UK By-elections thread, 2021-
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:51:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK By-elections thread, 2021-
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 126
Author Topic: UK By-elections thread, 2021-  (Read 178819 times)
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1625 on: November 10, 2022, 03:07:46 PM »

Kate Green is now Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead, so Stretford & Urmston is officially vacant and the by-election can be on 15 December as suggested.

We could face a rather high number of by elections this term- especially considering how few are from ill health or death.

About 4 or 5 per year seems to be typical going back some time, though it was less in the Noughties (only 6 in the 2001 Parliament), but yes the proportion of them which are due to deaths is lower than in the past.  The rate was noticeably higher before 1979, but a lot were caused by deaths, and some by succeeding to a hereditary peerage, which of course can't cause a by-election any more.

The 1983 Parliament had 31 by-elections, but 15 of those were caused by the mass Unionist resignation in protest at the Anglo-Irish Agreement.  If I've counted correctly from the list on Wikipedia, the 1959 Parliament had 62!  (Two of them in Bristol South East, for well-known reasons.)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1626 on: November 11, 2022, 02:20:47 AM »

Kate Green is now Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead, so Stretford & Urmston is officially vacant and the by-election can be on 15 December as suggested.

We could face a rather high number of by elections this term- especially considering how few are from ill health or death.

About 4 or 5 per year seems to be typical going back some time, though it was less in the Noughties (only 6 in the 2001 Parliament), but yes the proportion of them which are due to deaths is lower than in the past.  The rate was noticeably higher before 1979, but a lot were caused by deaths, and some by succeeding to a hereditary peerage, which of course can't cause a by-election any more.

The 1983 Parliament had 31 by-elections, but 15 of those were caused by the mass Unionist resignation in protest at the Anglo-Irish Agreement.  If I've counted correctly from the list on Wikipedia, the 1959 Parliament had 62!  (Two of them in Bristol South East, for well-known reasons.)

Reading about the politics of the early '20s, it's shocking how many by-elections there used to be. By year:

1919: 20
1920: 24
1921: 37
1922: 27

In total there were 107 by-elections to the House of Commons elected in 1918. 18 were ministerial by-elections, which were abolished soon after, but that still leaves 89. That's so many!
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1627 on: November 11, 2022, 10:57:35 AM »

It is remarkable how few byelections there were in the 2001-05 parliament especially, and that shows amongst other things the effect of having such a big turnover of MPs in 1997.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #1628 on: November 11, 2022, 04:29:26 PM »

It is remarkable how few byelections there were in the 2001-05 parliament especially, and that shows amongst other things the effect of having such a big turnover of MPs in 1997.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think there’s been a by-election in a Tory seat where the MP died of natural causes since 1997 - in part due to this massive turnover reducing the average age.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1629 on: November 11, 2022, 05:43:49 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2022, 05:52:01 PM by CumbrianLefty »

I could be wrong, but I don’t think there’s been a by-election in a Tory seat where the MP died of natural causes since 1997 - in part due to this massive turnover reducing the average age.

James Brokenshire doesn't qualify?

Or indeed Eric Forth back in the 2005-10 parliament.

EDIT: there was also Alan Clark and (just!) Julian Shersby in the first Blair term.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #1630 on: November 12, 2022, 12:37:22 PM »

James Brokenshire doesn't qualify?

Or indeed Eric Forth back in the 2005-10 parliament.

EDIT: there was also Alan Clark and (just!) Julian Shersby in the first Blair term.

I’d forgotten Brokenshire! I think I realised this back in 2020 - but I admit I was unfamiliar with Forth & Shersby. There have certainly been fewer than on the Labour side (Paul Flynn, Gerald Kaufman, Jack Dromey just off the top of my head).
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1631 on: November 12, 2022, 03:06:50 PM »

Cheryl Gillan, as well.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1632 on: November 13, 2022, 06:52:10 AM »

Apparently (via the Times) Rosie Cooper hasn't resigned yet because she's still haggling for some sort of severance, including trying to angle for a peerage.

Race is now expected by party insiders to be delayed until January.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1633 on: November 13, 2022, 07:33:17 AM »

Claimed by her supporters she wants a peerage because of fears her security protection (after the far right plot to kill her a few years ago) will be withdrawn if she leaves parliament.

(though this has apparently been officially denied)
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1634 on: November 15, 2022, 04:37:58 PM »

And indeed it will be.  Deadline for nominations is 4pm on Tuesday 22nd.

A contender for the most boring by-election of this Parliament?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1635 on: November 15, 2022, 04:57:49 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2022, 02:31:38 AM by Blair »

Didn’t a Labour MP die after getting ill at some sort of banquet?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1636 on: November 15, 2022, 06:56:32 PM »

Don’t a Labour MP die after getting ill at some sort of banquet?

Jim Dobbin, yes. It was a Council of Europe do in Poland and the guests had a shot of vodka between each course...
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #1637 on: November 15, 2022, 07:51:42 PM »

I think all by-elections of that Parliament will be boring.

Can you consider any by-election outside of Scotland not been won by Labour or the LD ?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1638 on: November 16, 2022, 06:26:53 AM »

I think all by-elections of that Parliament will be boring.

Can you consider any by-election outside of Scotland not been won by Labour or the LD ?

Gavin Williamson's seat is one that springs to mind rather.

Anyway knowing the likely outcome of a byelection does not make it dull, by any means. In fact there are few if any contests that were *totally* without interest, though certain ones have come close.

(Knowsley South in 1990 being a notable example in my more formative years)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1639 on: November 16, 2022, 01:16:18 PM »

Jim Dobbin, yes. It was a Council of Europe do in Poland and the guests had a shot of vodka between each course...

Was in a wedding in Poland last month where a similar thing happened between every speech... i woke up in the hotel bathtub without my shoes, phone or glasses. Apparently it could have gone worse I guess.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1640 on: November 16, 2022, 02:24:23 PM »

Was in a wedding in Poland last month where a similar thing happened between every speech... i woke up in the hotel bathtub without my shoes, phone or glasses. Apparently it could have gone worse I guess.

At the inquest his wife said that, up until the point where he felt ill and went to bed, he had been having the perfect day. I suppose there are worse ways to sign off forever.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1641 on: November 16, 2022, 03:13:43 PM »

At the inquest his wife said that, up until the point where he felt ill and went to bed, he had been having the perfect day. I suppose there are worse ways to sign off forever.

Reminds me of this anecdote about the infamous Lunch with the Financial Times interviews:

The menus were not printed until 2003, so we cannot be sure of the all-time record for the most expensive lunch. It may have been achieved when Spivey met the 79-year-old poet Gavin Ewart at the Café Royal in October 1995. The exact cost is lost somewhere in the bowels of the FT accounts department. But the bill was somewhat overshadowed by the aftermath.

The main item on the agenda was alcohol, not food. Ewart began with several negronis (gin, vermouth, Campari), which is not an amateur’s drink, and carried on from there. “We departed the Café Royal in a moderately straight line,” Spivey said in the article. He put Ewart on a bus home then lurched off himself. The following day he received a call from Mrs Ewart.

“There are two things you need to know,” she said. “The first is that Gavin came home yesterday happier than I have seen him in a long time. The second – and you are not to feel bad about this – is that he died this morning.”
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1642 on: November 22, 2022, 01:31:49 PM »

Nine candidates for Stretford & Urmston:

Emily Carter-Kandola (Con)
Anna Fryer (Lib Dem)
Hazel Gibb (Independent)
Christina Glancy (Freedom Alliance)
Dan Jerrome (Green)
Jim Newell (Rejoin EU)
Paul Swansborough (Reform UK)
Andrew Western (Lab)
Julien Yvon (SDP)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1643 on: November 26, 2022, 10:40:23 AM »

Think Chester might be the least covered Labour by election in recent years… no beef over the selection, no handwringing about a certain demographic, no worries about a protest vote and all just very calm.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #1644 on: November 26, 2022, 11:50:30 AM »

Think Chester might be the least covered Labour by election in recent years… no beef over the selection, no handwringing about a certain demographic, no worries about a protest vote and all just very calm.
Are you suggesting Rejoin EU might not pull off a shock gain?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1645 on: November 27, 2022, 03:34:55 AM »

I think Stretford & Urmston might be even quieter.  There wasn't even a Labour selection there, the candidate having been selected some months ago.

I did wonder whether either might be a chance for the Green Party to put in a respectable challenge in a parliamentary by-election, but I haven't seen any evidence yet.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1646 on: November 27, 2022, 10:53:16 AM »

I think Stretford & Urmston might be even quieter.  There wasn't even a Labour selection there, the candidate having been selected some months ago.

I did wonder whether either might be a chance for the Green Party to put in a respectable challenge in a parliamentary by-election, but I haven't seen any evidence yet.

That's true; it's just slightly stranger by the fact that Chester isn't an uber-safe seat-it was only won by 93 votes in 2015, although its similar to a lot of those sort of seats that were narrow wins or misses in 2015 but which are now safe thanks to the Conservatives branding change.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1647 on: November 30, 2022, 04:38:38 PM »

Mutterings of a big win expected tomorrow.

I also think the local CLP have a good reputation and run a tight ship which doesn’t always matter but can help…
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1648 on: November 30, 2022, 04:39:19 PM »

What’s the lowest the Tories could realistically come?

3rd?
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1649 on: November 30, 2022, 05:15:48 PM »

What’s the lowest the Tories could realistically come?

3rd?

Even for that someone else would have to do quite well.

In other news, West Lancashire is finally vacant: Rosie Cooper was appointed Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds today.  So the by-election will presumably be some time in January.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 126  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies