UK By-elections thread, 2021-
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:40:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK By-elections thread, 2021-
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 ... 126
Author Topic: UK By-elections thread, 2021-  (Read 178751 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2325 on: September 15, 2023, 11:14:15 AM »

The betting markets have moved to show a dead-heat, with Labour poised to pull ahead. Obviously we’re talking about an unscientific, lagging factor. But it does remove one of the few remaining factors the Lib Dems could point to, in order to claim ‘main challenger’ status:
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #2326 on: September 15, 2023, 12:29:22 PM »

Looks like Mid Bed will be excitingly close
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2327 on: September 16, 2023, 03:34:57 AM »

Possibly, though odds aren't always the most accurate indicator of what's going on on the ground. (See Chesham & Amersham, where the Tories were overwhelming favourites with the betting markets but weren't even close to holding the seat; the markets were also "wrong" in Batley & Spen and Uxbridge & South Ruislip in the sense that the favourite did not win but those were close results and the markets did suggest a reasonable probability of the seats being held.)

As it happens since the tweet quoted above the markets have moved back in the Lib Dems' favour a little.  But I don't know whether the people putting money on them have any idea what is actually happening in Mid Bedfordshire.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #2328 on: September 16, 2023, 05:30:31 AM »

Possibly, though odds aren't always the most accurate indicator of what's going on on the ground. (See Chesham & Amersham, where the Tories were overwhelming favourites with the betting markets but weren't even close to holding the seat; the markets were also "wrong" in Batley & Spen and Uxbridge & South Ruislip in the sense that the favourite did not win but those were close results and the markets did suggest a reasonable probability of the seats being held.)

As it happens since the tweet quoted above the markets have moved back in the Lib Dems' favour a little.  But I don't know whether the people putting money on them have any idea what is actually happening in Mid Bedfordshire.

Of course, my comment wasn't just based on the betting market, but on the fact you hear different things from different people and this one is being seriously contested by both Lib Dems and Labour
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2329 on: September 16, 2023, 06:55:24 AM »

In spite of the mixed track record of such things, I'd like to see another poll of Mid Beds.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2330 on: September 16, 2023, 07:02:53 AM »

Seen a claim on Twitter that a Rutherglen poll might be coming soon.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2331 on: September 16, 2023, 07:07:01 AM »

Seen a claim on Twitter that a Rutherglen poll might be coming soon.

Link?  Searching Twitter for the words "Rutherglen" and "poll" just finds SNP supporters (and Guido) talking about the latest YouGov poll (which showed quite a swing to them) and using it to suggest that they might hold on.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2332 on: September 16, 2023, 09:16:55 AM »

In spite of the mixed track record of such things, I'd like to see another poll of Mid Beds.

TFW you know the future

Though in all honesty,  with the track record of by-elections and constituency polls, this really just tells us it's a three-way. Which was already known.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2333 on: September 16, 2023, 09:46:26 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2023, 09:55:46 AM by Torrain »

TFW you know the future

Though in all honesty,  with the track record of by-elections and constituency polls, this really just tells us it's a three-way. Which was already known.

Polling accuracy aside - surely this is exactly the result Labour would want from a Mid Beds poll. "It's a dead heat, don't vote Lib Dem and let the Tories back in", is campaign gold dust.

They've basically been gifted the perfect figures for a Lib Dem leaflet bar-chart, and they don't even need to mess with the y-axis, it's ideal for them - "only Labour can beat the Tories here".
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2334 on: September 16, 2023, 12:04:48 PM »

The Independent is much lower in this poll than in the Opinium one. I'm not very surprised by that, but it's the biggest change between the two polls.

FWIW I believe 29% would be the lowest winning share in a by-election in the era of universal suffrage. I suspect it'll end up a bit higher than that in the end, though.
Harlow

« Reply #2335 on: September 16, 2023, 01:07:22 PM »

What's the lowest winning vote share in any seat, including general elections, since universal suffrage?
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #2336 on: September 16, 2023, 01:19:03 PM »

What's the lowest winning vote share in any seat, including general elections, since universal suffrage?
Belfast South in 2015 was won by the SDLP with only 24.5%. I’m sure someone else knows a lower figure somewhere.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2337 on: September 16, 2023, 02:01:54 PM »

Belfast South in 2015 was won by the SDLP with only 24.5%. I’m sure someone else knows a lower figure somewhere.

That's the lowest Wikipedia's General Election records page knows about.
adma
« Reply #2338 on: September 16, 2023, 04:32:35 PM »

That's the lowest Wikipedia's General Election records page knows about.

There's also the immortal Inverness, Nairn and Lochaber 1992 4-way supermarginal result (26.0 Lib Dem, 25.1 Lab, 24.7 SNP, 22.6 Con)
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2339 on: September 17, 2023, 01:22:10 AM »

Fuller figures and tables for the Survation poll: www.survation.com/mid-bedfordshire-by-election-update/

It appears that all declared candidates were prompted for.

Akinbusoye (Con) 29%
Strathern (Lab) 29%
Holland-Lindsay (Lib Dem) 22%
Holland (Reform UK) 7%
Mackey (Ind) 6%
Victor (True and Fair) 4%
Sibley (Green) 2%
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2340 on: September 17, 2023, 01:34:21 AM »

Polling accuracy aside - surely this is exactly the result Labour would want from a Mid Beds poll. "It's a dead heat, don't vote Lib Dem and let the Tories back in", is campaign gold dust.

They've basically been gifted the perfect figures for a Lib Dem leaflet bar-chart, and they don't even need to mess with the y-axis, it's ideal for them - "only Labour can beat the Tories here".

You can, however, always rely on the Lib Dems to come up with a bar chart:
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2341 on: September 17, 2023, 03:31:40 AM »

Unskew the polls!

The reform vote looks too high and I really doubt G*** M***er tiny party is going to get 4%.

I’m curious how the long campaign has been influencing this race; I know from a family friend who lives in the seat that they have had leaflets from Labour and the Liberals and been invited to a ‘coffee and chat’ with Labours PPC.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2342 on: September 17, 2023, 03:32:16 AM »

It’s weird how little coverage the Scottish by election is getting- I’ve not even seen a vox pox!
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2343 on: September 17, 2023, 03:45:05 AM »

It’s weird how little coverage the Scottish by election is getting- I’ve not even seen a vox pox!

I suspect that is a combination of
(a) the media think it's a foregone conclusion (though, again, Chesham & Amersham did happen)
(b) I suspect you'd have seen more coverage if you'd looked at the Herald or the Scotsman
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #2344 on: September 17, 2023, 04:02:52 AM »

The reform vote looks too high and I really doubt G*** M***er tiny party is going to get 4%.
Wait, what!?

Truly one of the most random ‘credible’ poll results I’ve ever seen.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2345 on: September 17, 2023, 10:02:50 AM »

Unskew the polls!

Especially with the Greens on just 2%.

Though the main party figures do look credible - the earlier survey had the Indy implausibly high.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2346 on: September 17, 2023, 10:24:20 AM »

Unskew the polls!

Though the main party figures do look credible - the earlier survey had the Indy implausibly high.

Not necesseraly wrong then, through. It was right after the local elections (where he would have had an higher profile) and before the big party machines got on the ground.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2347 on: September 17, 2023, 04:09:20 PM »

In funny news a focus group found someone who liked the Labour ppc after hearing about the CCHQ attack story about him being a greenpeace campaigner- its really baffling how slow Westminster is to wake up the fact that people of all political stripes care about the Environment!
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #2348 on: September 17, 2023, 04:32:57 PM »

In funny news a focus group found someone who liked the Labour ppc after hearing about the CCHQ attack story about him being a greenpeace campaigner- its really baffling how slow Westminster is to wake up the fact that people of all political stripes care about the Environment!

See also: the bizarre attempts to pretend that the obsessions of (a section of) the Outer London middle class are those of the so-called 'Red Wall'.
adma
« Reply #2349 on: September 17, 2023, 04:43:58 PM »

Unskew the polls!

Not necesseraly wrong then, through. It was right after the local elections (where he would have had an higher profile) and before the big party machines got on the ground.

Another possible reason for a high Reform: a shared (partial) name w/the Lib Dem candidate.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 ... 126  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies