If Arlen Specter won reelection in 2010...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:25:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  If Arlen Specter won reelection in 2010...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Arlen Specter won reelection in 2010...  (Read 466 times)
TML
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2021, 02:45:18 AM »

As we all know, Arlen Specter lost his primary election in 2010 and subsequently left office early next year before dying in 2012.

Suppose he won the primary in 2010 and proceeded to defeat Pat Toomey in the general election that year before dying in office on or around the date of his actual death. In that case:

-Would Toomey have been appointed to Specter's seat, or would someone else have been appointed?
-Would there have been a special election for this seat in 2014?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 03:50:01 PM »

I could see Governor Tom Corbett appointing his lt. governor, Jim Cawley. He would have won a 2014 special election.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 04:11:45 PM »

I could see Governor Tom Corbett appointing his lt. governor, Jim Cawley. He would have won a 2014 special election.
I’m not so sure he would have won considering he would be on the same ballot as Corbett when he lost by 10 points and would be inextricably tied to Corbett.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 04:19:59 PM »

I’m not so sure he would have won considering he would be on the same ballot as Corbett when he lost by 10 points and would be inextricably tied to Corbett.

Corbett's loss was a rejection of him, not the Republicans. They even made gains in the state legislature. Given these circumstances and how 2014 was for Democrats nationally, I think Cawley or any other serious replacement would have won.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 05:49:30 PM »

Corbett's loss was a rejection of him, not the Republicans. They even made gains in the state legislature. Given these circumstances and how 2014 was for Democrats nationally, I think Cawley or any other serious replacement would have won.

Gerrymandering.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies