MI-GOV Megathread: 👵🏻 Gram died alone.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:46:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI-GOV Megathread: 👵🏻 Gram died alone.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 23
Author Topic: MI-GOV Megathread: 👵🏻 Gram died alone.  (Read 36091 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2021, 09:43:12 AM »

LOL. MI's version of McSally?

Lean D anyways, BUT, Dems are well avised not too take Whitmer's reelection for granted. James came closer than expected last year and 2022 is very likely a less D-friendly cycle than 2020 was. Whether Trump's lack of presence on the ballot will help Dems in MI is another question that is about to be tested. As always, turnout will decide the outcome.

This. I believe it will be a very competitive race in MI next year.

Yeah and Whitmer is gonna win, James is a retread that lost 2 races before
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2021, 09:47:18 AM »

Lean D anyways, BUT, Dems are well avised not too take Whitmer's reelection for granted. James came closer than expected last year and 2022 is very likely a less D-friendly cycle than 2020 was. Whether Trump's lack of presence on the ballot will help Dems in MI is another question that is about to be tested. As always, turnout will decide the outcome.

I do think Whitmer is a (slight) favorite but I wouldn't discount James. 2022 is likely to be a slightly R-favoring midterm.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2021, 01:05:59 PM »

I do think Whitmer is a (slight) favorite but I wouldn't discount James. 2022 is likely to be a slightly R-favoring midterm.

Who would you support here, Chips?
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2021, 01:19:01 PM »

Who would you support here, Chips?

No one.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2021, 01:59:29 PM »

If you claim John James is McSally...you really are not paying attention.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2021, 01:03:55 PM »

Despite his back to back Senate losses, James is probably the strongest candidate the MI GOP can put forward. Plus he'd have the advantage of running in a Democratic midterm this time around.

I wouldn't underestimate him.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2021, 03:12:49 PM »

According to Cook ratings MI is a D plus 3 state and WI, PA and NH are D 2 states, James will lose Again
DS0816
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2021, 04:04:26 PM »

According to Cook ratings MI is a D plus 3 state and WI, PA and NH are D 2 states, James will lose Again

Not really.

In 2016 and 2018, no state came closer to reflecting the U.S. Popular Vote, for U.S. House, than Michigan. For U.S. House, 2016 Republicans won nationally by +1.08 and Michigan by +1.06.

For the 2018 Democratic U.S. House majority pickup, the national margin was +8.56 while Michigan came in at +7.68, making its margin closer than any other state’s. (Combined with fellow Rust Belts Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, the trio averaged +8.51 to the Democrats’ national +8.56.)

In the 2020 Democratic presidential pickup year, the party’s national margin for U.S. House was +3.1.  (Wikipedia has a box indicating Democrats won the U.S. House by +2.54.) Of the five 2020 Democratic pickup states, for U.S. President, Michigan came in closest at +1.31.

Michigan—along with Pennsylvania and Wisconsin—is close to Even. From 1996 to 2012, Michigan was bluer than the other two Rust Belt states. Its PVI was a good +5 or +6 points bluer than the nation. Now, it is between –1 to +2 (the best for the Democrats). Michigan is, in reality, and along with Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, a bellwether state.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2021, 05:03:55 PM »

Evers, Wolf and Graham have the same Approvals as DeSantis 53%
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2021, 03:42:50 PM »

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/detroit-police-chief-james-craig-retirement-considers-state-office

Detroit Police Chief to retire soon and perhaps run for state office. I assume as an R although it doesn't mention.

JMT

« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2021, 10:21:45 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2021, 10:25:35 AM »

Whitmer 52(48
Pink Panther

« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2021, 10:29:18 AM »

Why would the MIGOP nominate her? This would ensure a Whitmer victory.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2021, 10:51:51 AM »

Oh good lord. She is Whitmer’s dream candidate.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2021, 11:10:43 AM »

Praying for MIGOP to blow this race
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2021, 11:23:56 AM »

Whitmer is up by 5 against James and down six to Craig, there isn't that much discrepancy in the two R candidates

Biden has the same exact Approvals he had on Election night 51(49 and it was 51/46% Whitmer 52(48

Same goes with WI and NH, we will win them like PA

The most Vulnerable seats are obviously AZ and GA without VR not Northern States
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2021, 05:20:31 PM »

The MIGOP is making a bold move, they have 3 credible Black conservative gubernatorial candidates who could make inroads with the Black vote.....John James, 2-time candidate, he also supports Black Lives Matter and told white conservatives that they need to listen, James Craig, the former Detroit Police Commissioner, who could appeal to white suburban voters in Kent, Oakland and Macomb counties, but also appeal to Black voters in Wayne County.....and also Austin Chenge, who made controversial remarks about Black History Month, which is set to turn off Black voters, he is the most right wing of all three....the suburban/rural white guy formula that the MIGOP used for years isn't working to draw new voters....Whitmer is vulnerable, she will have to earn the Black vote......

https://www.fox17online.com/news/politics/meet-austin-chenge-a-gop-candidate-for-michigan-governor-who-wants-to-cancel-black-history-month-and-calls-gov-whitmer-a-dictator
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2021, 05:40:42 PM »

*Palpatine voice*: DO IT!
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2021, 06:19:02 PM »

I honestly doubt she would win the nomination, which is quite impressive given how high her profile is. She’s not good on camera, and the MAGA crowd wouldn’t like that she ditched the administration post-1/6. I’m a bit surprised she even wants to attempt a political campaign given how uncomfortable she seemed with the media spotlight during her tenure as Secretary.

That being said, her being nominated would, as others have said, be a tremendous gift to Whitmer. Craig is a far superior choice for the MI GOP.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2021, 08:55:07 PM »

I honestly doubt she would win the nomination, which is quite impressive given how high her profile is. She’s not good on camera, and the MAGA crowd wouldn’t like that she ditched the administration post-1/6. I’m a bit surprised she even wants to attempt a political campaign given how uncomfortable she seemed with the media spotlight during her tenure as Secretary.

That being said, her being nominated would, as others have said, be a tremendous gift to Whitmer. Craig is a far superior choice for the MI GOP.

You don't think she could?  Money seems to matter a lot in primaries and she has a lot of it. 
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2021, 10:12:07 PM »

The MI GOP better hope that DeVos doesn't win the nomination.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2021, 10:25:27 PM »

My early prediction for the race:

✓ Governor Gretchen E. Whitmer/Lieutenant Governor Nikki Haley: roughly 2,280,000 votes (roughly 49.5%)
Businessman John James/some random MAGA running mate: roughly 2,260,000 votes (roughly 49%)
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2021, 10:45:09 PM »

You don't think she could?  Money seems to matter a lot in primaries and she has a lot of it.  

No, she absolutely could, and her massive war chest will undoubtedly be a huge asset. I just don’t think she’ll be able to make a compelling case for herself. Her biggest advantage was her proximity to Trump, but by resigning before the end of his term, she kinda threw that out the window. I also think that the GOP is really hungry for candidates with backgrounds in law enforcement at the moment, and Craig is their best bet to beat Whitmer on paper.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2021, 10:59:11 PM »

You don't think she could?  Money seems to matter a lot in primaries and she has a lot of it.  

No, she absolutely could, and her massive war chest will undoubtedly be a huge asset. I just don’t think she’ll be able to make a compelling case for herself. Her biggest advantage was her proximity to Trump, but by resigning before the end of his term, she kinda threw that out the window. I also think that the GOP is really hungry for candidates with backgrounds in law enforcement at the moment, and Craig is their best bet to beat Whitmer on paper.

Yeah, she also seems to represent what the party used to be (upper middle class suburban business friendly people) and not what the party is now (MERUCA FIRST blue lives matter (except for Capitol police of course)).
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2021, 11:12:13 PM »

It'd be the equivalent of running against Dick Cheney or some other dinosaur from the Bush years.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies