Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 06:28:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 247973 times)
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1725 on: September 30, 2021, 07:13:02 PM »

So an obvious thing I think is being lost in this is that Sinema and Manchin have, at the very best, been negotiating (narrator, they aren’t) exclusively with the White House and Chuck Schumer and expecting them to beat down the rest of the members into accepting their demands.

Perhaps if they want to get a deal out of the house they should be talking to house members?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1726 on: September 30, 2021, 07:23:10 PM »

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/key-lawmaker-at-center-of-spending-bill-debate-demands-fed-end-asset-purchases-192755021.html

Joe Manchester n says no to a  bloated 3.5 T dollar Budget Deal and anyways Medicare Expansion doesn't even take effect until 2028

D's aren't gonna ram thru the Senate a 3.5T dollar desl
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1727 on: September 30, 2021, 07:25:50 PM »

So an obvious thing I think is being lost in this is that Sinema and Manchin have, at the very best, been negotiating (narrator, they aren’t) exclusively with the White House and Chuck Schumer and expecting them to beat down the rest of the members into accepting their demands.

Perhaps if they want to get a deal out of the house they should be talking to house members?

They don't have to negotiate with anyone, they have the Filibuster in the Senate not the House
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1728 on: September 30, 2021, 07:34:32 PM »

Now, we know why they're not extending Unemployment or giving us another 1400 check, they sent states extra money for more stimulus that the Feds want them to use, I am still waiting on my Golden State 600 stimulus
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1729 on: September 30, 2021, 07:54:39 PM »

Has Manchin just called for austerity ?
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #1730 on: September 30, 2021, 08:00:33 PM »

Vote pushed back an hour to 10 ET per Hoyer
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1731 on: September 30, 2021, 08:01:41 PM »

Manchin is extremely stupid and grasping at straws.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #1732 on: September 30, 2021, 08:01:49 PM »

Tongue
JMT

« Reply #1733 on: September 30, 2021, 08:05:16 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1734 on: September 30, 2021, 08:08:20 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2021, 08:11:56 PM by Mr. Kanye West »

Manchin is extremely stupid and grasping at straws.

Medicare isn't for Working people it's for Disabled and Seniors, Manchin wants to maximize the Working people that's why he won't renew Unemployment, there are 8M people unemployed and 11M job openings, but they're not white collar jobs they're Factory work where you have to work weekends and Overnight, I worked 4 yrs I. A Factory

Bus Driver and Truck Driver alot of immigrant jobs and immigration has been cut because we had the close Border due to Covid that's partly why Parliamentary doesn't want to open up amnesty and SCOTUS is against amnesty illegals bring in viruses
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1735 on: September 30, 2021, 08:14:32 PM »

I don’t see what there is meet about.

They are trying to  us over, show of hands, who wants to let them?

Good meeting
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #1736 on: September 30, 2021, 08:15:20 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2021, 08:18:35 PM by UBI man good »

Not me watching Luca to destress before the vote.
JMT

« Reply #1737 on: September 30, 2021, 08:19:42 PM »

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1738 on: September 30, 2021, 08:33:54 PM »

Remember when we thought it was the progressive wing hurting Democratic unity? Ah good times.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1739 on: September 30, 2021, 08:34:27 PM »

I’ve said this earlier, but what could possibly come of these meetings that would be acceptable?
Is there anything Kyrsten Sinema could agree to she couldn’t back out of after passage?
Do we have any reason to believe she won’t?
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1740 on: September 30, 2021, 08:38:24 PM »

Also reading the follow-up tweet, ‘show up early and vote no, don’t celebrate when it fails’
She seems a mite more confident than Gottheimer trying to convince everyone it’s a done deal with some talking head.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #1741 on: September 30, 2021, 08:50:52 PM »

If Biden can pass an infrastructure bill, he is a better president than Obama. I won't ding him because of Covid. It's not his fault.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #1742 on: September 30, 2021, 09:07:29 PM »

Wut no vote tonight?
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #1743 on: September 30, 2021, 09:11:10 PM »

No additional guidance yet, not sure what the plan is. You can get around Clause 8 of rule 20 scheduling the vote for 2 legislative days after the request for it by leaving the house in recess (vs adjourned) so the legislative day never ends (calendar day change is irrelevant), seems like they may do just that.

JMT

« Reply #1744 on: September 30, 2021, 09:18:23 PM »

Ugh, I was hoping an agreement would come. Still hoping Pelosi has something up her sleeve.

I honestly think both Manchin/Sinema and the Congressional Progressive Caucus are being unreasonable here. Manchin/Sinema need to be more vocal and honest about what they want (and don't want) from reconciliation. It's impossible to negotiate effectively if you don't clearly state what you want. Manchin always complains that Washington sucks because nothing gets done. Well, this is an opportunity to get something BIG done, and now he seems to be in no rush at all to negotiate.

I also think it's absurd that the CPC will hold an enormously important and popular bill hostage because they didn't get assurances about everything they wanted in a separate bill. Members should vote for bills based on the merits of the bill, and stop playing these stupid political games. Also, isn't getting some of what you want better than getting nothing? Progressives never seem to take this into account, and they oftentimes lose because of it.

I wish members all took the approach of what I believe is the majority of the caucus, and what the majority of Democratic voters would think is the best approach: vote for the bipartisan bill NOW (especially since the House vote is the only thing standing in the way of passage), while also promising a robust reconciliation bill once it's ready to pass.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1745 on: September 30, 2021, 09:23:04 PM »

Ugh, I was hoping an agreement would come. Still hoping Pelosi has something up her sleeve.

I honestly think both Manchin/Sinema and the Congressional Progressive Caucus are being unreasonable here. Manchin/Sinema need to be more vocal and honest about what they want (and don't want) from reconciliation. It's impossible to negotiate effectively if you don't clearly state what you want. Manchin always complains that Washington sucks because nothing gets done. Well, this is an opportunity to get something BIG done, and now he seems to be in no rush at all to negotiate.

I also think it's absurd that the CPC will hold an enormously important and popular bill hostage because they didn't get assurances about everything they wanted in a separate bill. Members should vote for bills based on the merits of the bill, and stop playing these stupid political games. Also, isn't getting some of what you want better than getting nothing? Progressives never seem to take this into account, and they oftentimes lose because of it.

I wish members all took the approach of what I believe is the majority of the caucus, and what the majority of Democratic voters would think is the best approach: vote for the bipartisan bill NOW (especially since the House vote is the only thing standing in the way of passage), while also promising a robust reconciliation bill once it's ready to pass.

Manchin and Sinema would abandon the reconciliation deal, itself enormously popular, the second the infrastructure deal is passed. Their promises mean nothing as they've clearly shown
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1746 on: September 30, 2021, 09:23:20 PM »

Why do you believe a reconciliation bill would happen if the BIF passed now?
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1747 on: September 30, 2021, 09:26:39 PM »

And the Sinemanchin gambit appears to have failed (for now).

Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1748 on: September 30, 2021, 09:30:38 PM »

Great point from Bernie.

Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #1749 on: September 30, 2021, 09:33:46 PM »

So I think the debate on the house floor is postponed For how long no one seems to know.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies