Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 12:28:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 229 230 231 [232] 233 234 235 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 246546 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5775 on: August 07, 2022, 08:36:35 PM »

It's extraordinary what the Democrats have been able to accomplish with such historically thin majorities in government. Compare their record to the very few achievements the Republicans were able to get from 2017 to 2019 despite having more comfortable numbers in the House and Senate and you get a very stark contrast in competence between the two parties.

From 2017-19:

- We passed the most major tax reform bill since 1986
- Passed Deregulation Bills
- Passed the First Step Act
- Passed VA Reform
- Passed a Bill to tackle the Opioid Crises

The first two of those are bad ideas, and as far as I can tell the opioid crisis continued to get worse under Trump's administration, whatever the merits of that bill.

You're not left with much if you exclude flawed bills from Presidential accomplishments.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #5776 on: August 07, 2022, 09:26:33 PM »

Today is a good day.

Purple heart
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5777 on: August 07, 2022, 10:46:16 PM »

Yes and conservatives like me think the first two bills  were great just like liberals like you think this bill is good .

All true conservatives should support the repeal of the Tax Cuts and Inflation Act (aka: welfare for corporations). Trillions of dollars down the drain, I'm tired of fiscal conservatives getting scammed by businesses who want a handout.

Corporate Tax increases will be passed on to the consumer so no

It's irrelevant where it's passed on. As conservatives, our #1 priority should be balancing the budget to pay down the debt. Anything more than that is no more than welfare.

You should have told President Trump that in 2017.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #5778 on: August 07, 2022, 11:33:08 PM »

Yes and conservatives like me think the first two bills  were great just like liberals like you think this bill is good .

All true conservatives should support the repeal of the Tax Cuts and Inflation Act (aka: welfare for corporations). Trillions of dollars down the drain, I'm tired of fiscal conservatives getting scammed by businesses who want a handout.

It's irrelevant where it's passed on. As conservatives, our #1 priority should be balancing the budget to pay down the debt. Anything more than that is no more than welfare.

But that makes the far-right's dream world of Cyberpunk2077 harder to achieve!
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5779 on: August 07, 2022, 11:33:11 PM »

That's one less thing to worry about on Friday when the House votes on the Senate-passed Inflation Reduction Act:

Pro-SALT deduction House Democrats say they’ll back Senate bill
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #5780 on: August 08, 2022, 12:05:40 AM »

So it's official, every single Republican senator has now voted against reducing inflation.

This bill will do the opposite

There is no economic argument for this. You can certainly claim that it doesn't do much to reduce inflation and it's a politically motivated name, which I agree with (but still support the bill because it does some very basic important things like invest in clean energy independence and reduce the cost of medicine). But it doesn't have any real inflationary measures. It reduces demand and slightly increases supply.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5781 on: August 08, 2022, 12:51:47 AM »

So it's official, every single Republican senator has now voted against reducing inflation.

There is no economic argument for this. You can certainly claim that it doesn't do much to reduce inflation and it's a politically motivated name, which I agree with (but still support the bill because it does some very basic important things like invest in clean energy independence and reduce the cost of medicine). But it doesn't have any real inflationary measures. It reduces demand and slightly increases supply.

It is a politically motivated name and the fact is inflation really could get worse unless we actually significantly increase aggregate supply or decrease aggregate demand by such a level that it would take a a pretty bad recession to do so .

Imo what needed to be done was :

- We should have created an onshoring tax credit or just pass an border adjustment tax . This would be to bring back supply chains domestically  

- We should have expanded the QBI deduction as that would help small businesses expand which would also mean an increase in aggregate supply

- We need to ramp up energy production including the use of traditional sources

- Pass more bills like CHIPS for other related critical industries (I backed BIF and CHIPS)
Yoda
United States

« Reply #5782 on: August 08, 2022, 02:53:25 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2022, 02:56:52 AM by Yoda »

It's extraordinary what the Democrats have been able to accomplish with such historically thin majorities in government. Compare their record to the very few achievements the Republicans were able to get from 2017 to 2019 despite having more comfortable numbers in the House and Senate and you get a very stark contrast in competence between the two parties.

From 2017-19:

- Passed VA Reform

"reform" LMAOOO
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5783 on: August 08, 2022, 05:20:47 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2022, 05:23:52 AM by Benjamin Frank »

From 2017-19:

- Passed VA Reform

The first two of those are bad ideas, and as far as I can tell the opioid crisis continued to get worse under Trump's administration, whatever the merits of that bill.

1.Right wingers oppose carbon taxes and cap and trade markets. So, that doesn't exist to combat global warming.

2.Right wingers oppose global warming environmental regulations and the extreme right wing Supreme Court might defacto strike them down anyway.

So, all that is left is subsidies to clean energy companies and other initiatives to reduce emissions to limit global warming.

I have no doubt you are an extreme right wing global warming denier.

What you support: burn, baby, burn.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5784 on: August 08, 2022, 05:26:27 AM »

It is a politically motivated name and the fact is inflation really could get worse unless we actually significantly increase aggregate supply or decrease aggregate demand by such a level that it would take a a pretty bad recession to do so .

- We should have created an onshoring tax credit or just pass an border adjustment tax . This would be to bring back supply chains domestically  

- We should have expanded the QBI deduction as that would help small businesses expand which would also mean an increase in aggregate supply

- Pass more bills like CHIPS for other related critical industries (I backed BIF and CHIPS)

Never mind the other problems with this, at 3.9% unemployment, where are all these additional workers required going to come from? 

What would happen is these companies will poach employees from other companies, which is, all else being equal...inflationary.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #5785 on: August 08, 2022, 05:30:25 AM »

Deficits don't help with inflation. The issue with both the Biden and Trump relief bills was that they were throwing money at things, which resulted in a bunch of the money just sitting there or being misused. The IRA is legislation that is what we should have done in the first place.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #5786 on: August 08, 2022, 07:14:46 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2022, 07:18:25 AM by roxas11 »

From 2017-19:

- Passed VA Reform

This list only makes the GOP look even pathetic because trump had promised to pass an infrastructure bill, An Obamacare repel and immigration reform. In the end all they managed to get was a giant Tax cut for the wealthiest Americans and Trump had largely failed to deliver on most of his other major promises

Paul Ryan and Trump had bigger majorities in 2017 to 2019, yet Biden, Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer was still able to accomplish way more than they did despite the fact that they only had a 50/50 senate...

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5787 on: August 08, 2022, 07:37:50 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2022, 07:42:05 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Manchin and Sinema have tough races in 24 they wa t D's to hold the Senate in 24

As for TRUMP voters were begging him for campaign finance reform not just Immigration reform because of Ukraine impeachment and Mueller probe, and since McCain died there is no urgency to pass campaign finance reform from R's and that's why they blocked Voting Rights because ihad a ban on soft money

What happened to the R party happened to D's McCain died they lost their Patriarchal blessing and when Teddy Kennedy died we lost 2010 when Scott Brown won our leader on Obamacare, it's the same Obamacare Gore and Kerry ran off and Teddy Kennedy endorsed Kerry
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5788 on: August 08, 2022, 08:30:17 AM »

Thrilled this has passed the senate! Sure, not exactly what we wanted in terms of size, but given all circumstances, the best what we would get.

I'd just be mad at Dems, should we once again not be smart on messaging on that. Even with narrow majorities, Biden and Dems deliver results for the American people. The GOP has done nothing during the Trump years other than a tax giveaway to top income earners. Instead, Trump proclaimed infrastructure week frequently, but Biden actually got it done.

Dems actually govern, the GOP just screws things up and we're left with cleaning up their mess.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #5789 on: August 08, 2022, 08:31:13 AM »

From 2017-19:

- Passed VA Reform

"reform" LMAOOO

Haha yeah. I'm old enough to remember that the purpose of the TCJA was to "simplify" the tax code, and one of the arguments used by R's last weekend against the IRS amplification was that the poor middle class would be too confused by...the tax code!
thetenacioustexan
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5790 on: August 08, 2022, 09:18:37 AM »

I don't have a direct line to Donald Trump. However, the Tax Cuts and Inflation Act (popularly known as TCJA) is what I was referring to.
thetenacioustexan
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5791 on: August 08, 2022, 09:21:06 AM »

From 2017-19:

- Passed VA Reform

1.Right wingers oppose carbon taxes and cap and trade markets. So, that doesn't exist to combat global warming.

2.Right wingers oppose global warming environmental regulations and the extreme right wing Supreme Court might defacto strike them down anyway.

So, all that is left is subsidies to clean energy companies and other initiatives to reduce emissions to limit global warming.

I have no doubt you are an extreme right wing global warming denier.

What you support: burn, baby, burn.

I do support those things. We need to balance the budget, and all true conservatives would support this bill for getting us closer (my original post was referring to TCJA).
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5792 on: August 08, 2022, 09:40:25 AM »

Deficits don't help with inflation. The issue with both the Biden and Trump relief bills was that they were throwing money at things, which resulted in a bunch of the money just sitting there or being misused. The IRA is legislation that is what we should have done in the first place.

That’s if they are primarily aimed at increasing demand which these  bills are not as they are primarily aimed at increasing supply
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5793 on: August 08, 2022, 10:56:10 AM »

Erickson, who you might have guessed is still quite bitter about the Georgia Senate runoffs, has taken to calling the bill the "Trump-Shafer Inflation Act".  (David Shafer is the chairman of the Georgia GOP and a 2020 election denier.)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5794 on: August 08, 2022, 01:30:02 PM »

Congratulations to President Biden and the Democrats! This is still a major success and the most that was possible under these circumstances. Although a lot remains to be done, Biden has actually achieved a lot of meaningful stuff.

I'm just not sure whether the effects will be felt soon enough to make a difference in November. But optics is also important and the notion that key still can get things done.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5795 on: August 08, 2022, 02:14:58 PM »

Erickson, who you might have guessed is still quite bitter about the Georgia Senate runoffs, has taken to calling the bill the "Trump-Shafer Inflation Act".  (David Shafer is the chairman of the Georgia GOP and a 2020 election denier.)
This Guy has always been a hypocrite
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5796 on: August 08, 2022, 02:33:25 PM »

Would anyone predict the final vote margin in the House? Will it be exactly along party line of member present?

I would just guess something like 218-209.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #5797 on: August 08, 2022, 03:01:58 PM »

Bloomberg analysis says most projects from this new bill will take place in Red districts. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5798 on: August 08, 2022, 03:13:33 PM »

Bloomberg analysis says most projects from this new bill will take place in Red districts.  

Well sure, wind and solar investment…

Curious what’s happening in Illinois? Nuclear?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5799 on: August 08, 2022, 03:16:25 PM »

Never mind the other problems with this, at 3.9% unemployment, where are all these additional workers required going to come from? 

What would happen is these companies will poach employees from other companies, which is, all else being equal...inflationary.

From people who are underemployed and those who who stopped being part of the labor workforce participation rate.
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 229 230 231 [232] 233 234 235 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies