How to get OH 2020 president result by Town and City?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:10:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How to get OH 2020 president result by Town and City?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How to get OH 2020 president result by Town and City?  (Read 238 times)
Neptunium
Taiwan

Political Matrix
E: 5.16, S: -1.90

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2021, 11:11:55 AM »

Since there seems not have Ohio result by Town and City in atlas page like PA and MI.

I wonder how to get those data, since US seems don't have central election database website, which directly offer election result by town and city I think.

Maybe I ask how to get those data if there is any?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 12:11:23 PM »

It might not be possible. I know it would be impossible for SC, since precinct and municipal boundaries don't coincide, so it's entirely possible for a precinct to have both municipal and non-municipal voters. Indeed, my own precinct includes voters from two different municipalities and non-municipal voters as well, but results are only reported by precinct. (Precincts are organized by county boards of election in this State, so each precinct is in exactly one county.)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 12:26:11 PM »

You can go to the actual precicnt data and just use the sum function in the excel file as ohio does have matching precincts to township lines.
Neptunium
Taiwan

Political Matrix
E: 5.16, S: -1.90

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 01:28:31 PM »

You can go to the actual precicnt data and just use the sum function in the excel file as ohio does have matching precincts to township lines.

I got the precinct data but sadly I am have sure which city or town it belongs, since the excel file doesn't give clear information about which city it belongs. Plus seems that the shapefile of OH county subdivision doesn't give some village text file of OH, For instance the village of West Union, Ohio doesn't appear in the shapefile, I wonder How can I do this without a file which present all the town and city...

Too bad
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 02:20:16 PM »

I got the precinct data but sadly I am have sure which city or town it belongs, since the excel file doesn't give clear information about which city it belongs. Plus seems that the shapefile of OH county subdivision doesn't give some village text file of OH, For instance the village of West Union, Ohio doesn't appear in the shapefile, I wonder How can I do this without a file which present all the town and city...

Too bad

You can use DRA 2020 and find the precicnt name in the excel file to find the 2020 results
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 12:05:57 PM »

Too bad
In Ohio, at least historically, a village is not independent of its township. To confuse matters, village names are often the same as that of the township.

This is a map of Adams County, Ohio.

The heaviest lines are county subdivisions (in Adams County, these are all townships). In more populous areas many/most will be cities.

The finer lines, along with the names are VTD (voting districts or election precincts). The names are of the VTD, though some VTD's are coterminous with the township of the same name. But Locust Grove VTD is coterminous with Franklin Township.

Tiffin Township includes the VTD's of Tiffin East, Tiffin West, West Union A, and West Union B. The latter two are also within the village of West Union. Villages are not necessarily contained within a single township, and VTD's don't necessarily match villages.

VTD's don't 100% line up with townships. For example Seaman Village VTD has a tiny bit in Wayne Township (Wayne Township VTD is not the entirety of Wayne Township). Part of the village of Seaman is not in Seaman Village VTD.

The green areas are places. In Census terms a place includes both incorporated cities and villages (formal governments) and CDP (census designated places), which are just areas of settlement, which the census bureau in conjunction with local authorities has delineated for statistical purposes.

Not every village has a voting district. In Adams County, the green blobs in Wayne and Sprigg Township are CDPS. The little green blob in Green Township is the Village or Rome (incidentally, even locals don't call the village by its proper name of Rome. Instead they call it Stout after the founder in 1835, and also used by the USPS.

I know where there is a file with VTD-Census Block associations. I don't know where there is a file with County Subdivision-Census Block associations. I'm sure it can be done in QGIS.

With the two, you could determine the area of each VTD that is in each County Subdivision (in almost all cases this will be the entire area of the VTD). For the others, you can assign a VTD to a County Subdivision based on the majority of the area.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies