Will DeSantis try to protect Trump from prosecution in NY to endear himself to GOP voters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 01:56:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Will DeSantis try to protect Trump from prosecution in NY to endear himself to GOP voters?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will DeSantis try to protect Trump from prosecution in NY to endear himself to GOP voters?  (Read 1038 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2021, 01:51:24 AM »

Huh
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 01:54:24 AM »

Couldn't the Biden DOJ just hold him in contempt and then actually arrest him if he tries anything?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 08:15:15 AM »

DeSantis has to win the big three in MI, PA and WI that won't help him in a GE
SAAuthCapitalist
Rookie
Singapore

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 09:44:06 AM »

I hope he protects Trump from unfair deep state prosecution, but I doubt it’ll get to that stage in the first place.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 07:46:20 PM »

Ny has nothing on trump
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 11:56:32 AM »

Whatever you think about Trump (or Clinton, for that matter), criminal prosecution of defeated presidents/presidential candidates absent something on the level of a video recording of a violent crime is a terrible precedent to set and a road this country should never go down.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 01:21:11 PM »

My answer on this is the same as it was the last time that it was asked:

I could see DeSantis refusing to sign off on an extradition request because "something something politically-motivated prosecution," in which case, the state of New York would file a petition for a writ of mandamus in the Northern District of Florida to order DeSantis to proceed with the extradition of Trump. The District Court would presumably agree & issue a writ of mandamus to compel DeSantis to surrender Trump, & on appeal, the 11th Circuit would presumably affirm.

It might end up all coming down to a majority on SCOTUS - which hasn't been all that kind to Trump when it comes to his personal vulnerabilities (see: Trump v. Mazars) - having to decide whether to overrule its unanimous 1987 decision in Puerto Rico v. Branstad, in which they held that the governor of the asylum state has no discretion in performing their duty to extradite & that a federal court may enforce the governor's duty to return the fugitive to the demanding state. I don't see them doing so. At worst, it's a 6-3 decision (probably written by Roberts &) joined by all but Thomas, Alito, & Barrett.

In any event, extradition would only be the end of the beginning, because you know we'd end up getting an utter Trumpian sh*tshow involving as many floods of motions, petitions, hearings, & - ultimately - appeals in the NY courts (&, inevitably, the federal courts too).

Couldn't the Biden DOJ just hold him in contempt and then actually arrest him if he tries anything?

That's not how anything works. The DOJ would have literally nothing to do with this beyond filing an amicus brief in federal court supporting the case that NY would presumably file autonomously against FL on its own, with no other federal involvement yet because - again - there'd be no legal jurisdiction for them to even get involved at such a juncture.

I hope he protects Trump from unfair deep state prosecution, but I doubt it’ll get to that stage in the first place.

*sigh*

lol k
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 01:06:15 AM »

Do Republicans literally want a civil war?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 08:34:42 AM »

Do Republicans literally want a civil war?

Don't ask questions you know the answer for.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies