Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:04:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues  (Read 67711 times)
icc
Rookie
« on: July 26, 2022, 04:57:13 PM »

So Renovación Popular and Perú Libre supported the same list? Horseshoe theory in action if so.
icc
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 07:17:09 AM »

If we're discussing democratic mandates, then it's worth recalling that Castillo polled 19% of the vote in the first round and won the runoff with a margin of 0.3pts. Enough to be the constitutionally and electorally legitimate President, certainly, but not enough to claim much of a mandate for radical political action let alone radical constitutional tinkering let alone an attempt to pull off an Autogolpe. I would suggest that the whole experience - and, frankly, the whole experience of Peruvian politics over the past few decades,* suggests that an Executive Presidency is not a good idea for the country.

*Every single elected President has ended up in prison or ought to have done: Garcia avoided it by topping himself like an Agatha Christie villain and Toledo has been trying to dodge it - but presumably will fail in the end as he lost that case last year - by hiding out in the United States.

I think that some of the issue is their top-two system. Castillo got about 19% and Keiko Fujimori got about 13.5%, then Peruvians got to pick and, as they did in the previous two elections, Keiko lost by under 1%. I wonder how it would’ve gone if there was an instant runoff system instead.

In a way, Peru’s politics are starting to remind me of Israel’s in the sense that there’s constant turnover, splintering coalitions/parties, and bare majorities either for or against a polarizing figure (Keiko Fujimori vs Bibi Netanyahu).
Under AV ('instant runoff') the winner would likely have been either Rafael López Aliaga or Hernando de Soto. It almost certainly wouldn't have been either Castillo or (especially) Fujimori, probably the two most unpopular candidates.

The difference is that while Israeli politics is multi-polarized around clear sectarian poles, the South American runoff presidential system incentivizes every "flavor of the year" Caudillo politician with a following to try for the top office, leading to voter depolarization.
It's more a distinctly Peruvian than South American problem. Over a period of many years, pretty much every political movement (most notably APRA) in the country was discredited, culminating in the falls of both Kuczynski and the  Fujimoris in 2018. This left Peru with no political parties or political actors capable of uniting even 15-20% of electors behind them, and therefore no incentive for politicians to band together to win over a decent chunk of the electorate.

Ironically, it looks as though Keiko Fujimori was basically propping up the system for a number of years, as Fujimorismo had a strong following and a high floor, forcing other ideological strands to unite behind a single politician, rather than splintering off all over the place.

Other South American countries certainly have the potential to go down this route, but it's only Peru which has done so far.

The most sensible thing, not just for Peru, but for virtually every country in Latin America, is almost certainly to abandon Presidentialism, but that is very unlikely to happen.
icc
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 06:42:09 PM »

imo given what we know his move to dissolve Congress AND CALL FOR NEW ELECTIONS was completely justified.

People have ridiculed Fernandez, AMLO and Petro for having the same take on the situation as I have, but i'm glad that these leaders do what is necessary and take the right decisions, and I would have done the same/supported them if i were in their situations.

A president being replaced by his own vice president in response to unconstitutionally attempting to close Congress, take over the judiciary, and rule by decree isn’t a coup. What “we know” is that Congress was going to attempt to impeach him for the third time due to the obvious corruption that permeated his administration, an attempt which by all accounts would have failed just like the other two. Even if - and especially if - the impeachment were likely to succeed, his actions would still have been dictatorial and authoritarian. It doesn’t matter if he was going to call new elections - can you guess who else called for fresh elections and a new constitution after a self-coup?
I think the final impeachment attempt was likely to succeed - hence the events that followed.

Anyway, there is basically no justification for still standing behind Castillo.

Was / is Congress a den of snakes looking out only for themselves - yes
Were they always going to try and impeach Castillo, regardless of merit - yes
Does anyone in Peru like / support Congress - not really
Does any of that justify the suspension of democracy - obviously, obviously, obviously not

It is sad that so much of the Latin American left has been infected with (honestly, in many ways understandable) brain worms, and are now trying to defend the indefensible. Hopefully the likes of Gustavo Petro in Colombia, who has made a genuinely encouraging start on his domestic agenda, will be able to continue on their actual priorities, rather than getting sidetracked in defending this bizarre psychodrama
icc
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 05:27:21 PM »

A good read on the crisis here:
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/peru/perus-democratic-dysfunction
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies