Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:45:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 244059 times)
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« on: March 29, 2021, 12:58:23 PM »
« edited: March 29, 2021, 01:01:49 PM by 215 till I die »

Both parties are going to add to our national debt. I'd rather it be done on investing in our future so we have some hope of decreasing our Debt/GDP ratio than more tax cuts that only lead to concentration of wealth. Way to be Joey.
sting in the rafters
slimey56

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 06:26:05 PM »

Both parties are going to add to our national debt. I'd rather it be done on investing in our future so we have some hope of decreasing our Debt/GDP ratio than more tax cuts that only lead to concentration of wealth. Way to be Joey.

Doing nothing is far more expensive in the long run. It was true with targeted Covid relief package and is true on infrastructure as well. Unfortunately, the infrastructure in the US is not in a healthy condition and in urgent need for repair, renewal and expansion. Bridges and airports are crumbling, highspeed internet is missing all over the place and the train system is a joke. The government should go in with a bold plan that not just improves the infrastructure itsself, but also creates millions of jobs and invests in renewable energy.

Unlike the Republicans, who passed massive tax cuts for wealthy people and big business, the Democrats actually pay for their expenditures by raising taxes on those who can actually afford it. I'd personally favor even a larger hike for upper incomes and big corporations as well as cutting military spending. But this Biden initiative is a huge step forward if passed that would do so much good on many fronts. Hopefully they can get this done without writing large parts of the bill off. It's too important.

You're speaking facts. Anecdotally, my hometown is completely unsuited to handle the population boom that has occurred in the past 30 years. The lack of stop signs or traffic lights on intersections where there is a heavy amount of tree cover have led to numerous accidents. The winding 2-lane backroads are completely unequipped for the influx of traffic. In just the past decade they've had to open two new schools to handle all of the kids. The regional rail network (SEPTA)'s fleet is antiquated. We need sustained investment to ensure that our residents can flourish while also conserving our natural habitats. Indeed, just last year there was an issue with the construction of a natural gas pipeline opening sinkholes near a local treasure.
sting in the rafters
slimey56

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 11:46:14 AM »

$45 billion to ensure no child ever is forced to drink water from a lead pipe
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't replacing water service lines take a significantly more time than believed by the public at-large?
sting in the rafters
slimey56

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 06:54:07 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2021, 07:04:44 PM by The Swayze Train »

Schumer and Yellen say agreement reached on paying for economic bill but it's unclear if moderates are on board

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer announced Thursday an agreement on revenues to pay for the Democrats' $3.5 trillion agenda, though they did not offer details and its unclear if key moderate Democrats are on board.

"The White House, the House and the Senate have reached an agreement on a framework that will pay for any final negotiated agreement," said Schumer, alongside Yellen and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi at her weekly press conference Thursday. "So, the revenue side of this, we have an agreement on."

A senior Democratic aide says there's an agreement between House and Senate Democratic leaders, the chairs of the House Ways and Means and Senate Finance committees, and White House officials are meeting with key House and Senate moderates today to talk about financing options.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/23/politics/democrats-agreement-yellen-revenue-economic-agenda/index.html

Apparently the funding "framework" is a big surprise to a lot of Dems, including ones that are not moderate, and including the second in command guy, Durbin.  It appears to be a string of words crafted to give the appearance that something is going on moving the ball forward, when in fact nothing is.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/573645-democrats-surprised-caught-off-guard-by-framework-deal

My wild guess is that infrastructure will pass next Monday, without reconciliation of course, and Manchin etc in "exchange" will say they are still happy to chat about reconciliation - at a deliberate pace, no rush. My guess is based on the surmise that Manchin has indicated that if infrastructure is held hostage, reconciliation is dead. The Dems, progressive or otherwise, and not going to go the nothing route. That is my surmise, and I suspect Manchin's. The Dems never had the cards on this one, so they were left with bluffs that are going to be called.

I beg to differ. Manchin hasn't given a single answer as to what he specifically wants cut.

Manchin proposed a 1-1.5 T increase and an increase to 25%, a literal compromise to the compromise. The 3.5T proposal has literally been on the table for half a year and he still doesn't know what he wants cut?

-Will he stand by his prior position of being against federally funded universal Pre-K?  
-Is he still vacillating on whether or not to maintain the provisions regarding community college?
-Does he oppose building 2 million housing units at affordable cost during a time where speculation is pricing out prospective homeowners?
-Does he support the $89B for agricultural modernization as opposed to the $135B proposal? (Mind you, already a cut from the original committee proposal of $200 billion which was signed and backed by numerous agricultural enterprises.)
The progressive wing of the party has already compromised on $7T and restoring the 35% corporate tax. While the $3.5T still leaves meat on the bone, it is acceptable to make to address the challenges of the future. Why should they work with the moderate wing of the party again if they're not gonna hold up their end of the bargain?

LBJ's rolling in his grave at their inability to get in line. Why shouldn't CPC stuff the bipartisan bill, send it back to the house with the reconciliation bill, and tell Manchin to go sit with every committee to go over every little line item his deficit hawk a-- desires so they can get a yes vote? Have him get up there and explain he doesn't want to equip our children with the education most jobs require. Explain what he wants to cut from the provisions regarding sustainable farming which would greatly benefit WV's economy. Make him and Sinema endorse Schrader's watered down proposal on capping prescription drug cost-sharing.

All this s--- about how they had learned their lesson from the ACA fight and its the same BS.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies