Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 11:15:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 246522 times)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: June 24, 2021, 01:40:51 PM »
« edited: June 24, 2021, 02:14:36 PM by Tsaiite »

This is a genuinely excellent bill. Having read through the funding breakdowns, the hard infrastructure spending is better than 1. Biden's original proposal and 2. all the leaks which discussed what might end up in there. I'm extremely pleasantly surprised, and I hope the senate and house pass this bill exactly as proposed. The American Families Plan can always happen through reconciliation later on.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #501 on: June 24, 2021, 02:36:43 PM »

This is a genuinely excellent bill. Having read through the funding breakdowns, the hard infrastructure spending is better than 1. Biden's original proposal and 2. all the leaks which discussed what might end up in there. I'm extremely pleasantly surprised, and I hope the senate and house pass this bill exactly as proposed. The American Families Plan can always happen through reconciliation later on.

This, though 1.8 or 2 trillion would have even been better. I hope they get the other things done through reconciliation. Especially the green energy investments.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #502 on: June 24, 2021, 02:47:27 PM »

Politically, it would be among the dumbest moves ever for the GOP to go along with this bill

Biden can

A) brag about getting infrastructure passed
B) brag about doing it in a bipartisan manner
C) pass all the other stuff through reconciliation

The dems made a brilliant play by not going along with Tim Scott’s criminal justice reform bill, knowing it would give Trump a win before the election

What in the world are republicans thinking?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #503 on: June 24, 2021, 02:58:49 PM »

Biden, Pelosi, Schumer, & Bernie have all made clear that this bipartisan bill isn't passing without Manchin/Sinema agreeing to a follow-up reconciliation package that contains the remainder of the American Jobs & Families Plans, so it's fine by me.
Motorcity

« Reply #504 on: June 24, 2021, 03:12:04 PM »

Politically, it would be among the dumbest moves ever for the GOP to go along with this bill

Biden can

The dems made a brilliant play by not going along with Tim Scott’s criminal justice reform bill, knowing it would give Trump a win before the election

If Republicans don't agree to a bipartisan deal, Democrats get everything they want through reconcillation AND all the credit.

This way, Republicans can get credit for physical infrastructure which is popular with their base. And won't hurt them farther with independents. They also think that Manchin/Sinema might tamper the reconcillation bill after a bipartisan infrastructure bill.
Motorcity

« Reply #505 on: June 24, 2021, 03:14:55 PM »

Good for Biden

If he does what he says, bipartisan infrastructure bill and everything else by reconcillation, than it will be a major success

If he can pass free college and public option by the FY 2023 bill, his first two years will be a major success
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #506 on: June 24, 2021, 03:17:01 PM »

Here’s the trailer line

“If this is the only thing that comes to me, I’m not signing it,” Mr. Biden said during remarks in the East Room of the White House. “It’s in tandem.”

So yeah, I’m all on board. I still worry about one of the two botching the reconciliation package after the compromise infrastructure package is through, but they have staked so much of their reputations on it that I think it is unlikely.
Motorcity

« Reply #507 on: June 24, 2021, 03:19:00 PM »

The House shouldn’t even let this pile of garbage come to a vote unless the Senate passes a 4-5 trillion dollar reconciliation bill first. 
Who's gonna pay for this $950B package? Did they keep the tax hikes on the rich?

Edit: nvm saw that there's no new taxes. Garbage
Would ya'll calm down?

Biden wanted 2 trillion for physical infrastructure and 2 trillion for human infrastrucure.

The budget request was 6 trillion (the final 2 trillion was just the normal budget)

The bipartisan deal was 1.2 trillion. I'm sure the rest will be passed by reconcillation

And yes, there will proabably be tax increases

And even if there isn't, who cares? Debt and deficit don't really matter its just conservative talking points. Besides, the economic acivity will raise revenues anyway.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #508 on: June 24, 2021, 03:21:38 PM »

Five Republicans aren’t ten.

All 11 Republican members of the bipartisan G21 group support it, so it has the votes unless & until McConnell f**ks it up.
Motorcity

« Reply #509 on: June 24, 2021, 03:23:05 PM »

Can we talk about how absurd it is to see Romney stand next to Biden

Imagine telling someone after the 2012 election that President Joe Biden, just starting his FIRST term in 2021, was making a deal with SENATOR Mitt Romney (Utah). Who was one of the most moderate republicans in the senate

This is so crazy

1. Most people assumed Biden would be too old in 2016, much less 2020

2. They wouldn't understand how Hillary isn't President

3. Democrats ran a platform painting Romney as a out of touch and far right conservative.

4. Romney did everything in his power to take out Obama/Biden in 2012. Them winning set the stage for Biden to win in 2020

Crazy
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #510 on: June 24, 2021, 03:24:41 PM »

Yeah it looks like there’s about as much spending on car infrastructure as on trains/public transit which is really fantastic considering how these things go (and some leaks yesterday that the ratio would be like 90-10).
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #511 on: June 24, 2021, 03:27:11 PM »

Reconciliation and death have something in common.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #512 on: June 24, 2021, 03:39:00 PM »

Who's gonna pay for this $950B package? Did they keep the tax hikes on the rich?

I've read that it is fully paid for, partially through stronger IRS enforcement.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #513 on: June 24, 2021, 03:39:24 PM »

Biden can

Because doing the right thing for the country is more important than getting credit for yourself at the expense of Americans?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #514 on: June 24, 2021, 03:42:57 PM »

I've read that it is fully paid for, partially through stronger IRS enforcement.

Yes, in addition to reshuffling unused COVID-relief money (like Biden said, he didn't get everything he wanted, as this had once been a no-go), extending customs user fees, reinstating Superfund fees for chemicals, & 5G spectrum auction proceeds. The reconciliation package will still be paid for by enacting a tax increase on corporations & wealthy Americans.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #515 on: June 24, 2021, 04:29:01 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2021, 04:37:09 PM by Torie »

There seems to be assumption that the Dems have 50 votes locked down for more, a lot more, in reconciliation. What is that based on? And why is it assumed that the "moderate" Pubs don't have some assurance as to how much more Manchin/Sinema, etc. will go for in reconciliation, before delivery their votes for more than they might like in a 60 vote bill? Why in compromise give up more than you would like, and would otherwise agree to, if you held the whip on the high ground, in exchange for basically nothing? The only way that would make sense is if the gang of 11 thought that it was in their, or the Pub party's, interest, to do so, come election time.

I am not really asserting the "progressives" here are wrong, and the "Torie Dem" is right, I am just asking if there is a piece of the puzzle that I am missing.

The Torie Dem is concerned personally, that spending on steroids, with not much pay for, or pseudo pay for, or counterproductive pay for, has negative long term consequences, including for the "progressives" down the line. I hope I am wrong on that - not for me personally with a relatively  short half life, stick it to me baby, but for those who will be around considerably longer.

By the way, putting "controversial" words is "quotes" is my shield. Just a hat tip for you young punks out there, who in so short a time have otherwise lapped me in knowledge and perspicacity. May the force be with you.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #516 on: June 24, 2021, 04:37:45 PM »

Biden can

Because doing the right thing for the country is more important than getting credit for yourself at the expense of Americans?

Wish the democrats had this mindset when they filibustered Tim Scott’s police reform bill
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #517 on: June 24, 2021, 04:40:50 PM »

The D's can make it more Green New Deal when they get more seats, Bernie said he going for the 6T Deal in 2023 if D's net the Trifecta again

FL is probably a lost cause due to DeSantis but OH, NC, AK, MO and IA aren't safe R and have blue collar D's running

I never intended to donate to Ds in FL due to DeSantis
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #518 on: June 24, 2021, 04:49:17 PM »

Biden can

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #519 on: June 24, 2021, 04:56:25 PM »

Welp, Graham is one of the 11 Republican members of their G21 gang, so if they lose even just 1 more member of the sub-group thereof that wasn't directly involved in these bipartisan infrastructure negotiations - Burr, Moran, Rounds, Tillis, & Young - then it was a fun ride while it lasted. "Reconciliation 2: Electric Boogaloo" it will fully be, then.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #520 on: June 24, 2021, 05:06:22 PM »

Not nearly enough, but it's a tiny, tiny start at least.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #521 on: June 24, 2021, 05:07:18 PM »

I am not worried, the D's can amend the Green Jobs Act once they get more seats, the D's know this, after 2022
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #522 on: June 24, 2021, 05:13:35 PM »

Why was Sinema disguised as a traffic cone?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #523 on: June 24, 2021, 05:20:30 PM »

My read is that Democrats are going to pass everything they can get 50 votes for, but Manchin and Sinema will feel better about it if at least part of it is "bipartisan," and this way Republicans get to vote Yes on the stuff they like and won't look like fools like they did when they were touting the benefits of the American Rescue bill they all votes against. Seems like a reasonable compromise all around, and very gracious of Democrats to share in this victory.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #524 on: June 24, 2021, 05:27:13 PM »

A major bipartisan victory like this is hard to come by, so I'm not sure why Democrats want to imperil its chances by tying it to a much more partisan package. They should just pass it now and worry about everything else later.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies