Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 02:38:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 247187 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: June 03, 2021, 11:27:06 PM »

At least, Angus King is not delusional like Manchin & Sinema.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #401 on: June 03, 2021, 11:32:32 PM »

This is why I’m pretty sure that the filibuster is only a thing because of Manchin and Sinema’s arrogance. I believe fully well that there is a fairly large minority who likes Manchin taking the heat for killing things, but I don’t think any of them are particularly sympathetic to the random rule that says Mitch McConnell gets to kill anything, at least not in the face of a concerted effort from state level republicans to ensure that their voters can’t vote.

I mean when Angus freaking King is openly ready to go, I can’t imagine anyone else is holding out.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #402 on: June 04, 2021, 08:03:21 AM »

This is why I’m pretty sure that the filibuster is only a thing because of Manchin and Sinema’s arrogance. I believe fully well that there is a fairly large minority who likes Manchin taking the heat for killing things, but I don’t think any of them are particularly sympathetic to the random rule that says Mitch McConnell gets to kill anything, at least not in the face of a concerted effort from state level republicans to ensure that their voters can’t vote.

I mean when Angus freaking King is openly ready to go, I can’t imagine anyone else is holding out.

Angus King is easily more liberal then Sinema, and more sensible
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #403 on: June 04, 2021, 09:23:03 AM »

King is for sure more grounded in reality. Manchin and Sinema have the mindset of 90s or even 70s politician when there was more cooperation in congress, thinking the GOP is still open for business when they're clearly not negotiating in good faith. King appears to more realistic about the fact the GOP today isn't a serious politicial party than you can argue with on issues and reach some reasonable compromises.

It really bothers me we risk to throw this 2 year window because of Manchin's and Sinema's arrgogance away. In the end, Biden and Harris will be blamed for that despite doing all the best they can with this congressional makeup.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #404 on: June 04, 2021, 04:39:33 PM »

If all Senate Dems come around to using the nuclear option except Manchin and Sinema, Biden, Harris, and Schumer need to make it very clear, in a very explicit way, that the filibuster is only sticking around because of those two. Manchin doesn't even need his chairmanship taken away. Harris can be dispatched to WV and AZ and directly make the case to the press and voters there that progress isn't happening because of Manchin, Sinema, and McConnell, not because of Biden or Schumer.

Furthermore, if people like King, Coons, and Kelly, or other quiet pro-filibuster Dems come around to the nuclear option, that can be a very strong pressure on Manchin and Sinema. Biden and Schumer should consider some very uncomfortable and frank meetings with both of them.

It may be a scorched earth method, but if nothing else works and infra, voting rights, and other legislation literally goes nowhere, Dems won't have a choice.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #405 on: June 04, 2021, 04:59:51 PM »

Murkowski, Sinema, Collins, Manchin and Romney are sticking together just like McCain, Warner stuck together on the Rs not abolishing the Judiciary Filibuster until 2013, it's a problem and it's not going away anytime soon

That's why the Extra 300 is going away, Manchin and Tester agreed not to sign on another check
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #406 on: June 04, 2021, 05:01:34 PM »

King is for sure more grounded in reality. Manchin and Sinema have the mindset of 90s or even 70s politician when there was more cooperation in congress, thinking the GOP is still open for business when they're clearly not negotiating in good faith. King appears to more realistic about the fact the GOP today isn't a serious politicial party than you can argue with on issues and reach some reasonable compromises.

It really bothers me we risk to throw this 2 year window because of Manchin's and Sinema's arrgogance away. In the end, Biden and Harris will be blamed for that despite doing all the best they can with this congressional makeup.

Pelosi is putting together a Select Committee on Insurrectionists and Congress still have Appropriation bills to do, so infrastructure spending isn't all that necessary, Congress has plenty to do

Before Covid, all Trump passed were Appropriation bills
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #407 on: June 04, 2021, 05:06:32 PM »

If all Senate Dems come around to using the nuclear option except Manchin and Sinema, Biden, Harris, and Schumer need to make it very clear, in a very explicit way, that the filibuster is only sticking around because of those two. Manchin doesn't even need his chairmanship taken away. Harris can be dispatched to WV and AZ and directly make the case to the press and voters there that progress isn't happening because of Manchin, Sinema, and McConnell, not because of Biden or Schumer.

Furthermore, if people like King, Coons, and Kelly, or other quiet pro-filibuster Dems come around to the nuclear option, that can be a very strong pressure on Manchin and Sinema. Biden and Schumer should consider some very uncomfortable and frank meetings with both of them.

It may be a scorched earth method, but if nothing else works and infra, voting rights, and other legislation literally goes nowhere, Dems won't have a choice.
I'm pretty sure that most West Virginia voters don't like or care about Kamala lol.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #408 on: June 04, 2021, 05:08:53 PM »

I'm pretty sure that most West Virginia voters don't like or care about Kamala lol.

True, but it could sure have an impact in AZ. Sinema has already alienated Dems, liberal advocates, and labor organizers in part because of her decisions as well as effectively sidelining them in favor of the Chamber of Commerce. Turning up the pressure on her could be effective.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #409 on: June 04, 2021, 05:09:19 PM »

Kamala Harris can overturn the Parliamentary maneuver on the Minimum wage, the Biden Administration didn't want to risk it, that's why Manchin and Sinema are resisting
Cyrusman
« Reply #410 on: June 04, 2021, 06:29:34 PM »

You do realized Schumer had the ability to kill anything he wanted too in 2017, and 2018 right? If not for the fillabuster think of what Trump could’ve passed those years
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #411 on: June 08, 2021, 05:00:52 PM »

Can't blame President Biden when it is clear that congressional Republicans are just trying to string him along and wait out the clock:

CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #412 on: June 08, 2021, 05:02:30 PM »

At least he ended the nowhere discussion with Capito, but why he's still reaching across the aisle is mindboggling to me. Although he is meeting with Schumer, Sinema, and Manchin so hopefully he's really just focusing on getting the borderline Dems to agree to a deal.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #413 on: June 08, 2021, 05:06:25 PM »

Well, he tried. Good for Biden to recognize the Republicans weren't looking to compromise in good faith.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #414 on: June 08, 2021, 05:09:51 PM »

At least he ended the nowhere discussion with Capito, but why he's still reaching across the aisle is mindboggling to me. Although he is meeting with Schumer, Sinema, and Manchin so hopefully he's really just focusing on getting the borderline Dems to agree to a deal.
He did it because Joe Manchin has publicly demanded it.

So we’ve now cut the package in half for no gain at all. But thank god Mr. Manchin got to feed his ego.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #415 on: June 08, 2021, 05:12:13 PM »

So we’ve now cut the package in half for no gain at all. But thank god Mr. Manchin got to feed his ego.

What exactly was cut from the original package? I image it's stuff Biden/Dems may have wanted to jettison off anyways
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #416 on: June 08, 2021, 05:30:21 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2021, 05:37:45 PM by Frodo »

What exactly was cut from the original package? I image it's stuff Biden/Dems may have wanted to jettison off anyways

From what I was able to find:

The updated plan, which now costs about $1.7 trillion, features reduced funding for broadband, roads, bridges and other major projects, Reuters reported. White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Friday that some components, such as investments in research and development, had been removed but would be included in other bills. Broader details about the new package have not yet been made public by the administration.

A White House memo obtained by The Associated Press notes that the cut of research and development funds alone account for $480 billion of the $550 billion total removed from the proposal. The initial package would be paid for at least in part by corporate tax increases, and the memo notes that the administration has not budged on this plan, saying the "approach should ensure that corporations are paying their fair share."

So the bulk of what was removed was R&D funds, with the $70 billion remainder cut elsewhere.  

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #417 on: June 08, 2021, 06:11:55 PM »

Alright Manchin, there's your bipartisan charade. Now let's ram this through! Biden Budget Reconciliation 2.0, here we go!!

The $1T package was just the final counter-offer to the Senate GOP's offers, which they still didn't go for, so Biden & Congress are free to just budget reconciliation a package of whatever size they want (i.e., the original $2.3T) now.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #418 on: June 08, 2021, 06:14:29 PM »

Alright Manchin, there's your bipartisan charade. Now let's ram this through! Biden Budget Reconciliation 2.0, here we go!!

The $1T package was just the final counter-offer to the Senate GOP's offers, which they still didn't go for, so Biden & Congress are free to just budget reconciliation a package of whatever size they want (i.e., the original $2.3T) now.

In theory they could, but in practice every time something like this happens moderate Dems make them keep all the concessions in even though the GOP has walked away. I had thought them to be getting allot better about this with Biden, but Joe Manchin is still a thing.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #419 on: June 08, 2021, 06:17:29 PM »

In theory they could, but in practice every time something like this happens moderate Dems make them keep all the concessions in even though the GOP has walked away. I had thought them to be getting allot better about this with Biden, but Joe Manchin is still a thing.

I feel like some cuts were inevitable as they could be jettisoned off onto another bill
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #420 on: June 08, 2021, 06:23:30 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #421 on: June 08, 2021, 08:59:36 PM »

Manchin said no bipartisanship no infrastructure deal, Biden already broke his campaign promise to Prosecute Trump and Student Loans, we are still in a Pandemic and Rs aren't raising Corporate taxes as long as we are in a Pandemic. He can break his campaign promise on raising Corporate taxes.

1T is enough for now, he is gonna comeback to Rs anyways in the Fall

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #422 on: June 09, 2021, 09:36:23 AM »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republican-u-senator-romney-says-142724640.html

Manchin said no infrastructure bipartisan plan no deal, the bipartisan infrastructure plan includes no Raising taxes, which we are still in a Pandemic and Rs reject raising taxes, told you Biden is gonna have to come back to Capito if he wants a deal

The D's aren't gonna stay empowered forever and D's need DC Statehood in 2023 with 52/48 Senate, I advise D's to take the deal and raise taxes after they win in 2022

Electric vehicles and bullet trains aren't gonna be here in 10/15 yrs
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #423 on: June 09, 2021, 09:43:03 AM »

I doubt Biden would have ended the talks if there was no chance to pass this either without Capito agreement and or by reconciliation. I actually trust Biden and Schumer on this; they have decades of experience and clearly learned the lessons from Obama's 1st term.

I hope they pass a big package with Dem votes only; the GOP is not worth engaging with. Go bold and take the credit in 2022 and 2024 and show voters why the party of No should not be in power.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #424 on: June 09, 2021, 07:59:39 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2021, 08:06:18 PM by Frodo »

A bipartisan panel of House moderates (aka, the 'Problem Solvers Caucus') have weighed in:

House moderates unveil $1.25T infrastructure plan

We'll see how they fund this plan, but this is probably President Biden's best bet on getting that infrastructure package through, assuming Senator Manchin doesn't buy into reconciliation. 
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies