That is a lie.

I know a lot of Republicans that don't watch "Fox News" or know Hannity, etc. They are not that political......

Trump got elected because people were tired of the same old and same old in their lives and because of racial resentment as well......it was not due to "Fox"

And who do you think helped stir up those racial resentments?
Yoda
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 05:42:17 PM »

I really don't know why liberals are obsessed with Fox News....I don't find Fox interesting, what is the obsession with Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity, it is just a rightwing cable network with rightwing opinions, I don't understand the obsession with Fox...

Some of us have immediate family members who have literally been radicalized by Hannity and Tucker Carlson. Fox is non-stop hyper partisan republican propaganda that warps our political discourse to a place where about 1/3 of the country cannot even be engaged with in intelligent discussion b/c they believe whatever insane lies Fox has shoved down their throat for the past 20+ years. If you need a recent example I would point you to their campaign to help trump attempt a coup by spreading the Big Lie that the election was stolen that resulted in the deaths of 3 police officers, 4 (?) MAGA morons, and over 100 more officers injured.

That's.....kind of a big deal.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 06:38:05 PM »

Donald Trump never would have become president if not for Fox News CNN.

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 06:39:58 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2021, 08:14:05 PM by GP270watch »

Not every conservative talking point is disseminated on Fox News.....some people have their own thoughts and opinions that does not have to be from Fox News......

Talking to conservatives and viewing social media this is a lie. Many conservatives don't even know how to react to a story or think about something until they get their talking points from Fox News or AM Radio. This is not to say they don't have their own beliefs, they do but they often struggle to justify those beliefs in the presence of facts.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 07:01:22 PM »

Fox News is Lügenpresse.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 07:05:43 PM »

Fox News is the most powerful media company in the country... it is a big deal, and liberals are right in attacking it for its bigoted biases.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2021, 07:21:50 PM »

Yeah, the Media on both the left and the right gave Trump too much attention, which is why he became POTUS.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2021, 07:25:16 PM »

Yeah, the Media on both the left and the right gave Trump too much attention, which is why he became POTUS.

I do hope you're not equating CNN as the left here...'cuz they aren't.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2021, 07:26:15 PM »

I do hope you're not equating CNN as the left here...'cuz they aren't.
I'm not saying CNN is leftwing media, it's just corporate media, but real left wing media also gave Trump too much attention..
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2021, 07:48:24 PM »

I'll just add my voice to the chorus.  I have conservative family members and they derive their entire worldview from Fox News.

When events immediately happen, if I talk to them, I'll get the real them, and they'll say "I don't know, that seems really bad, I need to do more research" or "if that's true then I might have to think about a few things" or something similar.  But they're really just stalling until they get their Fox News talking points.

Once they've been booked up, you don't get the real them anymore.  It's just like talking to Laura Ingraham.

Not only is this just obscene, it's also really bad because Fox News thrives on making people angry and frightened to keep them in line.  So all these family members, they are always unhappy.  They're unhappy at something the liberals have done.  They're terrified of the "radical left."  They have these absurd, hateful caricatures of liberal politicians that bear little resemblance to their actual personalities and they're afraid of them.  They're afraid that radical morons like AOC and Ilhan Omar have taken over the Democratic Party when in reality they're just annoying gadflies.

I live a few blocks from CHAZ.  Want to guess how many text messages I got telling me to stay safe and that they're praying for me?  Meanwhile I wouldn't have even known it was happening if I didn't walk down to the protest area itself.

And the other thing is that they always want to talk about politics.  All the time.  I mean they spend all day memorizing these talking points so of course they're eager to try them out.  And they're so worked-up and agitated over the latest thing they've been told to be ANGRY about that of course it's all they can think about.

All of this is coming from the right-wing disinformation machine.  Take that away and I'd get these people back, I'd get to have normal interactions with them.  But the way things are, once you get sucked in, your entire personality changes.  The way you live your life changes.  And it's sad and horrible.  This is affecting tens of millions of people in this country.

And Fox News is the epicenter of it all.  I'm sure it was also pretty bad in the early 90s with Rush Limbaugh and the lot, but Fox has really begun dominating people's lives where they spend hours every day recharging with the latest Fox.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2021, 08:10:59 PM »

Talking to conservatives and viewing social media this is a lie. Many conservatives don't even know how to react to story or think about something until they get their talking points from Fox News or AM Radio. This is not to say they don't have their own beliefs, they do but they often struggle to justify those beliefs in the presence of facts.

A GAZILLION times this. Nothing truer has been written on this thread.

You talk to a hundred liberals/democrats on any topic, you'll get a hundred different thoughts and takes and unique perspectives on said topic, even if they all "agree" on said topic.

You talk to a hundred republicans/conservatives on any topic, you will get the Hannity/ Carlson/Limbaugh talking points/buzzwords spewed at you word for word by Every. Single. One. Of. Them. "Drill, baby, drill!" "Build the wall!" "I support the troops!" "We're fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them over here." "America first!" "Joe Biden is senile!" "Deep state!" "Fake news!" They are literally endless. Incurious, unthinking sheep is what they are.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2021, 08:16:35 PM »

I read a study done once by two poli sci professors who claimed their research led them to conclude that Fox literally helps republicans drastically in elections. According to them, republicans would have done 6 points WORSE in the '06 midterms (which would have made it an extinction level event politically) if not for the round the clock anti-democratic propaganda from Fox.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2021, 08:38:06 PM »

Talking to conservatives and viewing social media this is a lie. Many conservatives don't even know how to react to a story or think about something until they get their talking points from Fox News or AM Radio. This is not to say they don't have their own beliefs, they do but they often struggle to justify those beliefs in the presence of facts.

When events immediately happen, if I talk to them, I'll get the real them, and they'll say "I don't know, that seems really bad, I need to do more research" or "if that's true then I might have to think about a few things" or something similar.  But they're really just stalling until they get their Fox News talking points.

Once they've been booked up, you don't get the real them anymore.  It's just like talking to Laura Ingraham.

You could often see this happen right here on this forum.  Whenever Trump committed some heinous crime in broad daylight, e.g. pressuring the Georgia Sec of State to "find" enough votes to win the state, or inciting the overthrow of our democratic government, etc etc, several of our most regular blue avatars would just mysteriously disappear.  A few days or even weeks would go by, and then sure enough, they'd resurface fully armed with all the talking points necessary to handwave or whatabout it all away.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2021, 09:06:01 PM »

Ask John Boehner: https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/04/02/john-boehner-book-memoir-excerpt-478506
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2021, 09:11:43 PM »

I read a study done once by two poli sci professors who claimed their research led them to conclude that Fox literally helps republicans drastically in elections. According to them, republicans would have done 6 points WORSE in the '06 midterms (which would have made it an extinction level event politically) if not for the round the clock anti-democratic propaganda from Fox.

The migrant caravan crap definitely helped them in 2014.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2021, 09:23:57 PM »

Sounds like something a right-winger would say!
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2021, 09:37:44 PM »

You must not have any conservative Boomer relatives.
Wormless Gourd
cringenat
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2021, 09:54:59 PM »

it matters insofar as any other information bubble matters
it's the largest and often only news source for much of the country so whats aired there reverbs then any one place online
a gallup poll from last month had 43% of americans using fox for their news info in the last week, including 28% of democrats(it was 66% among republicans)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2021, 11:01:16 PM »

MSNBC used to be much better than Fox, but now it's just as bad. All the major networks are garbage.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies