FT 19.11 School Day Restructuring Act (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:53:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 19.11 School Day Restructuring Act (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: FT 19.11 School Day Restructuring Act (Statute)  (Read 884 times)
Anna Komnene
Siren

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2021, 07:43:31 AM »
« edited: May 24, 2021, 03:58:46 PM by Anna Komnene »

AN ACT
to promote healthy sleep patterns among school-age children

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be, the "School Day Restructuring Act."

Section 2 (Standard School Day)
i. Except as otherwise provided herein, all Frémont public schools shall observe the Standard School Day (SSD).
ii. The SSD shall begin at 9 am and end at 4 pm local time.

Section 3 (Elementary Adjusted Standard School Day)
i. All Frémont public elementary schools shall observe the Elementary Adjusted Standard School Day (EASSD).
ii. The EASSD shall begin at 9:30 am and end at 4:30 pm local time.

Section 4 (Application for special exemption)
i. School districts may apply to the Ministry of Education for a special exemption to deviate from the SSD or EASSD, stating the particular local concerns which necessitate this deviation; but no district shall begin the school day before 9 am local time.

Section 5 (Before and after care)
i. All Frémont public schools must offer before care from 7:30 am to the commencement of the school day, and after care from the end of the school day until 6:30 pm.
ii. Districts may charge tuition for attendance to before and after care; however, no student whose parents' and step-parents' combined annual income is less than 150% the local cost of living shall be charged tuition.

Section 6 (Implementation)
i. This act shall take effect with the 2021-22 academic year.
Sponsor: Harry S Truman

The floor is open.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 10:50:35 PM »

This bill was inspired by a comment by the honorable member from Washington, to the effect that later school start times are in the interest of students' health and parents' convenience. Accordingly, this bill would establish a Standard School Day of 9:30 to 4:30 for elementary students and 9 to 4 for upper grades, while allowing schools to apply for a special exemption from the Ministry of Education if local concerns would make a different schedule better for that community.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 11:09:28 PM »

Now this is fantastic legislation to solve a ridiculous problem in America's otherwise pretty good education system. Later school hours allow children to get better sleep and before and after care saves working parents thousands on child care.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 10:35:01 PM »

I'm pretty much on board for this bill. I always thought the times schools open is way too early. Moving back the start time should help make students healthier and more alert in school and just better students. Plus the before care alleviates concerns for working parents.

My only concern is it might be more challenging for older teens that want/need to work after school to get the hours they need with schools open until 4, but that might just be a trade-off we need to make.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 10:10:51 PM »

Doesn’t this make the bus system less efficient? My HS started at 7 AM for that reason.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 10:26:41 PM »

Doesn’t this make the bus system less efficient? My HS started at 7 AM for that reason.
Could you elaborate? I'm not sure why we couldn't just adjust the bus schedules.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 10:29:26 PM »

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure why we couldn't just adjust the bus schedules.

Because when high schools, middle schools, and elementary schools start an hour apart each, a bus driver could pick up all 3 levels of students in a day. With this bill that’d no longer be possible.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 01:17:39 PM »

I'm not sure what the current school day is. Would making the SSD 8:30-3:30 and the EASSD 9:30-4:30 fix the bus issue?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 08:41:06 PM »

I'm not sure what the current school day is. Would making the SSD 8:30-3:30 and the EASSD 9:30-4:30 fix the bus issue?

It'd make it less bad but a school bus could still not pick up 3 separate grade levels at once.

Also one thing to keep in mind is some rural school districts (including a few in rural Nevada) do 4 day school days and make each school day longer (by 60-70 mins or so) so with a strict start and end time, that'd no longer be possible.

One more feasible remedy is prohibiting the school day from starting say earlier than 8AM and not bothering to legislate the end time.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 10:38:42 PM »

It'd make it less bad but a school bus could still not pick up 3 separate grade levels at once.

Also one thing to keep in mind is some rural school districts (including a few in rural Nevada) do 4 day school days and make each school day longer (by 60-70 mins or so) so with a strict start and end time, that'd no longer be possible.

One more feasible remedy is prohibiting the school day from starting say earlier than 8AM and not bothering to legislate the end time.

§4 allows districts to apply for a special exemption to the SSD/EASSD. If rural districts want to continue a four day school week with longer hours, I would be happy to instruct the Ministry of Education to approve such requests. The compromise proposed by the honorable member from Nevada works as well.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 10:50:22 PM »

This is a very under-discussed issue within education and I applaud Parliament for addressing it. Current school schedules practically force students to wake up by 6:00 at the latest. Health experts recommend eight hours of sleep per night for all people, especially students, and yet it is completely unrealistic to expect students (especially those in middle school and above) to get to sleep before midnight.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 11:55:09 PM »

Amendment:

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

i. Except as otherwise provided herein, all Frémont public schools shall observe the Standard School Day (SSD).
ii. The SSD shall begin at 9 am and end at 4 pm local time no earlier than 8:00 am.

i. All Frémont public elementary schools shall observe the Elementary Adjusted Standard School Day (EASSD).

Section 43 (Application for special exemption)
i. School districts may apply to the Ministry of Education for a special exemption to deviate from the SSD or EASSD, stating the particular local concerns which necessitate this deviation; but no district shall begin the school day before 9 am local time.

i. All Frémont public schools must offer before care from 7:3000 am to the commencement of the school day, and after care from the end of the school day until 6:30 pm.
ii. Districts may charge tuition for attendance to before and after care; however, no student whose parents' and step-parents' combined annual income is less than 150% the local cost of living shall be charged tuition.

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 12:30:22 AM »

As stated previously I am willing to accept this compromise if it is what the house wants, but if this amendment is adopted there will need to be significant structural changes to the bill before it is ready for passage. For instance, I am absolutely opposed to allowing schools to begin before 8 am, so the new §3 would have to go.

I would like to hear what ASV thinks of this before acceding to the amendment, as this was originally his idea.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 12:43:18 AM »

I think a better system would be to keep the current language allowing the bureaucracy to grant exemptions to the mandated hours if a school district has a compelling reason, which already covers all of YE’s concerns. (Rural school districts could also consider bus sharing between elementary, middle and high schools students)
On reflection it might also be a good idea to exempt magnet schools from this legislation, given their students are far more likely to participate in extracurricular activities.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 02:29:07 PM »

With no objections, the amendment is adopted. The floor is still open for additional proposals.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 03:40:11 PM »

I had interpreted ASV's post as offering an objection, but in any event we should get the ball rolling with this again.

I would have liked to hear from the other members; while as I said I'm willing to accept a compromise, I do prefer the original bill and think 8 am is a little early for elementary students and adolescents —depending on bus routs this could still effectively require them to be up before 7 am.

If the House still prefers YE's amendment, I will offer a significant revision of the language before this moves to a final vote, as it is not really a Standard School Day if we are merely mandating a start time, and there is no need for the original §4 if we are merely limiting schools' ability to begin session before 8 am.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 04:17:39 PM »

Well IMO objections are a formal procedure. If you want to object, you say "I object" or something similarly obvious.

I'm kind of torn on both sides on these proposals. On the one hand, I want to see students getting more sleep, but on the other hand, I know how important it is for some students, especially from poor families, to be able to work after school and 4:30 is pretty late for that. I don't have any issue with the original elementary time. I suppose my concern is more on the high school side of things. That's sort of where I'm at.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 04:37:23 PM »

That's fair enough. My primary concern in drafting this bill was for students' health and parents' convenience. If we need to increase aid to low-income families so that they are not reliant on the income earned by their high school-aged children, perhaps that is something we should consider.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 04:59:03 PM »

That could be an interesting idea. Did you have something in mind?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 05:42:59 PM »

That could be an interesting idea. Did you have something in mind?

I am not sure. I guess we could determine what need was met by high school students as a first step, but perhaps that should be its own bill.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 07:53:52 PM »

Yeah I guess it wouldn't make much sense to include in this bill.

Well I'll introduce an amendment that's maybe a kind of blend of the two proposals and see how people feel.

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

ii. The SSD shall begin no earlier than 8:00 am.

Section 34 (Application for special exemption)
i. School districts may apply to the Ministry of Education for a special exemption to deviate from the SSD or EASSD, stating the particular local concerns which necessitate this deviation; but no district shall begin the school day before 8 am local time.

i. All Frémont public schools must offer before care from 7:00 am to the commencement of the school day, and after care from the end of the school day until 6:30 pm.

Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2021, 11:31:11 PM »

This is a good balance, I think.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 10:04:05 PM »