Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 09:24:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 247565 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: August 01, 2021, 02:09:33 PM »

Does anyone think Pelosi's threat to hold the infrastructure bill hostage to a reconciliation package will hold up? It seems to me she will have to accept what both Sinema and Manchin are willing to accept, and if it drags out, she might face a discharge petition to at least get the infrastructure bill passed. I don't think the hold hostage approach will be popular (particular if interest and inflation begin to inch up), and the optics are terrible. Team Sanders and Pelosi at least in public seem to act as if they have cards to play in their deck, that I at least can't discern myself.  Am I missing something here?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #776 on: August 01, 2021, 02:40:17 PM »

The Senate is going to take up the reconciliation bill right away and the House is on vacation so I don't think it matters. They'll come back to both.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #777 on: August 01, 2021, 02:53:41 PM »

I can't believe people are here are actually buying into Sinema BS lol
I don't for 1 second believe that she will vote against the reconciliation bill if even Joe Manchin ends up supporting it in the end

I mean, when January came, there were a quite a few users convinced Manchin and Sinema wouldn't actually block FB reform / HR1 when push came to shove, and block it they did.

Not saying she will vote against it in the end, but to be so sure about it is not appropriate. There is a decent amount of evidence at this point that Sinema is an opportunist and far from the leftist she pretended to be rising through the ranks in Arizona, who is completely fine with blocking that bill and others if she thinks it will benefit her (possibly post-political career) or otherwise make her life easier.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #778 on: August 01, 2021, 02:54:03 PM »

Does anyone think Pelosi's threat to hold the infrastructure bill hostage to a reconciliation package will hold up? It seems to me she will have to accept what both Sinema and Manchin are willing to accept, and if it drags out, she might face a discharge petition to at least get the infrastructure bill passed. I don't think the hold hostage approach will be popular (particular if interest and inflation begin to inch up), and the optics are terrible. Team Sanders and Pelosi at least in public seem to act as if they have cards to play in their deck, that I at least can't discern myself.  Am I missing something here?

Congress waits til the end of the ye to pay it's bills anyways there will be some sort of deal combined with the debt ceiling, we have gone thru this every yr, they gotta pass budget deal so the shutdown doesn't materialize in the Fall and it will happen with Reconciliation

These same Maverick Senators including Warmer and Cassidy were instrumental in passing stimulus plus an Omnibus spending bill last yr
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #779 on: August 01, 2021, 03:51:26 PM »

Lmao to anybody who actually believes Sinema here. Just like Manchin tHrEaTeNiNg not to vote for the ARP. It's the cycle.
If it's all kabuki why is there a filibuster?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #780 on: August 01, 2021, 04:26:43 PM »

Yes, getting nothing is unambiguously better than passing something Sinema wants enacted without getting significant progressive legislation passed in exchange.  If Manchin, Tester, and Sinema (R-AZ), aren’t going to keep their word then the House should kill their pet piece of crap.  The deal was their pet piece of crap in exchange for the $3.5 billion reconciliation bill.  The Democrats deserve to lose the House if the “bipartisan” piece of crap gets passed by Congress and the reconciliation bill doesn’t.

Biden can piss off too btw, he’s enabling this nonsense by acting like a passive, impotent bystander instead of a President.  He needs to take a less from Pelosi and Schumer and start doing his job for a change.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #781 on: August 01, 2021, 04:38:21 PM »

Yes, getting nothing is unambiguously better than passing something Sinema wants enacted without getting significant progressive legislation passed in exchange.  If Manchin, Tester, and Sinema (R-AZ), aren’t going to keep their word then the House should kill their pet piece of crap.  The deal was their pet piece of crap in exchange for the $3.5 billion reconciliation bill.  The Democrats deserve to lose the House if the “bipartisan” piece of crap gets passed by Congress and the reconciliation bill doesn’t.

Biden can piss off too btw, he’s enabling this nonsense by acting like a passive, impotent bystander instead of a President.  He needs to take a less from Pelosi and Schumer and start doing his job for a change.

Thank you for your opinion, but I guess the issue is whether or not team Pelosi shares that point of view as well, that nothing is better than something, for whatever reason. Granted, you seem to be saying that the infrastructure bill is bad on its own merits, for whatever reason.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #782 on: August 01, 2021, 10:54:00 PM »

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #783 on: August 02, 2021, 11:15:29 AM »

I am skeptical a discharge petition would ever be used against Pelosi. It takes a remarkable circumstance for it to be used and she has good if not perfect control of her caucus.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #784 on: August 02, 2021, 11:48:50 AM »

I am skeptical a discharge petition would ever be used against Pelosi. It takes a remarkable circumstance for it to be used and she has good if not perfect control of her caucus.

I understand, but I suspect the threat of it has caused tacking in the past. I just don't believe that ending up with nothing is going to happen, so somebody is going to have to tack.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #785 on: August 02, 2021, 05:52:50 PM »

It's far easier to do it than it would be in most congresses because of the narrow margin.
Even if only half as many Dems would sign on as the number of Rs that signed the 2018 immigration discharge attempt, it would have the votes to go forward. It's important to remember that the "calendar monday only" rule that the GOP used to limit opportunity for the immigration petition was eliminated in a compromise with the problem solvers caucus when Pelosi became Speaker - short of adjourning the House for the rest of the year, there's nothing Pelosi can do if the signatures are there. And they might be eventually.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #786 on: August 04, 2021, 09:24:36 AM »

What's going on now with it?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #787 on: August 04, 2021, 10:13:18 AM »

They're working through amendments. McConnell urged Schumer to let it play out to keep everyone happy on his side.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #788 on: August 05, 2021, 05:53:41 PM »

The Congressional Budget Office confirms what many of us had already suspected:

CBO: Infrastructure Bill Would Add $256 Billion to Deficit
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #789 on: August 05, 2021, 10:19:35 PM »

Senate is trying to get an agreement for various amendment votes and final passage to happen overnight or tomorrow. The Eunice Lee cloture vote is being held open while Senators continue to talk on the floor.

If there is no deal, Senators will take a series of procedural votes over the weekend:

Saturday: Cloture on Schumer Manager's Amendment, as amended by the previous amendments
Sunday: Final on Schumer Amendment, Cloture on Bill
Monday: Motion to Override Budget Point of Order (if needed), Final on Bill.

Once this bill is passed the Senate will start on the budget resolution.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #790 on: August 05, 2021, 10:54:14 PM »

Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #791 on: August 07, 2021, 11:18:04 AM »

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #792 on: August 07, 2021, 11:49:34 AM »

Vote has indeed passed 60.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #793 on: August 07, 2021, 12:14:00 PM »

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #794 on: August 07, 2021, 03:47:22 PM »

GOP yes votes:

Blunt, Capito, Cassidy, Collins, Cornyn, Cramer, Crapo, Fischer, Grassley, Hoeven, McConnell, Murkowski, Portman, Risch, Rounds, Romney, Tillis, Young
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #795 on: August 07, 2021, 04:00:12 PM »

GOP yes votes:

Blunt, Capito, Cassidy, Collins, Cornyn, Cramer, Crapo, Fischer, Grassley, Hoeven, McConnell, Murkowski, Portman, Risch, Rounds, Romney, Tillis, Young

Not Daines? Must be a very partisan package then, I want a little more bipartisanship still
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #796 on: August 07, 2021, 04:14:42 PM »

Heres Trump's view:
Trump slams McConnell, infrastructure package: 'A disgrace'

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/566838-trump-slams-mcconnell-infrastructure-package-a-disgrace
Former President Trump on Saturday slammed the Senate's $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure package just hours before the upper chamber is scheduled to vote on winding down debate, calling the bill a “disgrace” and pushing Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) to negotiate a better deal.

The ex-commander in chief issued the message from his Save America PAC, accusing Republican leaders of satisfying the policy agenda of Democrats and telling GOP senators to think “twice before you approve this terrible deal.”

“Joe Biden’s infrastructure bill is a disgrace,” Trump wrote. “If Mitch McConnell was smart, which we’ve seen no evidence of, he would use the debt ceiling card to negotiate a good infrastructure package.”

Trump went on to express doubt that lawmakers have actually read through the entirety of the 2,700-page infrastructure proposal, arguing, “They would have needed to take speed reading courses.”

“It is a gift to the Democrat Party, compliments of Mitch McConnell and some RINOs [Republicans in name only], who have no idea what they are doing,” he added.

Trump, who has used his platform in recent months to throw his support behind allied congressional candidates running in 2022, warned Saturday that the “infrastructure bill will be used against the Republican Party in the upcoming elections in 2022 and 2024.”
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #797 on: August 07, 2021, 04:52:11 PM »

As long as the Biden DOJ leaves Trump alone, Trump is gonna continue to interfere in the politics, just like he is doing with Voter Suppression

They keep talking about Jan 6th Instead of Ukraine
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #798 on: August 07, 2021, 05:51:54 PM »

Looks like Biden has pulled off an historic, bipartisan achievement. Where are all the very smart media people now who called him a senile old fool for even trying? When will the President receive their formal, preferably written, apologies?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #799 on: August 07, 2021, 06:11:45 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 236  
« previous next »