HB 29.28 Sticking it to the Man Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:47:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 29.28 Sticking it to the Man Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HB 29.28 Sticking it to the Man Act (Passed)  (Read 488 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2021, 04:40:28 AM »
« edited: April 11, 2021, 02:06:53 AM by ¿ »

Sticking it to the Man Act

A BILL

Be it enacted by the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

SECTION I
No school which receives federal funding from the government of Atlasia may suspend, expel, or otherwise punish a student for any of the following reasons:

1) wearing their hair in a certain style or having dyed or colored hair
2) expressing opinions or beliefs during time allocated for students to speak or ask questions which do not demean or harass other students, or wearing articles of clothing displaying a social or political message.
3) praying or otherwise practicing their religion at school, as long as the prayers are done without significantly disturbing the class or if they are done during a time of recess
4) peacefully walking out of class as part of a protest or political movement
5) actions that occurred outside of school provided they did not bully or harass another student, or result in the student's arrest

SECTION II

1) No school in the Republic of Atlasia may prevent a student from graduating or passing a class due to debts incurred, including but not limited to lunch debt and unreturned library books, provided they satisfy all other requirements.
2) No school which receives federal funding from the government of Atlasia may prevent a student from graduating or passing a class due to absences incurred, provided they receive a passing grade and satisfy all other requirements.

Sponsor: MB
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 04:42:48 AM »

I introduced a version of this bill to the Senate last year. It passed but was vetoed/redrafted by Pericles and apparently Congress never bothered to vote either on a veto override or on the redraft. So here we go. I've taken out the parts which caused the most controversy. I'll just post my original advocacy:

Basically this sets some guidelines protecting the rights of students to express their opinions and beliefs in school. It also limits the ability of a school to punish students for expressing these beliefs. Also - it gets rid of not being able to graduate because of debt owed to the school which can accumulate a lot over the years. The point of public school in this country is to be free and public, not exclusionary. And passing these measures will help it fill that vision.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 07:11:35 AM »

Allowing prayer in schools is bad and schools should have their books returned, I'm actually fine with the attendance provision, but these two need to go.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 08:29:13 AM »

Allowing prayer in schools is bad and schools should have their books returned, I'm actually fine with the attendance provision, but these two need to go.
The text says that the prayers have to be not disturbing the class. If they're not disturbing anyone, what's the issue?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 09:47:09 AM »

The text says that the prayers have to be not disturbing the class. If they're not disturbing anyone, what's the issue?

I'd just rather keep religion out of schools entirely
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 09:54:17 AM »

I'd just rather keep religion out of schools entirely
But freedom of religion is guaranteed in the constitution. Our personal feelings on school prayer don’t really have much to do with it
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 10:19:14 AM »

To be fair don't think praying in class could ever end up as "not disturbing the class". It's still speaking (even if it's in a very quiet voice) and in some cases standing up or going on your knees or other things that would be very distracting to the teacher and other students.

I'd just cut it to the "during a time of recess" part personally.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 02:59:57 PM »

To be fair don't think praying in class could ever end up as "not disturbing the class". It's still speaking (even if it's in a very quiet voice) and in some cases standing up or going on your knees or other things that would be very distracting to the teacher and other students.

I'd just cut it to the "during a time of recess" part personally.
Prayer can be silent and in your head.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 01:45:16 PM »

Anything further to add here?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 12:34:17 AM »

I'll motion for a final vote.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 01:34:52 AM »

A final vote has started. 72 hours.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2021, 01:35:42 AM »

Aye
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2021, 01:35:53 AM »

So nothing was done about the provision of prayer in schools? Lincoln had this exact same debate almost two years ago and we agreed that it was a bad idea.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 01:36:43 AM »

So nothing was done about the provision of prayer in schools? Lincoln had this exact same debate almost two years ago and we agreed that it was a bad idea.
Literally nothing in this bill endorses state-sanctioned school prayer (which I don't support). All it does is protect the right of students to practice their religion, if they wish to, on school grounds without fear of punishment.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 01:37:05 AM »

aye
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 01:34:50 PM »

Aye
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 08:50:38 PM »

Aye
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2021, 01:10:33 AM »

Aye.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2021, 03:39:55 AM »

This has the votes to pass so it will close in 24 hours after 11:10 pm pacific time
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2021, 03:58:15 PM »

Aye
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -7.22

P P P
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2021, 07:54:19 PM »

AYE
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2021, 08:15:49 PM »

Aye
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2021, 02:06:33 AM »

This passes.

Aye (Cool: MB, Ishan, Ninja, Razze, Cao, Deadprez, Harvey, Talleyrand
No vote (1): Lfromnj
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2021, 02:07:48 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2021, 01:10:22 PM by ¿ »

Sticking it to the Man Act

A BILL

Be it enacted by the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

SECTION I
No school which receives federal funding from the government of Atlasia may suspend, expel, or otherwise punish a student for any of the following reasons:

1) wearing their hair in a certain style or having dyed or colored hair
2) expressing opinions or beliefs during time allocated for students to speak or ask questions which do not demean or harass other students, or wearing articles of clothing displaying a social or political message.
3) praying or otherwise practicing their religion at school, as long as the prayers are done without significantly disturbing the class or if they are done during a time of recess
4) peacefully walking out of class as part of a protest or political movement
5) actions that occurred outside of school provided they did not bully or harass another student, or result in the student's arrest

SECTION II

1) No school in the Republic of Atlasia may prevent a student from graduating or passing a class due to debts incurred, including but not limited to lunch debt and unreturned library books, provided they satisfy all other requirements.
2) No school which receives federal funding from the government of Atlasia may prevent a student from graduating or passing a class due to absences incurred, provided they receive a passing grade and satisfy all other requirements.

Passed 8-0-0-1 in the Atlasian House assembled

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies