MD-Sen: Cardin leads Steele. Steele leads Mfume.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:12:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2006 Elections
  2006 Senatorial Election Polls
  MD-Sen: Cardin leads Steele. Steele leads Mfume.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: MD-Sen: Cardin leads Steele. Steele leads Mfume.  (Read 6022 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2006, 05:31:18 PM »

This thread is crazy.

Im so damn confused, I dont even know where I live anymore.  Im in south east Baltimore County.

Does that make me a resident of Baltimore City, Price George's, Townson, or Baltimore-Township?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2006, 05:32:29 PM »

This thread is crazy.

Im so damn confused, I dont even know where I live anymore.  Im in south east Baltimore County.

Does that make me a resident of Baltimore City, Price George's, Townson, or Baltimore-Township?

All of them!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2006, 05:35:19 PM »

That's what I have been trying to say. I was trying to say the Baltimore-Towson, area, but it came out wrong.

No, man, you started this with no idea of what you were talking about.  You've said that Prince George's County contains Baltimore, that blacks don't live outside of Baltimore, etc.  There's nothing wrong with being incorrect about this stuff.  What is wrong, is presenting yourself like you know what you are talking about.

This thread is crazy.

Obviously, it makes you a resident of:

1. Baltimore City
2. Baltimore County
3. Baltimore Township
4. Prince George County
5. Prince George's Conty
6. Townson
7. Towson
8. Baltimore (Baltimore-Towson/Townson)
9. Maryland
10. District of Columbia
11. Neptune
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2006, 05:38:09 PM »

overton, Im just pulling your leg a little.  But on a serious note, just admit you were confused/wrong/whatever and move on.  You'll never live down this thread, but at least if you give up now... Well, I dont know.  You'll live to fight another day?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2006, 06:12:26 PM »

This thread is pretty hilarious.  I always assumed that because black people were all around me and the crime rate was sky-high and some of my friends had gotten robbed on the streets, that I lived in Baltimore City.

Little did I know...  Tongue
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2006, 07:05:44 PM »

All I know was that Baltimore had a lot of black people and I didn't know how many.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2006, 07:07:15 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2006, 07:11:33 PM by nickshepDEM »

All I know was that Baltimore had a lot of black people and I didn't know how many.

Very true.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2006, 10:27:18 PM »

I can indicate a few parts of town where you might want to go at night to get a "real view" of Baltimore black culture, if you want to.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2006, 10:46:46 PM »

I got a call from  Cardin's campaign today, wondering if they could "count on my vote" for Cardin. I put them in their place.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2006, 12:47:22 AM »

I can indicate a few parts of town where you might want to go at night to get a "real view" of Baltimore black culture, if you want to.

Amen to that. And personally, after spending over 18 years in the Baltimore area I have never heard it called "The Baltimore-Towson metro area". I mean Towson is fairly large but not at that sort of scale.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2006, 01:33:08 AM »

Amen to that. And personally, after spending over 18 years in the Baltimore area I have never heard it called "The Baltimore-Towson metro area". I mean Towson is fairly large but not at that sort of scale.

Towson = suburb of Baltimore

Therefore, Baltimore>Towson.

Even though it's actually more like Baltimore>>>>>>>>Towson.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2006, 11:49:10 AM »

Towson = suburb of Baltimore

Therefore, Baltimore>Towson.

Even though it's actually more like Baltimore>>>>>>>>Towson.

Whenever I hear Baltimore paired with anything it's Baltimore-Reisterstown or Baltimore-Annapolis, never Baltimore-Towson.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2006, 11:52:42 AM »

Baltimore is well over 10x the size of Towson now that I look it up.
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2006, 12:13:43 PM »

Towson is one of many unincorporated Baltimore suburbs.  Towson, Catonsville, Dundalk, Glen Burnie, etc., are all distinct from the city.

Baltimore City is about 65% black (and is not officially part of any county; it's an "independent city" and thus effectively a county by itself), as is Prince George's County, which is located just outside Washington DC.  DC itself is not part of any state, and does not vote in Maryland's or any other state's elections.  I hope that clears things up.

Regarding the Democratic primary here, I think Cardin is firming his advantage up after a somewhat shaky period, as now he's on TV and will likely remain there for the next four weeks.  I think that will help bring over undecided Dems and allow him to win the primary, provided he also invests somewhat in GOTV.  Mfume's slimming chance rests in his voters being more motivated to turn out (a factor that can't be discounted), as he lacks much money for media.  Rales, by contrast, has only been media and his TV ads (which I haven't seen) don't seem to have done much to make him a truly competitive contender.  (And why does he expect us to make him our standard bearer with no experience in office and only two years after he supported Bush?)

I think this poll, taken for Gov. Ehrlich, probably overstated GOP support a bit.   I actually think that Mfume probably has a lead of at least a couple of points over Steele, given the general trend of opinion, but that matchup would be close.  If Cardin is the Democratic nominee then this probably slips out of the GOP's contention unless he seriously screws up in the general election campaign.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2006, 12:22:23 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2006, 12:25:10 PM by overton »

Mike that's is what I have been trying to say all along.  It is like my homestate of IL, that when you include the Chicago metropolitan area it includes Evanston and Skokie suburbs, but they are part of Chicago. They are distinct from the main city, but still part of it.

As far as Cardin, I think that he has the cash advantage over Mfume and will be able to beat him. But as far as Cardin being the best bet to beat him, I don't know because the Zogby polls has Mfume the same distince ahead of Steele as Cardin is. Only republican lean pollsters like POS and Rasmussen has Steele ahead. Zogby and Washington post have Mfume ahead.
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2006, 12:34:10 PM »

I tend to discount Zobgy interactive polls because of questionable methodology.  And I'd also note that being one point ahead is statistically not really a lead; it's basically a tie, given margins of error.

The most trustworthy polls I've seen on this are by Gonzales, the Baltimore Sun, and the Washington Post (though I think the WP overstated Mfume's potential for a primary win).  Rasmussen is some distance behind, sometimes giving hard-to-explain results.    Most of these surveys have had Cardin with a stronger lead over Steele than Mfume has, so I think Cardin is the better bet from an electability perspective.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2006, 12:47:26 PM »

Zogby is a joke overall.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2006, 12:50:40 PM »

Well I wouldn't say that Cook, Larry Sabato Crystal Ball all have it lean Democratic even if Mfume wins the primary. Cardin I think is ahead by 1 pt.
Mike in Maryland
Rookie

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2006, 01:18:07 PM »

Well I wouldn't say that Cook, Larry Sabato Crystal Ball all have it lean Democratic even if Mfume wins the primary. Cardin I think is ahead by 1 pt.

What?  Cardin's ahead of whom by one point?  Mfume maybe, if Mfume's supporters turn out enough to make it close, but I doubt even that.  Steele, no way at this point.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies