Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 11:56:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 247581 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: August 14, 2021, 05:09:38 PM »

It's all over Yahoo that Moderate D's are blocking AOC squad over making Pelosi pass the infrastructure deal first to Biden and the Reconciliation, next.

AOC was on MTP all summer long saying she had the upper hand on making Pelosi pass both bills together, don't count your chickens🐔🐔🐔

Moderates aren't bucking down on this, Pelosi only has a 2 seat Majority
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #976 on: August 14, 2021, 09:08:17 PM »

So many of you don't appreciate the power of Speaker Pelosi. If there's anyone that can navigate this, it's her. There is no one in the federal government I have more confidence in than her.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #977 on: August 14, 2021, 09:40:22 PM »

So many of you don't appreciate the power of Speaker Pelosi. If there's anyone that can navigate this, it's her. There is no one in the federal government I have more confidence in than her.

Seriously, Pelosi doesn't miss.  When is the last time Pelosi screwed up?

Pelosi is seriously the most underrated American politician.  Look at Boehner and Ryan, and that chump Kevin McCarthy.  Pelosi always wins.

Like imagine if Kevin McCarthy was a Democrat and had to run the Dem House Caucus right now, what a disaster that would be.  Or imagine if Pelosi was a Republican and had been running the House under Trump, just how much stuff would have gotten shoved through.

Reminder that Pelosi passed mountains upon mountains of legislation in the first 100 days of Obama's presidency that completely reshaped America and erased most of the Bush legacy.  But everyone forgets that, and then says "lol Obama had 60 votes and what did he do" because he didn't pass their pet policy.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #978 on: August 14, 2021, 09:54:56 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2021, 10:00:25 PM by Mr. Kanye West »

Seriously, Pelosi doesn't miss.  When is the last time Pelosi screwed up?

Pelosi is seriously the most underrated American politician.  Look at Boehner and Ryan, and that chump Kevin McCarthy.  Pelosi always wins.

Like imagine if Kevin McCarthy was a Democrat and had to run the Dem House Caucus right now, what a disaster that would be.  Or imagine if Pelosi was a Republican and had been running the House under Trump, just how much stuff would have gotten shoved through.

Reminder that Pelosi passed mountains upon mountains of legislation in the first 100 days of Obama's presidency that completely reshaped America and erased most of the Bush legacy.  But everyone forgets that, and then says "lol Obama had 60 votes and what did he do" because he didn't pass their pet policy.

Pelosi did screw up, she held the 2.2T Stimulus package hostage in time for the Election and she ended up losing seats and we lost ME and NC as a result

That's why we are in the bind we are in, in the H, we were supposed to gain seats, Pelosi screwed up

I know Pelosi, I lived in her district where there are homeless people, that's why near downtown they let you rode buses all night for free due to homelessness

SF is still a beautiful city due to the fact it doesn't snow despite the DROUGHT

Pelosi is  imperfect, she ended up with 900B stimulus, and the reason why we still have cases they don't test anymore, part of the Stimulus was to test and trace, once they got vaccines they stopped offering food and water for testing sites

Vaccine sites don't have food or water they just give you the shot
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #979 on: August 15, 2021, 12:09:14 AM »

If Biden ends up pulling this off I believe the big lesson for both parties should be that experience really does matter. I understand that both sides want an outsider who has not been in Washington for too long, but just look at how that worked out for Trump when he tried to pass his health care bill and immigration reform or even Obama when he struggled to pass anything else after the ACA was signed into law in 2010.

The lesson that experience matters should have been learned after the Carter presidency.

This is kind of ironic since Carter actually had more experience than Obama and Trump before he became president lol

unilke those 2 Carter was a Georgia state senator (1963–1967) and The Governor of Georgia (1971–1975)

The carter years shows us that this is a very tough job even for someone with a decent amount of experience and that is a big reason why both parties should not be trying to make 1 term junior senators or reality tv show stars the next president of the united states

Carter had zero Washington experience and his cabinet and staff were largely outsiders as well. Worse than that, they were proud of being outsiders and largely disdained Washington experience.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #980 on: August 15, 2021, 12:16:33 AM »

Pelosi did screw up, she held the 2.2T Stimulus package hostage in time for the Election and she ended up losing seats and we lost ME and NC as a result

That's why we are in the bind we are in, in the H, we were supposed to gain seats, Pelosi screwed up

I know Pelosi, I lived in her district where there are homeless people, that's why near downtown they let you rode buses all night for free due to homelessness

SF is still a beautiful city due to the fact it doesn't snow despite the DROUGHT

Pelosi is  imperfect, she ended up with 900B stimulus, and the reason why we still have cases they don't test anymore, part of the Stimulus was to test and trace, once they got vaccines they stopped offering food and water for testing sites

She held up a stimulus package that was never going to get past Mitch McConnell. She did allow Jon Ossoff and Rafael Warnock to run on $2000 checks.

I hope the day is far away, but I'm probably going to be in tears when Pelosi gives her farewell address. She truly is one of the greats in a way most haven't seen or recognized.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #981 on: August 15, 2021, 07:27:39 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2021, 06:40:03 PM by Virginiá »

Seriously, Pelosi doesn't miss.  When is the last time Pelosi screwed up?

Pelosi is seriously the most underrated American politician.  Look at Boehner and Ryan, and that chump Kevin McCarthy.  Pelosi always wins.

Like imagine if Kevin McCarthy was a Democrat and had to run the Dem House Caucus right now, what a disaster that would be.  Or imagine if Pelosi was a Republican and had been running the House under Trump, just how much stuff would have gotten shoved through.

Reminder that Pelosi passed mountains upon mountains of legislation in the first 100 days of Obama's presidency that completely reshaped America and erased most of the Bush legacy.  But everyone forgets that, and then says "lol Obama had 60 votes and what did he do" because he didn't pass their pet policy.

Pelosi did screw up, she held the 2.2T Stimulus package hostage
in time for the Election and she ended up losing seats and we lost ME and NC as a result

Pelosi is  imperfect, she ended up with 900B stimulus, and the reason why we still have cases they don't test anymore, part of the Stimulus was to test and trace, once they got vaccines they stopped offering food and water for testing sites

If you honestly think Mitch McConnell was ever going to pass the Dems 2.2T Stimulus package I have some Trump property in Florida to sell you lol

Let's be very clear about this Mitch McConnell wanted a far smaller package that did not even include stimulus checks. The only reason he even agreed to adding the 600 dollar checks in the bill is because of the Georgia election and he thought this would help him hold on to the senate

In the end Nancy made the right call by not agreeing to take the chump change that Mitch offered because the Dems went on win in Georgia and she ended up passing the 2.2T Stimulus package
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #982 on: August 16, 2021, 07:50:37 PM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #983 on: August 16, 2021, 08:03:40 PM »

I agree with her. It's probably a bluff.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #984 on: August 16, 2021, 08:05:08 PM »

Get ‘em, Nancy. This is close to your last hurrah.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #985 on: August 17, 2021, 04:48:49 PM »

She's calling their bluff:

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #986 on: August 17, 2021, 04:54:57 PM »

I'd like to remind everybody that this is Pelosi whom we're talking about here, & she doesn't move forward on a vote 'til she already knows that she has the votes. So, she clearly has the votes. Bet against her - & go broke - at your own peril.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #987 on: August 17, 2021, 05:30:57 PM »

I gotta give credit to Sawx & co, you guys were right about Gottheimer.  He turned out to be quite the miserable little dirtbag.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #988 on: August 17, 2021, 05:45:54 PM »

I gotta give credit to Sawx & co, you guys were right about Gottheimer.  He turned out to be quite the miserable little dirtbag.

I'm in his district and I'll be looking to support his primary opponent next June.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #989 on: August 17, 2021, 06:35:30 PM »

I'm in his district and I'll be looking to support his primary opponent next June.

He is probably getting a friendlier district though, perhaps an all-Bergen one, but it still probably won't be the type that would nominate a challenger over him.

At best we can probably just hope that a safer district makes him feel like he has to be a "moderate hero" less.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #990 on: August 17, 2021, 07:07:04 PM »

I'd like to remind everybody that this is Pelosi whom we're talking about here, & she doesn't move forward on a vote 'til she already knows that she has the votes. So, she clearly has the votes. Bet against her - & go broke - at your own peril.

Yeah, she knows how things work. For one, the GOP caucus usually isn't at full attendance - I know the media loves their dems can only lose 3 line, but on most days they can get away with losing 6,8,10 due to GOP members who are against proxy voting on principle and don't show up on any given day for whatever reason.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #991 on: August 18, 2021, 10:55:32 AM »

When do the votes happen?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #992 on: August 20, 2021, 09:39:16 AM »

Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #993 on: August 20, 2021, 10:54:16 AM »

I get no feeling the Democrats even want an infrastructure bill passed, let alone any of that other stuff that's meant to be passed in reconciliation. Remember that a big dig was always a Trump (not even a GOP, just Trump) priority that Biden ran with.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #994 on: August 20, 2021, 06:25:23 PM »

I get no feeling the Democrats even want an infrastructure bill passed, let alone any of that other stuff that's meant to be passed in reconciliation. Remember that a big dig was always a Trump (not even a GOP, just Trump) priority that Biden ran with.

Would be pretty odd to have a bill passed in the Senate by all 50 democrats, in the very first months of the Biden presidency, if they didn't really care one way or the other about it. In any case, this whole spat seems more like a disagreement on timing than anything substantial, though I agree more with the moderates here.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #995 on: August 20, 2021, 07:17:10 PM »

vote when
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #996 on: August 20, 2021, 08:11:21 PM »

They are talking about next week
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #997 on: August 21, 2021, 01:29:52 AM »

Would be pretty odd to have a bill passed in the Senate by all 50 democrats, in the very first months of the Biden presidency, if they didn't really care one way or the other about it. In any case, this whole spat seems more like a disagreement on timing than anything substantial, though I agree more with the moderates here.

It's the nature of the Senate and the fact that senate Democrats are less representative of the Democratic party than the House. But yeah I should have made clearer that congressional Democrats are not going to drop or let die an initiative championed by their president even if they themselves are indifferent to it. The congressional GOP on the other hand...
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #998 on: August 22, 2021, 02:06:42 AM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #999 on: August 22, 2021, 07:39:28 AM »

It’s useless to think like this but this basically where Republicans were with taxes 4 years ago. They have to do something or what’s the point? Might as well default if Democrats can’t pass the budget.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies