FT 19.11 School Day Restructuring Act (Statute) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:30:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 19.11 School Day Restructuring Act (Statute) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 19.11 School Day Restructuring Act (Statute)  (Read 916 times)
Anna Komnene
Siren

« on: March 27, 2021, 07:43:31 AM »
« edited: May 24, 2021, 03:58:46 PM by Anna Komnene »

AN ACT
to promote healthy sleep patterns among school-age children

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be, the "School Day Restructuring Act."

Section 2 (Standard School Day)
i. Except as otherwise provided herein, all Frémont public schools shall observe the Standard School Day (SSD).
ii. The SSD shall begin at 9 am and end at 4 pm local time.

Section 3 (Elementary Adjusted Standard School Day)
i. All Frémont public elementary schools shall observe the Elementary Adjusted Standard School Day (EASSD).
ii. The EASSD shall begin at 9:30 am and end at 4:30 pm local time.

Section 4 (Application for special exemption)
i. School districts may apply to the Ministry of Education for a special exemption to deviate from the SSD or EASSD, stating the particular local concerns which necessitate this deviation; but no district shall begin the school day before 9 am local time.

Section 5 (Before and after care)
i. All Frémont public schools must offer before care from 7:30 am to the commencement of the school day, and after care from the end of the school day until 6:30 pm.
ii. Districts may charge tuition for attendance to before and after care; however, no student whose parents' and step-parents' combined annual income is less than 150% the local cost of living shall be charged tuition.

Section 6 (Implementation)
i. This act shall take effect with the 2021-22 academic year.
Sponsor: Harry S Truman

The floor is open.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 10:35:01 PM »

I'm pretty much on board for this bill. I always thought the times schools open is way too early. Moving back the start time should help make students healthier and more alert in school and just better students. Plus the before care alleviates concerns for working parents.

My only concern is it might be more challenging for older teens that want/need to work after school to get the hours they need with schools open until 4, but that might just be a trade-off we need to make.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 01:17:39 PM »

I'm not sure what the current school day is. Would making the SSD 8:30-3:30 and the EASSD 9:30-4:30 fix the bus issue?
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 02:29:07 PM »

With no objections, the amendment is adopted. The floor is still open for additional proposals.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 04:17:39 PM »

Well IMO objections are a formal procedure. If you want to object, you say "I object" or something similarly obvious.

I'm kind of torn on both sides on these proposals. On the one hand, I want to see students getting more sleep, but on the other hand, I know how important it is for some students, especially from poor families, to be able to work after school and 4:30 is pretty late for that. I don't have any issue with the original elementary time. I suppose my concern is more on the high school side of things. That's sort of where I'm at.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 04:59:03 PM »

That could be an interesting idea. Did you have something in mind?
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 07:53:52 PM »

Yeah I guess it wouldn't make much sense to include in this bill.

Well I'll introduce an amendment that's maybe a kind of blend of the two proposals and see how people feel.

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

i. Except as otherwise provided herein, all Frémont public schools shall observe the Standard School Day (SSD).
ii. The SSD shall begin no earlier than 8:00 am.

i. All Frémont public elementary schools shall observe the Elementary Adjusted Standard School Day (EASSD).

Section 34 (Application for special exemption)
i. School districts may apply to the Ministry of Education for a special exemption to deviate from the SSD or EASSD, stating the particular local concerns which necessitate this deviation; but no district shall begin the school day before 8 am local time.

i. All Frémont public schools must offer before care from 7:00 am to the commencement of the school day, and after care from the end of the school day until 6:30 pm.
ii. Districts may charge tuition for attendance to before and after care; however, no student whose parents' and step-parents' combined annual income is less than 150% the local cost of living shall be charged tuition.

Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 10:04:05 PM »

The amendment is adopted.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 10:11:12 PM »

24 hours for objections.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 10:24:27 PM »

With no objections, we'll now have a final vote on this bill. Members please vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

i. School districts may apply to the Ministry of Education for a special exemption to deviate from the EASSD, stating the particular local concerns which necessitate this deviation; but no district shall begin the school day before 8 am local time.

i. All Frémont public schools must offer before care from 7:00 am to the commencement of the school day, and after care from the end of the school day until 6:30 pm.

Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 04:35:15 PM »

Aye
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 04:37:10 PM »

With 6 votes in favor and 1 abstention, this bill passed the Frémont parliament.

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

i. School districts may apply to the Ministry of Education for a special exemption to deviate from the EASSD, stating the particular local concerns which necessitate this deviation; but no district shall begin the school day before 8 am local time.

Frémont House of Commons
Passed 6-0-1 in the Frémont Parliament Assembled,

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies