Former MTV News correspondent SuChin Pak faced anti-Asian racism while working at MTV News
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:18:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Former MTV News correspondent SuChin Pak faced anti-Asian racism while working at MTV News
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Former MTV News correspondent SuChin Pak faced anti-Asian racism while working at MTV News  (Read 98 times)
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2021, 05:57:44 PM »

For those who grew up watching MTV back in the 2000's, SuChin Pak was a familiar face on the channel, delivering news updates on TRL and the 10-to-the-Hours, along with specials.  Yesterday on her Instagram page, Pak told the story of her experience of being on the receiving end of anti-Asian racism while working at MTV News.

Suzy Byrne at Yahoo! Entertainment:
SuChin Pak, a fixture at MTV for more than a decade, says that a white male executive once used an ethnic slur while talking about her behind her back in the workplace.

Amid the mass shooting in Atlanta killing six Asian women, as well as increased anti-Asian hate crimes during the pandemic, the former MTV News correspondent, 44, detailed a racist incident she experienced at the newsroom there.

“Years ago, when I was a news correspondent at MTV, I overheard a colleague of mine, while watching me do the news that evening, tell a room full of people that I looked like a ‘me sucky sucky love you long time’ *****,” Pak wrote, a line that originated in Stanley Kubrick's 1987 film Full Metal Jacket in a scene showing a Vietnamese prostitute approaching a U.S. soldier.

“I was young, afraid as usual to cause a fuss or be seen as difficult or too ‘sensitive,’ being the only female in the newsroom so I didn’t say anything in the moment.”

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies