Producing a GOP win in Colorado without Larimer, Jefferson, Adams or Arapahoe
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 08:52:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Producing a GOP win in Colorado without Larimer, Jefferson, Adams or Arapahoe
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Producing a GOP win in Colorado without Larimer, Jefferson, Adams or Arapahoe  (Read 727 times)
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2021, 03:02:57 AM »

Yesterday, Tekken_Guy made this thread about a WI map he made https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=436717.msg8019051#msg8019051

I thought the map he made was interesting and I asked what the site was. An Existential Void Where A Uterus Should Be directed me to the site Tekken_Guy was using. https://elections-daily.com/the-election-shuffler/ (Side note, I think I might've already become addicted, so thank you An Existential Void Where A Uterus Should Be)

On the thread, MT Treasurer said he played around with CO and tried to make the state close but he said that even changing some safe D Native/Hispanic counties to safe R and making Adams, Jefferson and Arapahoe single-digit D wins couldn't even make the state competitive.

I was inspired by him to see if I could produce a GOP winning map without any of Larimer, Jefferson, Adams or Arapahoe.

I changed margins in 26 counties and didn't change turnout in anything.

Here was what I was able to achieve.

Denver: D+47
Boulder: D+43
Larimer: D+1
Jefferson: D+4
Adams: D+5
Arapahoe: D+8
Broomfield: D+14
Clear Creek: D+7
La Plata: D+5
Costilla: D+12
San Miguel: D+37
Gunnison: D+16
Garfield: R+10
Grand: R+12
Gilpin: R+1
Saguache: R+2
Pueblo: R+10
Alamosa: R+12
Las Animas: R+21
Conejos: R+18
Huerfano: R+14
Chaffee: R+9
Weld: R+30
Douglas: R+27
El Paso: R+34
Mesa: R+39

Statewide: R+0.16 (5,099 votes)

Yep, I was able to do it.

Though the fact that I made some big shifts and the GOP still only ekes out a victory of just 5,099 votes shows how hard the state really is for the GOP right now.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 09:21:21 AM »

I appreciate your gratitude and your enthusiasm about this excellent tool, although having my full screen name in all its awkward dysphoria spat back out at me is admittedly a little awkward.

When I was messing with Colorado on this site earlier, what struck me the most, on a note related to this, is that if you use uniform swing to get the state to Bush '04 margins (R+4.7), Arapahoe is still blue, while of course the ancestral Dem mining country and Pueblo is pumping out much of the GOP raw vote along with Douglas County and the Colorado Springs metro. It's striking how much internal movement has completely reshaped the state's Democratic coalition since it became competitive.

If your scenario were to play out as you designed it, it would be Larimer's first time voting for a statewide presidential loser since 1948.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 09:34:14 AM »

Its not uncommon for all 4 Counties listed here to all be to the left of the state.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 02:42:36 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2021, 03:25:21 AM by Chips »

Its not uncommon for all 4 Counties listed here to all be to the left of the state.

True. All four of them voted left of state in 2020.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 02:43:23 AM »

I appreciate your gratitude and your enthusiasm about this excellent tool, although having my full screen name in all its awkward dysphoria spat back out at me is admittedly a little awkward.

When I was messing with Colorado on this site earlier, what struck me the most, on a note related to this, is that if you use uniform swing to get the state to Bush '04 margins (R+4.7), Arapahoe is still blue, while of course the ancestral Dem mining country and Pueblo is pumping out much of the GOP raw vote along with Douglas County and the Colorado Springs metro. It's striking how much internal movement has completely reshaped the state's Democratic coalition since it became competitive.

If your scenario were to play out as you designed it, it would be Larimer's first time voting for a statewide presidential loser since 1948.

Sorry about how I said your name. I just use whatever the screen name is at the time. That's how I do things.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies