UK By-elections thread, 2021-
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 10:42:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK By-elections thread, 2021-
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 ... 126
Author Topic: UK By-elections thread, 2021-  (Read 187650 times)
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2675 on: December 14, 2023, 01:46:49 PM »
« edited: December 14, 2023, 06:17:38 PM by JimJamUK »

Is someone going to do a write-up of the seat for the benefit of the uninitiated? Could be, ahem, interesting.
It’s basically the southern part of Blackpool (and a majority of the council itself). It’s largely working class, in some cases very (very) poor. It’s actually not really a pensioners seat despite the reputation, though the suburbs are noticeably older and more middle class than most of the seat. Blackpool is of course a famous seaside resort. It went into decline many decades ago, and is basically the poster child of downmarket British holiday destinations.

Politically, it was originally a safe Conservative seat. I don’t believe boundary changes have been that big, so for the Conservative majority to be smaller in 1983 than 1945 is suggestive of a long term trend towards Labour. This occurred in many seaside towns, but the marked decline of the town will have helped. Labour finally gained it with a large majority in 1997, and still held on in 2010. It looked fairly secure at this point, but of course 2019 happened and both the size of the majority and the ~70% Leave vote led to a Conservative gain. The swing at the 2023 local elections was on the lower end of what Labour was getting in this sort of place, but not enough to suggest a Conservative hold, especially in a scandal caused by-election.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #2676 on: December 14, 2023, 02:24:26 PM »

Anyone intending to canvass there might be interested to know that you can get a £1 burger from this place.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186332-d6479548-Reviews-Higgitt_s_Las_Vegas_Amusements-Blackpool_Lancashire_England.html
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2677 on: December 14, 2023, 02:40:17 PM »

Here are the top twelve Lower Super Output Areas for deprivation in the 2019 Index of Multiple Deprivation for England.  As this is England only, Rhyl does not feature.

1. Tendring 018A (i.e. part of Jaywick, Essex)
2. Blackpool 010A (in Bloomfield ward)
3. Blackpool 006A (in Claremont ward)
4. Blackpool 013B (Bloomfield again)
5. Blackpool 013A (and again)
6. Blackpool 013D (in Waterloo ward)
7. Blackpool 010E (in Talbot ward)
8. Blackpool 011A (back in Bloomfield)
9. Blackpool 008D (Claremont again)
10. Liverpool 019C (in Anfield ward)
11. Blackpool 006B (Claremont again)
12. Blackpool 013C (Bloomfield yet again)

Claremont is in Blackpool North & Cleveleys but will move to South in the next General Election; the other Blackpool wards listed are already in South.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2678 on: December 14, 2023, 03:27:29 PM »

Here are the top twelve Lower Super Output Areas for deprivation in the 2019 Index of Multiple Deprivation for England.  As this is England only, Rhyl does not feature.

Claremont is in Blackpool North & Cleveleys but will move to South in the next General Election; the other Blackpool wards listed are already in South.

I've probably set foot in or near most of those areas. Been on multiple holidays in Blackpool, have had a couple of visits to Anfield for football reasons and went on holiday to Clacton as a five-year old. These visits all took place from about the late 1990s to late 2000s, and they all seemed pretty grim then. This was before austerity, of course.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2679 on: December 14, 2023, 04:48:15 PM »

What connects Jaywick (the closest thing the UK has to a shanty town) and those parts of Blackpool isn't just that they're seaside towns, it's also that these are places you end up when everything has gone very wrong with your life and there's nowhere else you can go.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2680 on: December 16, 2023, 04:45:15 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2023, 04:54:06 AM by Torrain »

Benton is appealing his suspension, and making a complaint to the Independent Expert Panel. He says members of the Standards Committee leaked data about his suspension before he’d seen it, and then goes on a short ramble about how effective he’s been as an MP. Amazed he had the restraint to avoid calling it a witch hunt, although that’s clearly implied.

It’s not going to save him, of course, but it’s clear he’s going to try and play this out for as long as possible - Ferrier-style.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2681 on: December 16, 2023, 06:22:36 AM »

Appeals seem to be quite swiftly dealt with when it is an open and shut case, though - that was certainly the case with Ferrier. So it is unlikely Benton will drag things out that much further and his appeal is set to be heard soon after parliament reconvenes next month.

So it should still be possible to have a byelection (intervening GE permitting) in May if not earlier.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2682 on: December 19, 2023, 11:24:23 AM »

The Wellingborough recall outcome is expected at around 8pm this evening, apparently.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2683 on: December 19, 2023, 03:27:35 PM »

And we're off:

YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2684 on: December 19, 2023, 05:01:50 PM »

A bit lower than I'd expected, though not really close to failing.

Bone has said that he "will have more to say on these matters in the New Year".  Perhaps he is intending to stand in the by-election.  (Assuming it happens: if Sunak is definitely planning a spring election and happy for people to infer this it probably won't.)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2685 on: December 19, 2023, 05:14:56 PM »

Very telling that it’s basically assumed labour will easily win a seat with an 18K Tory majority in a heavily leave area.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #2686 on: December 19, 2023, 05:49:23 PM »

The food poisoning comes free.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2687 on: December 20, 2023, 09:52:18 AM »

Very telling that it’s basically assumed labour will easily win a seat with an 18K Tory majority in a heavily leave area.

Though it did vote Labour in 1997 and 2001, before narrowly going Tory in 2005.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #2688 on: December 20, 2023, 10:20:00 AM »

Apart from the rigged one, every recall petition has easily passed. Is this a good thing? I'm of two minds.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2689 on: December 20, 2023, 10:31:36 AM »

Apart from the rigged one, every recall petition has easily passed. Is this a good thing? I'm of two minds.

The interesting thing is that the current system is a weird hybrid; it was originally intended that a recall would happen if you were suspended for longer than 10 days from the House. This often only happened in rather obvious breaches of rules of traditional parliamentary rules e.g not declaring free flights or hotel trips, doing lobbying etc and this had to be investigated by the standards committee and was relatively rare.

But then the ICG scheme was introduced which specifically created a body that could investigate bullying and sexual harassment by MPs; this has in several cases reported and caused MPs to quit rather than face the indignity of a recall.

By my count this is the 10th by election related to members personal conduct

It has never been said but I assumed the hope is that one way to stop this behaviour is that for MPs to realise that breaches of the behaviour code will lead them to lose their jobs; I can't recall all the reports but the committee & body basically now have a button (recommendation of suspension for more than 10 days) which can lead to a by election.

TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2690 on: December 20, 2023, 10:50:36 AM »

This could be a useful indication of whether Reform's ~10% support in many national polls is genuine. Wellingborough is the kind of place where the ought to be doing at least somewhat better than whatever their genuine overall support is. Which probably means they'll get about 6% or something like that.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2691 on: December 20, 2023, 11:27:33 AM »

The interesting thing is that the current system is a weird hybrid; it was originally intended that a recall would happen if you were suspended for longer than 10 days from the House. This often only happened in rather obvious breaches of rules of traditional parliamentary rules e.g not declaring free flights or hotel trips, doing lobbying etc and this had to be investigated by the standards committee and was relatively rare.

But then the ICG scheme was introduced which specifically created a body that could investigate bullying and sexual harassment by MPs; this has in several cases reported and caused MPs to quit rather than face the indignity of a recall.

It has never been said but I assumed the hope is that one way to stop this behaviour is that for MPs to realise that breaches of the behaviour code will lead them to lose their jobs; I can't recall all the reports but the committee & body basically now have a button (recommendation of suspension for more than 10 days) which can lead to a by election.

Yes, it’s definitely a record for members resigning or being recalled due to scandal. It’s interesting to look at how the makeup of by-elections has changed over the years; before the expenses scandal (which led directly to the resignations of Michael Martin and Ian Gibson and helped midwife the recall system) it was basically unheard of for MPs to resign because of a scandal. Instead, the principle cause of by-elections tended to be deaths, which have declined dramatically in recent parliaments, presumably due to most MPs being younger/healthier. It would be interesting to have seen how many by-elections the Major government would have had to endure had the modern rules and mores around the personal conduct of MPs been in place then.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2692 on: December 20, 2023, 01:26:09 PM »

Yes, it’s definitely a record for members resigning or being recalled due to scandal. It’s interesting to look at how the makeup of by-elections has changed over the years; before the expenses scandal (which led directly to the resignations of Michael Martin and Ian Gibson and helped midwife the recall system) it was basically unheard of for MPs to resign because of a scandal. Instead, the principle cause of by-elections tended to be deaths, which have declined dramatically in recent parliaments, presumably due to most MPs being younger/healthier. It would be interesting to have seen how many by-elections the Major government would have had to endure had the modern rules and mores around the personal conduct of MPs been in place then.

Certainly Colne Valley and Bosworth, as those MPs actually did get suspensions which would have triggered the recall procedure had it existed.  The report into the better known Hamilton/Smith case didn't report until after the 1997 election, when both were no longer MPs.

As you say most by-elections back then were due to deaths, whereas since 2010 they're roughly equally split between deaths, scandal and people taking other jobs, with a few which don't really fall into any of those categories.

One cause which has of course completely disappeared but used to appear from time to time was the MP inheriting a hereditary peerage (before 1963, whether they wanted it or not).
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2693 on: December 21, 2023, 06:28:21 AM »

I wasn't totally sold on recall when it was proposed, but on balance it has been a good thing - and one of the parts of our political system that works reasonably well (in contrast to other aspects just now)

Its advocates actually hope that over time the number of recall byelections will decrease as their just being there has a deterrent effect on MPs. 
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix

« Reply #2694 on: December 21, 2023, 12:02:23 PM »

On that note I will be getting a rover (well, combining two) next year to campaign in Blackpool and twice a day participate in the Blackpool North station experience/experiment. I will try the burger and report back if I am still alive.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2695 on: December 21, 2023, 12:45:26 PM »

Why has there been a reduction in the number of MPs resigning to take ‘big jobs’?

Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2696 on: December 21, 2023, 05:09:49 PM »

Why has there been a reduction in the number of MPs resigning to take ‘big jobs’?

They’re doing f*uck-all right now and getting paid for it. Why go for a job that requires “actual work”?
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix

« Reply #2697 on: December 22, 2023, 10:02:25 AM »

Elaborating on my Blackpool North comment for the benefit of anyone who may be going to Blackpool to canvass: the railway station is (in)famous (among people interested in the railway, anyway) for its authoritarian atmosphere and the staff’s hostility to any and all passengers. The doors of the station building are only unlocked upon arrival and just before departure, all year at all times. Yes, this has led to trains departing without any passengers on in the past.

Blackpool South, on the other hand, is Blackpool South. Enjoy your hourly service as far as Preston!

edit: Oh, yes, the constituencies: despite the names you can get to Blackpool South fairly easily from either of them. Blackpool North is just across the constituency boundary.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2698 on: December 24, 2023, 10:43:21 AM »

They’re doing f*uck-all right now and getting paid for it. Why go for a job that requires “actual work”?

The sort of "big jobs" beloved of ex-Tory MPs in particular don't always involve this tbf Wink
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2699 on: December 24, 2023, 05:05:43 PM »

This could be a useful indication of whether Reform's ~10% support in many national polls is genuine. Wellingborough is the kind of place where the ought to be doing at least somewhat better than whatever their genuine overall support is. Which probably means they'll get about 6% or something like that.

That applies just as much to Tamworth if not more, so that may be a generous estimate.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 ... 126  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies