UK By-elections thread, 2021-
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:05:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK By-elections thread, 2021-
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 ... 126
Author Topic: UK By-elections thread, 2021-  (Read 178824 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2525 on: October 19, 2023, 08:45:41 PM »

Tamworth Results:

Sarah Edwards (Labour):  11,719
Andrew Cooper (C‌onservative): 10,403
Ian Cooper (Reform UK): 1,373

_____Saved Deposit_______

Robert Bilcliff (UKIP): 436
Howling Laud Hope (Loony): 155
Sue Howarth (Green): 417
Peter Longman (Ind): 86
Ashlea Simon (Britain First): 580
Sunny Virk (Liberal-Democrat): 417

Labour Flip
Harlow

« Reply #2526 on: October 19, 2023, 08:47:02 PM »

Oof, the Britain First and UKIP candidates beating the Greens and Lib Dems.
icc
Rookie
« Reply #2527 on: October 19, 2023, 08:49:40 PM »

I actually thought Labour would win this by a bit more - doesn't point to these 'swingy' ex-marginals swinging hard back to Labour. If the swing in the national polls does indeed come to pass, we may well need to get used to a very unfamiliar looking map.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2528 on: October 19, 2023, 08:52:37 PM »

Mid Beds provisionally expected in the next 20 minutes.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #2529 on: October 19, 2023, 08:55:57 PM »

I actually thought Labour would win this by a bit more - doesn't point to these 'swingy' ex-marginals swinging hard back to Labour. If the swing in the national polls does indeed come to pass, we may well need to get used to a very unfamiliar looking map.

I think they'll take a 23% swing lol
adma
« Reply #2530 on: October 19, 2023, 08:56:17 PM »

Well, mea culpa w/my earlier anticipation of underperformance for Reform UK.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2531 on: October 19, 2023, 08:58:27 PM »

Well, mea culpa w/my earlier anticipation of underperformance for Reform UK.

They ought to be doing better than that in Tamworth if their polling is accurate.

The worst thing about this result is Britain First getting a not completely embarrassing result.
icc
Rookie
« Reply #2532 on: October 19, 2023, 09:00:20 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2023, 09:03:59 PM by icc »

My point was not to do down the Labour performance (not at all! It is clearly a spectacular result) - it was purely about the way a large Labour swing in a general election will present itself. It may be that the shifts we saw in 2019 are more permanent than many expected.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2533 on: October 19, 2023, 09:02:28 PM »

Some of us were expecting it to be closer to the historic swing in Dudley West rather than Selby, mainly cause Pincher seemingly created a worse environment for the local party then even the national situation.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2534 on: October 19, 2023, 09:05:38 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2023, 09:11:09 PM by Torrain »

Second-largest Con-Lab swing since 1945 in Tamworth tonight.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #2535 on: October 19, 2023, 09:10:04 PM »

My point was not to do down the Labour performance (not at all! It is clearly a spectacular result) - it was purely about the way a large Labour swing in a general election will present itself. It may be that the shifts we saw in 2019 are more permanent than many expected.

There's always a floor for each party meaning hig swimgs won't be uniform,  and i expect that Brexit voters have changed what the Tory foor is in certain former Labour safe seats or marginals. Is that what you're getting at?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2536 on: October 19, 2023, 09:12:41 PM »

Monstrous swing. The parts of the constituency outside Tamworth town put a hard limit on things, and yet nevertheless...

Btw, as far as social and economic structures are concerned, the area has changed quite substantially since the 1990s (not in Labour's favour at all) and Pincher had a 2:1 lead over Labour in 2015.
icc
Rookie
« Reply #2537 on: October 19, 2023, 09:13:45 PM »

There's always a floor for each party meaning hig swimgs won't be uniform,  and i expect that Brexit voters have changed what the Tory foor is in certain former Labour safe seats or marginals. Is that what you're getting at?
Pretty much - the size of the swing in the polls has led many (including myself) to conclude that Labour will see a bigger swing back in their favour in Brexit-voting marginals and ex-marginals, whilst possibly falling short in a place like Rushcliffe, a remain voting area which has recently become semi-marginal.

This result (not to over-extrapolate!) may indicate that the swing at the next GE is going to be more uniform than expectations.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #2538 on: October 19, 2023, 09:14:18 PM »

I doubt it. A large part of the different result seems to be down to the town and surrounding area changing. A lot more affluent commuters than twenty or thirty years ago.

There's always a floor for each party meaning hig swimgs won't be uniform,  and i expect that Brexit voters have changed what the Tory foor is in certain former Labour safe seats or marginals. Is that what you're getting at?

Brexit is almost irrelevant at this point. The Tory floor has changed in those 'certain former Labour safe seats' mainly because of consolidation with the collapse of the Lib Dems—but try explaining that to any of the 'Red Wall' people. You can see the same process in reverse in much of southern England.
icc
Rookie
« Reply #2539 on: October 19, 2023, 09:15:00 PM »

Monstrous swing. The parts of the constituency outside Tamworth town put a hard limit on things, and yet nevertheless...

Btw, as far as social and economic structures are concerned, the area has changed quite substantially since the 1990s (not in Labour's favour at all) and Pincher had a 2:1 lead over Labour in 2015.

Just to note - the parts of the constituency outside Tamworth town have always been included in the seat. This isn't relevant to comparisons with previous results.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix

« Reply #2540 on: October 19, 2023, 09:17:24 PM »

Pretty much - the size of the swing in the polls has led many (including myself) to conclude that Labour will see a bigger swing back in their favour in Brexit-voting marginals and ex-marginals, whilst possibly falling short in a place like Rushcliffe, a remain voting area which has recently become semi-marginal.

This result (not to over-extrapolate!) may indicate that the swing at the next GE is going to be more uniform than expectations.

I don't know what you're talking about. In July we saw a swing of five points in an affluent suburban London seat and a swing of more than twenty in a Brexit-voting Red Wall seat.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2541 on: October 19, 2023, 09:17:30 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2023, 09:23:11 PM by YL »

Mid Bedfordshire

Labour 13872 (34.1%, +12.4)
Con 12680 (31.1%, -28.6)
Lib Dem 9420 (23.1%, +10.5)
Mackey 1865 (4.6%, new)
Reform UK 1487 (3.7%, new)
Green 732 (1.8%, -2.0)
OMRLP 249 (0.6%, -0.2)
Eng Dem 107 (0.3%, new)
CPA 101 (0.2%, new)
True and Fair 93 (0.2%, -1.0 on the candidate's result as Independent)
Heritage 63 (0.2%, new)
Emperor of India 27 (0.1%, new)
Mainstream 24 (0.1%, new)

Lab gain from Con
Majority 1192
Swing 20.5%
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2542 on: October 19, 2023, 09:18:08 PM »

AKINBUSOYE (CON): 12,680
HOLLAND-LINDSAY (LD): 9,420
STRATHERN (LAB): 13,872
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2543 on: October 19, 2023, 09:18:15 PM »

Mid-Bedfordshire Result:

Alistair Strathern (Labour): 13,872
Festus Akinbusoye (C‌onservative): 12,680
Emma Holland-Lindsay (Liberal-Democrat): 9,420

_____Saved Deposit_______

Sid Cordle (Christian People's): 101
Prince Ankit Love Emperor of India (Ind): 27
Dave Holland (Reform UK): 1,487
Ann Kelly (Loony): 249
Gareth Mackey (Ind): 1,865
Chris Rooney (Mainstream): 24
Cade Sibley (Green): 732
Alberto Thomas (Heritage Party): 63
Alan Victor (True and Fair Party): 93
Antonio Vitiello (English Democrats): 107

Labour Gain
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix

« Reply #2544 on: October 19, 2023, 09:20:32 PM »

Another Labour gain in a post-industrial, rural Red Wall seat.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2545 on: October 19, 2023, 09:21:43 PM »

Lmao the Tories got humiliated tonight. Love to see them losing Mid Bedfordshire and with such a huge swing, they can't even win a seat with a 25,000 majority when the opposition vote is split. They are such a toxic government.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #2546 on: October 19, 2023, 09:21:45 PM »

I don't know what you're talking about. In July we saw a swing of five points in an affluent suburban London seat and a swing of more than twenty in a Brexit-voting Red Wall seat.
Uxbridge was more down to ULEZ/Sadiq backlash I thought?
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix

« Reply #2547 on: October 19, 2023, 09:22:52 PM »

There's always a floor for each party meaning hig swimgs won't be uniform,  and i expect that Brexit voters have changed what the Tory foor is in certain former Labour safe seats or marginals. Is that what you're getting at?

Uxbridge was more down to ULEZ/Sadiq backlash I thought?

Yes, the metropolitan elite love their luxury beliefs. They don't understand the concerns of real people in places like Selby.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #2548 on: October 19, 2023, 09:24:38 PM »

Absolutely thrashed the Lib Dem’s. Should kill them off across the country and force them to stick to a few dozen deeply Tory seats.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2549 on: October 19, 2023, 09:26:08 PM »

Another Labour gain in a post-industrial, rural Red Wall seat.

Well, they did use to make the materials for Red Walls here.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 ... 126  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies