MI-GOV Megathread: 👵🏻 Gram died alone.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:40:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI-GOV Megathread: 👵🏻 Gram died alone.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23
Author Topic: MI-GOV Megathread: 👵🏻 Gram died alone.  (Read 36190 times)
coloradocowboi
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: October 29, 2022, 02:30:37 PM »

Her and Mastriano would really get along greatly

So democrats have been trying to destroy the United States ever since 1861…

That is a take

Especially considering it was republicans who wrecked the economy in the 1920s, 80s, 2000s and left it to democrats to clean up their mess
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #526 on: October 31, 2022, 02:39:57 AM »

I'm very curious to see how the Governor race goes by CD. Michigan has a ton of competitive districts, including like 3 possible tipping points, now and it could have implications down the ballot.

In 2018 Whitmer won comfortably statewide, but she won only 7 districts - the same 7 that are represented by Democrats in Congress. However, she came within a point of winning two of the 7 Schuette districts (both are in light red, in Southwest MI, and represented by impeacher Republicans - Meijer's and Upton's seats).

Obviously, redistricting eliminated a seat and changed some of the districts up, so 2022 will be a very different story on the CD level compared to 2018 (one obvious change: MI03 will definitely vote for Whitmer this year now that it's been moved to the left considerably).
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #527 on: October 31, 2022, 08:09:29 AM »

I'm very curious to see how the Governor race goes by CD. Michigan has a ton of competitive districts, including like 3 possible tipping points, now and it could have implications down the ballot.

In 2018 Whitmer won comfortably statewide, but she won only 7 districts - the same 7 that are represented by Democrats in Congress. However, she came within a point of winning two of the 7 Schuette districts (both are in light red, in Southwest MI, and represented by impeacher Republicans - Meijer's and Upton's seats).

Obviously, redistricting eliminated a seat and changed some of the districts up, so 2022 will be a very different story on the CD level compared to 2018 (one obvious change: MI03 will definitely vote for Whitmer this year now that it's been moved to the left considerably).

It'll probably be, Dixon wins 1, 2, 4, 5, 9, and 10 while Whitmer wins 3, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, and 13. Though if Dixon wins she'll probably make 8 (Flint) extremely close and 10 (Lansing) pretty close. I think both Kildee and Slotkin are going to win no matter what.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #528 on: October 31, 2022, 11:08:50 AM »

It'll probably be, Dixon wins 1, 2, 4, 5, 9, and 10 while Whitmer wins 3, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, and 13. Though if Dixon wins she'll probably make 8 (Flint) extremely close and 10 (Lansing) pretty close. I think both Kildee and Slotkin are going to win no matter what.

I personally think Whitmer wins 10 as well given Dem downballot support there; it voted for Peters in 2020 for instance despite Trump also carrying the district. Honestly, Whitmer has a good balance of support to narrowly win 3,7, and 8 as well (8 is home to Lansing, her home turf). Basically a simillar coalition to Peters 2020 but with a boost in the Lansing area and slightly less extreme polarization.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #529 on: October 31, 2022, 11:17:28 AM »

I personally think Whitmer wins 10 as well given Dem downballot support there; it voted for Peters in 2020 for instance despite Trump also carrying the district. Honestly, Whitmer has a good balance of support to narrowly win 3,7, and 8 as well (8 is home to Lansing, her home turf). Basically a simillar coalition to Peters 2020 but with a boost in the Lansing area and slightly less extreme polarization.

Based on the new maps District 8 is Flint, District 7 is Slotkin's district and home to Lansing

Source: I'm literally living in the heart of 7 right now.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #530 on: October 31, 2022, 01:56:22 PM »

Based on the new maps District 8 is Flint, District 7 is Slotkin's district and home to Lansing

Source: I'm literally living in the heart of 7 right now.

Oh sorry I got the numbering flipped. 8 used to be the Lansing based district. Re-numbering is confusing.
ListMan38
Rookie
United States

« Reply #531 on: October 31, 2022, 02:04:58 PM »

Being originally from Michigan, I can say with certainty that MI-GOP is allergic to good statewide candidates, and Whitmer is safe.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #532 on: October 31, 2022, 07:32:41 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2022, 07:37:22 PM by Orwell »

Being originally from Michigan, I can say with certainty that MI-GOP is allergic to good statewide candidates, and Whitmer is safe.

Like? They had the Governors a statewide trifecta of statewide and legislature for 8 years, 4 years ago, held the AG and SOS from 03-19 for AG and 95-19 for SoS, Gov from 1991-2003 to 2011-2019, the Michigan GOP was dominant in state-level politics for 2 decades even when it consistently went for Democrats at a federal level, I'd say John James is a good statewide candidate he just got pretty unlucky in bad years for his party, but he'll be back in 2024 or 2026 for a crack at Governor or Senate. James held Stabenow to her closest election since she beat Spencer Abraham in 2000. Does GOP = Bad in your mind really overpower any logical thought?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #533 on: October 31, 2022, 07:37:01 PM »

Kristina Karamo may be one of the worst statewide candidates anywhere this entire cycle, maybe only second to insane deniers like Marchant/Finchem/Mastriano, etc
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #534 on: October 31, 2022, 07:51:18 PM »

One thing I think people forget is that MI is about 2 points bluer than either PA or WI yet people seem to often lump it in with the other 2. In close races that extra 2% is meaningful and is why I believe Whitmer is still favored. The state is also generally slightly more urban and less rural.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #535 on: November 01, 2022, 05:13:37 PM »

Kristina Karamo may be one of the worst statewide candidates anywhere this entire cycle, maybe only second to insane deniers like Marchant/Finchem/Mastriano, etc
She’s ten times worse than the former. Marchant/Finchem are just election deniers. Karamo has domestic violence allegations and Mastriano has white supremacist ties
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #536 on: November 02, 2022, 03:36:10 PM »

I think someone was asking about this here recently.

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #537 on: November 02, 2022, 03:50:33 PM »

Based on my own gut feeling, I'd say Yes will pass close-ish to the Glenngariff poll
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #538 on: November 02, 2022, 07:03:43 PM »

Based on my own gut feeling, I'd say Yes will pass close-ish to the Glenngariff poll

It won't be that large of a margin; I'm expecting like 62-38 though. Ballot initiatives sometimes suprise us but this will def pass, it's just a matter of by how much.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #539 on: November 03, 2022, 08:57:51 AM »

citizenZ
citizenq
United States

« Reply #540 on: November 03, 2022, 11:39:47 PM »

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #541 on: November 04, 2022, 06:35:17 PM »

Ah, the old "If you stop for five seconds to do anything fun or light-hearted, it means you don't take the REAL ISSUES seriously!" either/or fallacy.

Not sure what that implies about all Trump's tweetstorms. Clearly he was wasting way too much time getting into petty fights on social media and not running the country or fighting COVID, to say nothing of his record-breaking golf habit.

And if you're trying to say this is "cringe," well, it's got nothing on "Gram died alone." To put it mildly.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #542 on: November 04, 2022, 06:37:59 PM »

One thing I think people forget is that MI is about 2 points bluer than either PA or WI yet people seem to often lump it in with the other 2. In close races that extra 2% is meaningful and is why I believe Whitmer is still favored. The state is also generally slightly more urban and less rural.

Actually PA is slightly more urban, but overall agreed.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #543 on: November 04, 2022, 06:45:43 PM »

Actually PA is slightly more urban, but overall agreed.

Depends upon how you measure it. PA is def denser but a lot of that comes from exurbs and dense rural areas whereas in MI, most of the rural communities are not very dense (by comparison).
AnOdyssey
Rookie

P P
« Reply #544 on: November 07, 2022, 12:19:37 AM »

Dixon is not winning. I live in a pretty red area in northern Michigan and barely see any Dixon signs except for those bunched up at the GOP HQ in town.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #545 on: November 07, 2022, 09:47:48 PM »

bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #546 on: November 07, 2022, 11:52:35 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2022, 11:56:29 PM by bagelman »

Groan. Republicans want to end democracy and make Trump our Dear Leader for life and Democrats pull sh**t like this that nobody save a microscopic group of terminal online woke dolts think is even remotely not a bad idea.

Thankfully, I doubt this misstep will change many minds tomorrow. It will be ignored by the vast majority of people, and that's a good thing.
Dani Rose
danixander92
United States

« Reply #547 on: November 07, 2022, 11:58:13 PM »

So? Trans people exist, and I think you'll find that average voters do not care remotely as much about worsening their lives and policing their language as you think they do.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #548 on: November 08, 2022, 12:19:54 AM »

So? Trans people exist, and I think you'll find that average voters do not care remotely as much about worsening their lives and policing their language as you think they do.

So? It's much easier to just ignore trans rights as an issue on the campaign trail (it's not like Trump is more in favor of it) and then actually act on it when you win. It's a net liability on the campaign trail, and has given us moments like when Elizabeth Warren said taxpayers should cover sex change operations for prisoners.
LostFellow
LostHerro

« Reply #549 on: November 08, 2022, 01:00:26 AM »

Broke: "People with a period" is deliberate trans-inclusion.
Woke: "People with a period" is deliberate post-menopause and pre-puberty exclusion.
Bespoke: "People with a period" is deliberate alliteration with "paying" as well.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies