HB 29-19: Canadian-Atlasian Merger Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:53:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 29-19: Canadian-Atlasian Merger Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HB 29-19: Canadian-Atlasian Merger Act (Tabled)  (Read 373 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2021, 07:02:29 PM »
« edited: April 01, 2021, 10:46:57 PM by ¿ »

AN ACT OF CONGRESS
To unite Atlasia and Canada

Section I: Title
1. The title of this bill shall be called the "Canadian-Atlasian Merger Act" It may be cited as "CAMA" or "CAM"

Section II: Canada
1. The Republic of Atlasia shall absorb the provinces and territories confederated as "Canada" as equal states in the Republic of Atlasia
2. The provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and the territory of Yukon shall be admitted into the union as states of the Commonwealth of Fremont.
3. The provinces of Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, and the territory of Nunavut shall be admitted into the union as states of Lincoln
4. The provinces of Ontario, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and the Northwest territories shall be admitted into the union as states of the South.

Section II: Enactment
1. This act shall take effect after the ratification of this bill from the Parliament of Canada.

Sponsor: Ishan

Sponsor, please advocate and then we will have 72 hours for debating.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 07:13:06 PM »

Wouldn't this be considered an act of war against Canada that would result in us going to war with all of NATO?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 08:58:20 PM »

What this does is to absorb Canada should the Canadian Parliament consent to do that. We have many Canadians in this game and I believe that absorbing Canada makes sense. I see no reason for this bill to be considered a declaration of war against Canada.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 09:09:09 PM »

Even if we do support a merger with Canada, we don't know the terms on which Canada could agree to that (or more likely, a single market type relationship, I'm not entirely familiar with the pre-reset arrangements but that should probably be the model). So if Congress wants to start the process, we can pass a resolution to help get the executive to start the negotiations, but we shouldn't bind ourselves to vote for a treaty. Alternatively, the executive could just do the negotiations and then later we can consider the treaty. Or maybe the pre-reset arrangement wasn't that great and we shouldn't pursue this after all.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 09:17:12 PM »

Someone revive the common market agreement from the Adam era that was stupidly tabled.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 09:37:54 PM »

Even if we do support a merger with Canada, we don't know the terms on which Canada could agree to that (or more likely, a single market type relationship, I'm not entirely familiar with the pre-reset arrangements but that should probably be the model). So if Congress wants to start the process, we can pass a resolution to help get the executive to start the negotiations, but we shouldn't bind ourselves to vote for a treaty. Alternatively, the executive could just do the negotiations and then later we can consider the treaty. Or maybe the pre-reset arrangement wasn't that great and we shouldn't pursue this after all.
I'd be fine with a resolution to try to encourage the President and Secretary of State to start negotiations with Canada about a Common Market Agreement. Also, Ted and Truman might give some insight into what it was like negotiating the Common Market Agreement with the United Kingdom and if there were negotiations about a Canadian Common Market Agreement should they comment on this thread.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 09:54:11 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2021, 09:58:51 PM by Deputy Speaker Ishan »

Someone revive the common market agreement from the Adam era that was stupidly tabled.
Could you link it if there is any, because the only thing from the search feature shows this bill, in the Senate debate at the very least had anything to do a common market agreement and this bill is inspired and copied from much of the North American Federal Transition Act, but the scale of this bill is only in Canada, not the entirety of Canada and Mexico.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 09:57:04 PM »

Could you link it if there is any, because the only thing from the search feature shows that this bill, in the Senate debate at the very least had anything to do a common market agreement and this bill is inspired and copied from much of the North American Federal Transition Act, but the scale of this bill is only in Canada, not the entirety of Canada and Mexico.

Nvm that was what I was thinking of.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 12:58:22 AM »

I know see the provision regarding the Canadian parliament, so I suppose this isn't necessarily an act of war. However, it would be best to negotiate with the government of Canada before passing such an act as doing so without their consent would definitely piss them off.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 02:50:10 PM »

I agree with Rep. Ninja. Though it would be great to expand the borders of our republic. I'm not so sure about the specific provinces per Atlasian Region categories however. I feel we could simply remove those parts and leave that kind of organizing to a different body. Or not.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 06:48:09 PM »

This game was founded as a fictional simulation of U.S. politics and it should largely remain that way. Annexing Canada will set us on a slippery slope, reducing the intrigue of foreign relations in Atlasia.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 09:14:16 PM »

Given I have been convinced by the arguments against this bill, I withdraw sponsorship of this bill (presuming you can do that in the House), and I plan on making a resolution calling on the President to seek a Common Market Agreement with Canada.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 10:29:20 PM »

Once you do that, Ishan, I'll see what Trudeau's government thinks. He was going to comment on this, but given these developments, he'll probably wait until a new version is introduced.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 10:45:33 PM »

I'd support this but I think Mexico should be included as well. Coming together to solve problems we all face will only make us stronger together.
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -7.22

P P P
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2021, 08:50:01 PM »

I'd be much more interested in discussing the possibility of annexing Cuba with or without the consent of its government.

Provided it is incorporated into the Southern region...
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2021, 12:42:38 AM »

Since Ishan has withdrawn sponsorship of this bill, we seem to be moving on to waiting for him to draw up the Common Market Agreement proposal, and nobody has anything to add to the topic at hand here or is assuming sponsorship, this bill will be tabled automatically in about thirty-four hours.

We are aiming for that, right? Just to check.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2021, 10:46:48 PM »

This bill has been tabled automatically since it has no sponsor.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies