Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:18:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48
Author Topic: Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues  (Read 67651 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: December 17, 2022, 01:23:59 PM »

This Peruvian sociologist calls it "a coup within a coup"

The Sociologist says that if Boluarte resigns, the head of military would become president because he would be next in line since there's no VP in line because she's already president, so if Boluarte is impeached or resigned, the military has all power

José Williams would become president in that case

José Daniel Williams Zapata (born 9 November 1951) is a retired Peruvian Army general who led Operation Chavín de Huántar, a military operation that successfully ended the 1997 Japanese embassy hostage crisis. Serving as Chief of the Joint Command of the Armed Forces of Peru from 2005 to 2006, Williams currently represents the constituency of Lima in the Peruvian Congress as a member of Go on Country - Social Integration Party.

They're trying to get rid of Boluarte

Pressure increases and people have filed constitutional complaints which might start an impeachment procedure.

If Boluarte leaves office and Williams becomes president (or someone else chosen by Congress, a la Sagasti) he’d have to call for new general elections immediately (Article 115 of the constitution).

which would be in the interest of the Fuerza Popular (Popular Force) party. I think they would vote in favour of impeaching Boluarte.

Anyways her position is very weak atm.

Yes. Fuerza Popular, APP, AP - all parties that people calling for the closure of Congress hate (and rightly so).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1126 on: December 17, 2022, 01:51:06 PM »

Also, a probably relevant fact about yesterday's vote about moving elections to 2023:

Legislative alert: here is the vote by which the advancement of the elections to 2023 has been rejected. Nine benches divided themselves in the vote.

At the risk of stating the obvious, Fuerza Popular voted in favor because it is the only party able to compete in the elections on the next year. The others ones are very, very aware of their feebleness.

It really is pathetic that the only actual, organized political party in Peru is made up of nostalgics of a widely reviled former dictator. Really a striking indictment of the entire Peruvian political class.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1127 on: December 17, 2022, 04:06:09 PM »

The police is now raiding the headquarters of Verónika Mendoza’s Nuevo Perú.

Also, a probably relevant fact about yesterday's vote about moving elections to 2023:

Legislative alert: here is the vote by which the advancement of the elections to 2023 has been rejected. Nine benches divided themselves in the vote.

At the risk of stating the obvious, Fuerza Popular voted in favor because it is the only party able to compete in the elections on the next year. The others ones are very, very aware of their feebleness.

The police and DIRCOTE have also raided the HQ of the Confederación Campesina del Perú (longtime peasant social organization) and another small leftist party.
Sir John Johns
France

« Reply #1128 on: December 17, 2022, 04:35:21 PM »

Yes, apparently this the absolutely terrifying arsenal they are bragging having discovered there: four machetes (with bar codes still on them), a ski mask, slingshots and a box of nails (plus reportedly 'anti-democratic pamphlets').

Accusations made about the raid having happened without the presence of a prosecutor, meaning the police has free rein to intimidate opposition parties.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1129 on: December 17, 2022, 05:08:58 PM »

Yes, apparently this the absolutely terrifying arsenal they are bragging having discovered there: four machetes (with bar codes still on them), a ski mask, slingshots and a box of nails (plus reportedly 'anti-democratic pamphlets').

Accusations made about the raid having happened without the presence of a prosecutor, meaning the police has free rein to intimidate opposition parties.

Never thought I'd see another country post a more pathetic loot haul than a US PD, but those three lighters really take the cake.

Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1130 on: December 17, 2022, 07:25:36 PM »

I think you can say both that what Castillo tried to do with the autogolpe was bad and what’s happening now is bad.

This is the correct take.

I'm not sure why Laki is going to bat for Castillo being the best and apparently extremely popular (despite voting indicating otherwise) and comparing it to genocide denial.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1131 on: December 18, 2022, 03:16:36 AM »

I think you can say both that what Castillo tried to do with the autogolpe was bad and what’s happening now is bad.

I'm not sure why Laki is going to bat for Castillo being the best and apparently extremely popular (despite voting indicating otherwise) and comparing it to genocide denial.
People really like dichotomy I guess. It's one or the other to some, even when that's not the case.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1132 on: December 18, 2022, 05:08:33 AM »

You're twisting my words.

Castillo obviously is better than this sh**t. I acknowledge what he has done isn't perfect, but it's very clear he tried to prevent this sh**t and secondly no one died during his reign in protests.

The Ayacucho massacre was a massacre, and yes the entire forum is ignoring it, minimizing or it, defending like "Castillo would have done so as well", which is not a scientific comment.

So no, i disagree and like you do often you twist my opinion and a words in a way that suits you, but you say things i haven't said (deliberately), in an attempt to shut me down.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1133 on: December 18, 2022, 10:00:14 AM »

Castillo obviously is better than this sh**t. I acknowledge what he has done isn't perfect, but it's very clear he tried to prevent this sh**t and secondly no one died during his reign in protests.

The Ayacucho massacre was a massacre, and yes the entire forum is ignoring it, minimizing or it, defending like "Castillo would have done so as well", which is not a scientific comment.

So no, i disagree and like you do often you twist my opinion and a words in a way that suits you, but you say things i haven't said (deliberately), in an attempt to shut me down.

If you’re going to make the facially improbable claim that nobody died during protests during a year and a half, you should at least try to back it up.

https://centroliber.pe/es/noticias/los-conflictos-sociales-en-el-gobierno-castillo

And acting like a wannabe dictator “tried to prevent” violence and repression is so absurd it doesn’t deserve a response. You absolutely would have loved Fujimori.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1134 on: December 18, 2022, 11:13:49 AM »

What does this have to do with the Peruvian Elections and Politics? I actually want to learn about what's going on there and filling a thread with immature sniping like this is silly.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1135 on: December 18, 2022, 12:31:38 PM »

If you’re going to make the facially improbable claim that nobody died during protests during a year and a half, you should at least try to back it up.

https://centroliber.pe/es/noticias/los-conflictos-sociales-en-el-gobierno-castillo

And acting like a wannabe dictator “tried to prevent” violence and repression is so absurd it doesn’t deserve a response. You absolutely would have loved Fujimori.

What if it is the "people's protest quelling"? See, that solves everything.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1136 on: December 18, 2022, 02:54:23 PM »

What does this have to do with the Peruvian Elections and Politics? I actually want to learn about what's going on there and filling a thread with immature sniping like this is silly.

I think that when people are supporting Castillo’s coup because he supposedly has widespread support among the population (which is untrue, as if it even mattered), it’s reasonable to point out that Fujimori’s coup also had significant (if not near-universal, according to some sources) support when it occurred. There’s no principled reason to oppose one and not the other.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1137 on: December 18, 2022, 08:32:35 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2022, 10:00:03 AM by H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY »

Boluarte is doing around of interviews on the evening news and has already promised to replace Pedro Angulo as prime minister (no word on his replacement). There have been worse premiers, to be sure, but perhaps none so particularly feckless and inept or who totally abandoned their duties. He spent the opening week of nation’s biggest crisis in years doing ribbon-cutting ceremonies in Lima.

She also announced that the deaths of protesters at the hands of the military during the current state of emergency will be investigated by the military justice system in addition to the Attorney General, which is (according to what I’ve seen) illegal and a violation of regional human rights law.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #1138 on: December 19, 2022, 07:49:13 AM »

Boluarte is doing around of interviews on the evening news and has already promised to replace Pedro Angulo as prime minister. There have been worse premiers, to be sure, but perhaps none so particularly feckless and inept or who totally abandoned their duties. He spent the opening week of nation’s biggest crisis in years doing ribbon-cutting ceremonies in Lima.

Hey those ribbons aren't going to cut themselves you know.
FredLindq
« Reply #1139 on: December 19, 2022, 12:05:20 PM »

I noticed that ex-president Humala is gaining in the polls. What are the major differencies between Humala and Castillio?!
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #1140 on: December 19, 2022, 02:14:14 PM »

I noticed that ex-president Humala is gaining in the polls. What are the major differencies between Humala and Castillio?!

Is not Ollanta Humala, is Antauro Humala, leader of the movement "Etnocacerismo", which you could summarize as "Nazism with Andean characteristics"
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1141 on: December 19, 2022, 03:04:44 PM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1142 on: December 19, 2022, 03:32:35 PM »

Is not Ollanta Humala, is Antauro Humala, leader of the movement "Etnocacerismo", which you could summarize as "Nazism with Andean characteristics"

Oh come on, at least try to hide it all better.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1143 on: December 20, 2022, 10:14:01 AM »
« Edited: December 20, 2022, 03:06:24 PM by H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY »

Etnocacerismo believes in, to quote its party manifesto from the 2000s, “ETHNONATIONALISM vindicating our brown-Tawantinsuyan stock, being the demographic-cultural majority and hegemonic in the political and economic direction of the country” and also (a more modern plank of their platform) kicking out all the Venezuelans. Etnocaceristas took over the Unión por Perú Party and had a surprisingly strong showing in the 2020 special election for Congress, but their legislative caucus was largely dominated by infighting between etnocaceristas and the people who had been in the party before.

Ollanta Humala is actually somewhat of the black sheep of his family for being a relatively normal guy. The two brothers (with the support of their father Isaac) led an uprising against the Fujimori government in the late 90s calling for the restoration of democracy. A few years later, under the new Toledo government, Antauro led a second uprising known as the Andahuaylazo (for which he’d been imprisoned until earlier this year) in response to Ollanta’s having been forced into retirement from the military. This was what caused the rupture within the family, as Ollanta did not directly participate and denies having known about it beforehand. Antauro claimed that Ollanta was closely involved and called him the historic leader of etnocacerismo, although both of them nowadays prefer to downplay his past involvement.

Ollanta later ran for president in 2006 and 2011 as a standard left/center-left politician (no race stuff, lots of quotes from Mariátegui and Velasco Alvarado on his website) and eventually won in 2011 - with the support, though not full-throated, of etnocacerismo. He immediately turned towards the center and neoliberalism, expanding mining operations in the south, etc., which many leftists took as a major betrayal, and also has the classic gamut of corruption accusations. Antauro has since called for him to be executed.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1144 on: December 20, 2022, 11:30:48 AM »
« Edited: December 20, 2022, 07:08:48 PM by H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY »

Congress voted to reconsider a new proposal for general elections in April 2024 with 94 votes (higher than 87, the margin needed to approve it without a referendum). Debate is now underway.

Also, the military justice system has contradicted Boluarte and said that the deaths of protesters will be investigated and tried in the civil justice system.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1145 on: December 20, 2022, 06:48:07 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2022, 07:29:50 PM by H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY »

Proposal passes, 93-30-1. No votes came mostly from Peru Libre, who wanted immediate elections (ie April of next year) and wouldn’t have voted for anything that didn’t include a constituent assembly, and about half of Renovación Popular, who didn’t want any sort of early elections at all. The proposal will need to be approved again in a second legislative session, and the current one was initially slated to end soon but was recently extended until January.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1146 on: December 20, 2022, 09:54:58 PM »

Mexico has granted asylum to Pedro Castillo’s wife (accused of corruption along with him) and their two children (aged 16 and 10). Peru has declared the Mexican ambassador persona non grata in response.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1147 on: December 21, 2022, 10:24:30 AM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1148 on: December 21, 2022, 11:26:15 AM »

Defense minister Alberto Otárola is the new prime minister, and he as well as the interior minister and the two ministers who resigned last week (education and culture) have been replaced. Not the most inspiring cabinet reshuffle of Boluarte wants to calm protests after the public failure to agree on early elections last week and eventual stitch-up yesterday (while April 2024 vs December 2023 may not be practically very different outcomes, it won’t appear that way to many on the street).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1149 on: December 21, 2022, 12:43:36 PM »

Antauro has since called for him to be executed.

Must make things awkward at family gatherings.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies