2020: What would happen to the US if Trump had won and Republicans gained a trifecta?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:34:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2020: What would happen to the US if Trump had won and Republicans gained a trifecta?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020: What would happen to the US if Trump had won and Republicans gained a trifecta?  (Read 729 times)
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2021, 03:55:21 PM »

If the opposite happened, where Republicans got a trifecta, what would happen?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 08:14:05 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2021, 07:41:41 AM by The Daily Beagle »

Republicans would have gone from the first party in modern history to get completely voted out as fast as they were voted in to the first trifecta to reassert itself after losing it in a midterm.

I image if Biden won the PV by 3.3, this would of happened. Ossoff not getting his runoff, but Warnock, Peters, and Kelly still winning. Wisconsin, Arizona, and Georgia would have stayed Republican and maybe the GOP gets to 219 or 220 seats.

Of course it would make the Democrats look like the worst opposition in history (instead of Trump being the worst modern President in history) but if Republicans had say a three seat majority in the House and one or two seat majority in the Senate, I doubt that they would try to repeal Obamacare again or anything like that.

Things I definitely see happening:

Obamacare gets overturned on newly reasoned (or very old) constitutional rights

It would have emboldened state legislatures an opportunity to leverage a right wing supermajority on SCOTUS

It would be an indictment on the Democratic Establishment which would allow 2022 to be a very good year for Democrats or see 2022 cap the period where we transition into a dominant party system.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 04:35:18 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2021, 05:06:12 PM by ERM64man »

Republicans would have gone from the first party in modern history to get completely voted out as fast as they were voted in to the first trifecta to reassert itself after losing it in a midterm.

I image if Biden won the PV by 3.3, this would of happened. Ossoff not getting his runoff, but Warnock, Peters, and Kelly still winning. Wisconsin, Arizona, and Georgia would have stayed Republican and maybe the GOP gets to 219 or 220 seats.

Of course it would make the Democrats look like the worst opposition in history (instead of Trump being the worst modern President in history) but if Republicans had say a three seat majority in the House and one or two seat majority in the Senate, I doubt that they would try to repeal Obamacare again or anything like that.

It would have emboldened state legislatures an opportunity to leverage a right wing supermajority on SCOTUS

It would be an indictment on the Democratic Establishment which would allow 2022 to be a very good year for Democrats or see 2022 cap the period where we transition into a dominant party system.
No. The Supreme Court would certainly single-handedly kill American democracy forever where it would never come back. 2022 and every future election would be a Republican wave. Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina would have zero Democrats in congress. The Supreme Court would go farther than overturn Roe v. Wade. It would declare fetal personhood, making abortion illegal nationwide. Mitch McConnell would eliminate the filibuster. There would also be a national strict voter ID law passed and signed into law. Blue states would have their voter rolls purged.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 07:39:05 PM »

No. The Supreme Court would certainly single-handedly kill American democracy forever where it would never come back. 2022 and every future election would be a Republican wave. Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina would have zero Democrats in congress. The Supreme Court would go farther than overturn Roe v. Wade. It would declare fetal personhood, making abortion illegal nationwide. Mitch McConnell would eliminate the filibuster. There would also be a national strict voter ID law passed and signed into law. Blue states would have their voter rolls purged.

Erm, okay

You know you can write what you think in the original post
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 08:06:29 PM »

Hell.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 08:41:52 PM »

I'm positive what I said would happen.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 12:34:56 PM »

On one hand, Bush wasn't expected by as much as he did but still things more or less carried on. His major accomplishments being nudging SCOTUS ever so slightly to the right (thereby allowing for some Federal criminal restrictions on very late term abortions) and eliminating Bankruptcy for Middle Class and above debtors. His ultimate goals of confronting Iran, privatize Social Security, ending Medical Malpractice suits, restricting DNR orders, and making his medical research restrictions and tax cuts permeant.

I would expect a second term for another Republican to be similar but maybe the next Republican will finally able to overcome the institutions that have limited right-wingers in the past.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 12:41:12 PM »

On one hand, Bush wasn't expected by as much as he did but still things more or less carried on. His major accomplishments being nudging SCOTUS ever so slightly to the right (thereby allowing for some Federal criminal restrictions on very late term abortions) and eliminating Bankruptcy for Middle Class and above debtors. His ultimate goals of confronting Iran, privatize Social Security, ending Medical Malpractice suits, restricting DNR orders, and making his medical research restrictions and tax cuts permeant.

I would expect a second term for another Republican to be similar but maybe the next Republican will finally able to overcome the institutions that have limited right-wingers in the past.
Similar, but I also think SCOTUS would declare Medicare, Medicaid, the entire 1964 Civil Rights Act, Social Security, and the 1935 National Labor Relations Act unconstitutional. The country would also definitely end up with a 9-0 conservative SCOTUS for eternity.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies