MD-Sen: Cardin leads Steele. Steele leads Mfume.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:03:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2006 Elections
  2006 Senatorial Election Polls
  MD-Sen: Cardin leads Steele. Steele leads Mfume.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: MD-Sen: Cardin leads Steele. Steele leads Mfume.  (Read 6020 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 06:19:08 AM »
« edited: August 15, 2006, 06:42:55 AM by overton »

I may have been wrong about that but Baltimore and Washington are the biggest cities in MD and they have the most population. You say I have no credibility, Smash has no credibility, you can't take a county and say there is more blacks and compare it to a city. There are 10 cities in Prince George County. Common sense says that Baltimore with it city population has more blacks in it than the a county that has 10 cities in it. I do have common sense. You don't compare a city to a county that has 10 cities.  Baltimore and DC  combined have the most blacks than any other city, not a county.

That was the point I was trying to make that Baltimore and DC has the most blacks than any other city. While Prince George County has the most blacks. But I was only talking about cities.

I never said I was perfect, but I was refering to cities, as the most populous not counties. And people should get what you are saying first before they contradict you.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 09:43:15 AM »

Smash, Baltimore is in Prince George County, that why I said that Baltimore has the most people in it. Baltimore is the most populous city in Maryland, and that's where all the blacks are located. So, my arguement doesn't need work, Baltimore is inside of Prince George County where the majority of blacks are.

OK, this may be the stupidest thing I've just heard on this forum.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 10:02:02 AM »

Smash, Baltimore is in Prince George County, that why I said that Baltimore has the most people in it. Baltimore is the most populous city in Maryland, and that's where all the blacks are located. So, my arguement doesn't need work, Baltimore is inside of Prince George County where the majority of blacks are.

OK, this may be the stupidest thing I've just heard on this forum.
Yeah -- I'm going to stop listening to this guy. Not that I even was before.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2006, 10:12:40 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2006, 11:15:08 AM by overton »

Let me explain it again. I said that Baltimore is the most populous city in Maryland. Prince George is a county, it is the most populous county. I was refering to more blacks are in Baltimore city not a county which has 10 cities in it.

We all have disagreements with each other. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean its wrong. I believe that Baltimore is the most populous city, and you believe Prince County is the most populous county. Both of them got a lot of blacks in them.

I got it wrong that Baltimore was in Prince George county, Baltimore is in a county by itself.

News, today DC is where the blacks increased their majority in. So, I think I am accurate.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2006, 11:39:04 AM »

First off, there are more blacks (absolute number) in PG County, than in any other county/ind. city in Maryland. That is a fact, and there is no use in debating it.

Baltimore City (419,000)
PG County      (529,000)
Balt. County   (152,000)
Mont. County (132,000)

Those are the only four areas with a Black population over 100K. As is shown clearly, PG County has more blacks than Baltimore City does. Washington DC is not even a part of Maryland BTW, even if it was, its 349,000 strong black population would be significantly less than PG County's.

Also, in case you haven't gotten it yet, Baltimore City is the equivalent of a county in Maryland.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, your statement was dead wrong.

Most blacks are either in Baltimore or DC and DC don't have a say so in local elections.

This is false. PG County has 32.5% of Maryland's black population. Baltimore City has 25.7% of Maryland's black population. DC has 0.00% of Maryland's black population.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2006, 12:11:26 PM »

BTW, the fact of the matter is that Baltimore and DC are in Maryland and those are the two cities combined have the most blacks in it. DC may not be part of Maryland but it is in Maryland. And without blacks voting in Washinton DC, it is going to have an impact on this race whether you agree with it or not. DC and Baltimore combined have the most blacks. DC is in MD.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2006, 12:45:21 PM »

DC is not in Maryland. DC is the District of Columbia, which is not part of any state. This is like saying Philadelphia is in New Jersey.

The rest of your post is pure nonsense, and is more or less saying that Maryland has less of a black voting population without DC, which is blindly obvious to anyone with a functioning brain.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2006, 12:48:55 PM »

This is making as much sense as that talk about how blacks are a larger part of the "pie" in Tennessee than New York.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2006, 01:16:24 PM »

DC may not be part of Maryland but it is in Maryland.

Are you on crack?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2006, 01:27:18 PM »

For your information New York has 14% blacks and TN has 16%. And when you break up the cities in PG you get less blacks in a city than in Baltimore city. So, when I am refering to individual cities, I stand correct that Baltimore has more blacks than any city in PG.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2006, 01:43:10 PM »

Wait a minute... Wait one minute!

After all this years of believing.  Of holding onto hope.  You mean to tell me that PG County and Baltimore City are not one and the same, and never will be?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2006, 01:47:00 PM »

All I am saying despite the fact that Baltimore, MD is considered a county, it has less land than a county does, it is considered a city, and when you put a city together with any city in PG Baltimore, MD comes out on top with the number of blacks.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2006, 02:55:04 PM »

BTW, the fact of the matter is that Baltimore and DC are in Maryland and those are the two cities combined have the most blacks in it. DC may not be part of Maryland but it is in Maryland. And without blacks voting in Washinton DC, it is going to have an impact on this race whether you agree with it or not. DC and Baltimore combined have the most blacks. DC is in MD.

What the !@#$ are you tryinig to say?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2006, 03:03:20 PM »

Why, what else would you expect.

After all, Cardin has promised to cure cancer.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2006, 03:18:48 PM »

I think someone needs a little geography lesson, because what you're saying clearly doesn't make any sense.  This is from the Maryland state website for kids:

As you can see, Baltimore City is clearly not in Prince George's County, or anywhere near it for that matter.  PG County is the county with perhaps the highest proportion of blacks in the state.  It is turnout here that Mfume is counting on to win the primary.  I personally don't think he can pull it off, since Cardin has a wealth of support in Baltimore City and its suburbs.  I don't know how he's doing in Montgomery County, as that area could also be a factor in this race.  Perhaps someone from Maryland can clue me on what's happening in MontCo.

It's okay to admit you don't know Maryland geography.  Feel free to ask anyone here anytime.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2006, 03:20:39 PM »

And now what Cardin really said...

Baltimore Sun

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Cardin's campaign is trying to illustrate the candidate's long history of commitment to health issues.

In 1997, Cardin spearheaded bipartisan efforts that resulted in a new law that expanded Medicare coverage for screening several types of cancer. Two years later, he pushed for Medicare coverage of patients undergoing clinical cancer trials, a measure enacted by a 2000 executive order issued by President Bill Clinton.

Dr. Marvin Schuster, a retired Johns Hopkins gastroenterologist, said Cardin has been a leader on health care since he was first elected in 1987.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2006, 03:32:58 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2006, 04:02:52 PM by overton »

I was saying that Baltimore-Townson corridor that it is called has more blacks than any city in PG county. I was referring to cities not counties.  PG cities has fewer blacks in it than the Baltimore-Townson corridor. That's what I was saying. And in those individual cities, the white turnout is higher.

The Baltimore township has the same number of blacks in Chicago 2.6 Million. And the cities in PG are about 500, 000. So, my statement stands correct, that the township of Baltimore, which is the largest city in MD has more blacks than the individual cities in PG.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2006, 04:38:59 PM »

And? We're all still not seeing your point.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2006, 04:44:46 PM »

I have changed my outlook on this race from Toss-Up to Leans Democratic. It seems Steele is gaffe prone and both Cardin and Mfume are in a good position to beat their GOP opponent.

If I were a Republican, I'd be rooting for Josh Rales.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2006, 04:52:58 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2006, 05:11:30 PM by overton »

I am saying the Baltimore Township which has 2.6 Million people will have an influence on this race, just like the other areas in MD will have an influence and this race, and we need to see who will win.  But Baltimore Township has by far the most blacks in it. It depends on who turns out. If more blacks turn out then it favors Mfume, if more whites turn out, it favors Cardin. But since more blacks turnout in presidential years than in off year elections, it favors Cardin. And Sarbanes was very popular, not among blacks. That's been my point all along. Barbara Milkulski who has been more of a civil rights leader towards Blacks is favored among blacks.

Yea, when you add the Towson area together you get more blacks than PG County. That's been my point all along to you guys. 2.6 Million people. But it is referred to as Baltimore city, if a desired location is desired. Baltimore-Towson not just Baltimore has more  blacks.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore,_Maryland. You can see the full report on Baltimore, MD-Towson on this website having more blacks than any other county or city.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2006, 05:14:46 PM »

I may have been wrong about that but Baltimore and Washington are the biggest cities in MD and they have the most population. You say I have no credibility, Smash has no credibility, you can't take a county and say there is more blacks and compare it to a city. There are 10 cities in Prince George County. Common sense says that Baltimore with it city population has more blacks in it than the a county that has 10 cities in it. I do have common sense. You don't compare a city to a county that has 10 cities.  Baltimore and DC  combined have the most blacks than any other city, not a county.

That was the point I was trying to make that Baltimore and DC has the most blacks than any other city. While Prince George County has the most blacks. But I was only talking about cities.

I never said I was perfect, but I was refering to cities, as the most populous not counties. And people should get what you are saying first before they contradict you.

I kind of stopped reading your post when you said that Washington, D.C. was one of the two biggest cities in Maryland.

And, no, Prince George's County has more blacks than Baltimore, as Sam Spade said.  Common sense does not usurp Census results.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2006, 05:17:23 PM »

What is the "Baltimore Township"?

And if you combine Baltimore County and Baltimore City, sure, then you get more (571,000) blacks. But that's not what you said earlier. And if we're speaking of Metro areas, the DC Metro area (that's in Maryland - PG County and Montgomery County) has more (661,000) blacks than the Baltimore Metro area. So I still don't see your point.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2006, 05:21:18 PM »

And Sarbanes was very popular, not among blacks. That's been my point all along. Barbara Milkulski who has been more of a civil rights leader towards Blacks is favored among blacks.

2000 Exit Poll for Maryland Sarbanes 91 - Rappaport 8 among blacks.

2004 Exit Poll for Maryland Mikulski 93 - Pipkin 7 among blacks.

Both garner similar numbers. Your point?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2006, 05:22:34 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2006, 05:25:38 PM by Alcon »

You're backtracking, overton.  Just admit that you did not have any idea of what you were talking about.

First of all, Baltimore is not a township.  It is a city.  The Baltimore-Towson (not Townson) metro area does have more blaks, but you said the city of Baltimore.  Look, if you thought that Baltimore was in Prince George's County, I have significant troubles believing that you would have known off-hand that Baltimore-Towson has a higher black population.

Baltimore-Towson is not referred to as Baltimore city.  Baltimore city is an incorporated, specifically-designated independent city.  Towson is unincorporated, but is not part of Baltimore.  It is Towson.

Your point all along could not be this, because initially you were saying that Baltimore is in Prince George's County!

By the way, D.C. is in Maryland?  Is West Virgina also in Virginia?  Are states in whatever state they were split off of, or does this only extend to the arbitrary inclusion of the District of Columbia?  Or are all states SECRETLY RECTANGULAR?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2006, 05:31:03 PM »

That's what I have been trying to say. I was trying to say the Baltimore-Towson, area, but it came out wrong.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies