Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 07:16:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 246438 times)
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: April 13, 2021, 03:50:02 PM »

Owning MAGA by *checks the notes* close the public schools for poors and reduce the tax for top 1% rich Cry
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #251 on: April 13, 2021, 03:57:21 PM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #252 on: April 13, 2021, 05:12:40 PM »

I had to read this 5 times before I could understand it.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #253 on: April 13, 2021, 05:16:47 PM »

I had to read this 5 times before I could understand it.

They should be them and then it all makes sense
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #254 on: April 13, 2021, 05:33:10 PM »

Voters are showing they are concerned about wasted spending, amnesty which is causing the border crisis.

If you let more Latinos and Asians on, they want Entitlements
Boehner also said the SCOTUS JUDGES ARE STELLER, they aren't the most left wing judges but Harry Reid has also cautions on packing the Crts

The Ds are gonna have to wait until SCOTUS start overturning Progressive Legislation in order to Crt pack even D's like Feinstein, Kelly and Tester don't want to Crt pack.

This is why we may have a small D majority or a divided Congress, not the AOC Supermajority, that was supposed to happen in 2020
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #255 on: April 13, 2021, 05:41:46 PM »

Bowman too? Dang.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #256 on: April 13, 2021, 05:42:51 PM »

Quotes from Bowmaan said the SALT cap is racism.(Sarcasm btw but Bowmaan calls everything racism)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #257 on: April 13, 2021, 05:58:04 PM »

I’ve looked at this lab further and it’s really a major major disappointment.

A true major infrastructure bill would not only garner overwhelming support but would put more tangible evidence of this administration and congress getting things done

The bill needs to focus on simply: a faster safer power grid, rural broadband, nationwide 5G, new water lines, some highway improvements, new sage & symbolic bridges, improved airports and as much as $450B in rail expansion.

The plan out there comes woefully short of the mark

The Republican Party wouldnever vote for anything Biden puts forward. I for one am glad that his attitude to them is one of "Get on board or get out of my way"
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #258 on: April 13, 2021, 09:15:36 PM »

From a PR standpoint, if this passes, Biden is nearly 1/5 of the way there of major legislation and executive action he needs to get re-elected; immigration reform, citizenship for Dreamers, another round of stimulus till 2022, statehood for DC and PR, some sort of major foreign policy victory (his own peace deal? Iran?). The first 4 seem most likely to be doable by 2022.

The bill at hand is mainly just for preventing the poor from falling into starvation and mass eviction along with positive macroeconomic trends for the next three years. So far this country is getting back its footing, but I don’t believe Biden has the will or means now to go further and attempt to bring the pre-pandemic economy back, legislation wise and the fact that many businesses are now either bankrupt or pushed into being zombie corporations surviving on debt and occasional bailouts. The very minute fiscal policy isn’t working in tandem with the Fed, well then the stock market crash is gonna wipe away most of the jobs in this country. Oh well, here’s hoping it can be adverted at least a few years longer than 2030.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #259 on: April 13, 2021, 09:22:28 PM »

Weird how a DSA member wants tax cuts for wealthy people.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #260 on: April 14, 2021, 12:59:25 AM »

From a PR standpoint, if this passes, Biden is nearly 1/5 of the way there of major legislation and executive action he needs to get re-elected; immigration reform, citizenship for Dreamers, another round of stimulus till 2022, statehood for DC and PR, some sort of major foreign policy victory (his own peace deal? Iran?). The first 4 seem most likely to be doable by 2022.

The bill at hand is mainly just for preventing the poor from falling into starvation and mass eviction along with positive macroeconomic trends for the next three years. So far this country is getting back its footing, but I don’t believe Biden has the will or means now to go further and attempt to bring the pre-pandemic economy back, legislation wise and the fact that many businesses are now either bankrupt or pushed into being zombie corporations surviving on debt and occasional bailouts. The very minute fiscal policy isn’t working in tandem with the Fed, well then the stock market crash is gonna wipe away most of the jobs in this country. Oh well, here’s hoping it can be adverted at least a few years longer than 2030.

Immigration reform isn't happening anytime soon as Amnesty gives Latinos and Asians more Entitlements than everyone else

Now, Manchin already stated that D's should pass DC Statehood but PR Statehood no, for the same reason of amnesty

D's may only get 51/49 Senate next term winning WI, PA and NH and losing GA

We need to get Covid over with before we give amnesty to Latinos again, you see the border crisis
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #261 on: April 14, 2021, 03:34:09 AM »

As I've said before, the SALT cap as enacted puts a pressure on higher tax blue states to lower their taxes. These are the states that have more generous programs for those that need them, including Medicaid and other social welfare programs. Note how many low tax red states have restrictive Medicaid programs and have refused federal money to expand it as per the ACA. I don't necessarily support eliminating the cap, but I would support raising it to affect only the highest of earners.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #262 on: April 14, 2021, 06:33:10 AM »

I don't necessarily support eliminating the cap, but I would support raising it to affect only the highest of earners.

Isn't already? Take a look at the graph.

I mean the votes are in the House to kill it, if it isn't included, maybe they agree to raise the cap to a level where only the truly wealthy are affected, like say $70k or so.

Man, the following caclulations are probably somewhat misleading, but it is what it is. $4. Ok, may be $400.

https://www.crfb.org/blogs/repealing-salt-caps-would-cost-another-500-billion

Man, Pelosi is such a great messenger. Otherwise, how could she make "progressives" to defend this? She could easily make people to re-open the schools that would greatly benefit poor kids. Well, donors are more important, I guess.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #263 on: April 14, 2021, 07:01:17 AM »

I don't necessarily support eliminating the cap, but I would support raising it to affect only the highest of earners.

I mean the votes are in the House to kill it, if it isn't included, maybe they agree to raise the cap to a level where only the truly wealthy are affected, like say $70k or so.

Man, the following caclulations are probably somewhat misleading, but it is what it is. $4. Ok, may be $400.

Man, Pelosi is such a great messenger. Otherwise, how could she make "progressives" to defend this? She could easily make people to re-open the schools that would greatly benefit poor kids. Well, donors are more important, I guess.

Are you interested in good faith discussion. Politicallefty just showed why the cap is needed, but you seem more interested in scoring political points
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #264 on: April 14, 2021, 07:18:11 AM »

As I've said before, the SALT cap as enacted puts a pressure on higher tax blue states to lower their taxes. These are the states that have more generous programs for those that need them, including Medicaid and other social welfare programs. Note how many low tax red states have restrictive Medicaid programs and have refused federal money to expand it as per the ACA. I don't necessarily support eliminating the cap, but I would support raising it to affect only the highest of earners.

So high spending from the government in social services requires high tax rates? Who knew!
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #265 on: April 14, 2021, 07:27:28 AM »

I'm very much aware of what eliminating the SALT cap would do. It makes blue states more attractive to higher earners. These are people that can deduct state and local taxes from federal taxes. This makes it easier for those states to maintain higher tax rates and pay for more generous social welfare programs. What happens with the SALT cap? Many high earners move out of California and NY and move to Texas and Florida. The latter are both states that have refused to expand their Medicaid programs even though the federal government pays for 90% of the tab (and under a new program, they would get even more funds for traditional Medicaid).
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #266 on: April 14, 2021, 07:53:06 AM »

I'm very much aware of what eliminating the SALT cap would do. It makes blue states more attractive to higher earners. These are people that can deduct state and local taxes from federal taxes. This makes it easier for those states to maintain higher tax rates and pay for more generous social welfare programs. What happens with the SALT cap? Many high earners move out of California and NY and move to Texas and Florida. The latter are both states that have refused to expand their Medicaid programs even though the federal government pays for 90% of the tab (and under a new program, they would get even more funds for traditional Medicaid).

Didn't you just say that you wanted to make this tax to "affect only the highest of earners". Because it literally what Trump did, he capped it in such way it affects basically only the highest of earners. At least according to these graph. Those with earnings under $500k won't get much. Those under $100k won't get nothing at all.

Or, do you want to repeal it to make blue states more attractive to the highest of earners. Fair enough. But you can't have both.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #267 on: April 14, 2021, 08:15:24 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2021, 08:18:28 AM by roxas11 »

1. Immigration reform, citizenship for Dreamers
There Is Zero chance Biden is getting any Major immigration reform. If he is lucky, maybe he can get something for the dreamers, but beyond that The GOP will never vote for any immigration Bill he supports

2. Another round of stimulus till 2022

Any hope for another stimulus died the moment moderate dems like Joe Manchin saw this

Joe Manchin is never going to vote for another Huge Stimulus bill again. He really does not even support the current extension to employment benefits and he was almost close to voting with the GOP to make sure the unemployment benefit expire in July rather than September. There is no chance he will vote to extend them any further

3. Statehood for DC and PR

I cant see this happening unless kyrsten sinema and joe manchin vote to kill the filbuster

4. Some sort of major foreign policy victory
The Majority of American people don't care about foreign policy that much and as long as he keeps the US out of Wars he will be fine. If he gets a major foreign policy victory that is cool, but nobody is going to hold it against him if he does not especially if the economy is Booming.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #268 on: April 14, 2021, 08:39:46 AM »

Didn't you just say that you wanted to make this tax to "affect only the highest of earners". Because it literally what Trump did, he capped it in such way it affects basically only the highest of earners. At least according to these graph. Those with earnings under $500k won't get much. Those under $100k won't get nothing at all.

Or, do you want to repeal it to make blue states more attractive to the highest of earners. Fair enough. But you can't have both.

Actually, you can.  Just repeal the SALT cap and increase the highest tax bracket rates by 1 or 2 percent.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #269 on: April 14, 2021, 09:06:50 AM »

Actually, you can.  Just repeal the SALT cap and increase the highest tax bracket rates by 1 or 2 percent.

Well, yeah. That's why Biden's administration (and me) wants to know how Pelosi are going to pay for that. I don't think it would be controversial if they are going to pay for the repeal by increasing taxes for top x%. My understanding though is that it is not the case.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #270 on: April 14, 2021, 10:12:17 AM »

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #271 on: April 14, 2021, 10:14:11 AM »

So, more popular than not, but not the obvious slam-dunk political winner the ARP was? That sounds about right to me.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #272 on: April 14, 2021, 10:55:02 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2021, 10:58:40 AM by roxas11 »

The big takaway from this is that the disapproval for Biden infrastructure bill is still only at 27 percent

That's very different from 2009 because by this point support for healthcare reform was already starting to get dragged down because people were starting to disapprove of Obama handling of the economy

That pubic had started to sour on healthcare reform and the disapproval would even be close to 50 percent by July 2009

American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #273 on: April 14, 2021, 11:09:55 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #274 on: April 14, 2021, 11:16:06 AM »

We spend so much time on this infrastructure and Covid is raging out of control, most poor people whom are struggling with Evictions don't even care about an infrastructure bill
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies