The Ivy League
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:22:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Ivy League
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: If you could attend any of the following universities, which one would you go to?
Brown University RI

Columbia University NY

Cornell University NY

Dartmouth College NH

Harvard University MA

University of Pennsylvania PA

Prineton University NJ

Stanford University CA

Yale University CT

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: The Ivy League  (Read 1784 times)
Proud Houstonian
Proud Houstianan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2021, 11:35:10 AM »

Harvard because harvard
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2021, 12:14:00 PM »

I looked at a couple when I was applying to undergrad, and Harvard is the clear answer for probably obvious reasons. Its reputation is at least mostly deserved and it has a feeling of common purpose and mutual respect between students and professors that I think a lot of American schools lack. I suspect, even if there is a general societal move away from elite education that Harvard will be able to adapt and endure. The only real downside as far as I'm concerned is that, when my high school class found out who had been and accepted to or rejected from Harvard, there were a lot of raised eyebrows. There are definitely still some kinks to work out in that regard, and they're not even necessarily racial or income based.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2021, 12:25:20 PM »

Its reputation is at least mostly deserved and it has a feeling of common purpose and mutual respect between students and professors that I think a lot of American schools lack.
This is... not its reputation among law schools, at least. It is by far the largest of the top tier of law schools and has developed a reputation as a vicious, cutthroat place — a "lawyer factory" for new associates. That large of a class, combined with the sort of people drawn to Harvard because it's Harvard, lead to a lot more competition for professors’ attention, law review positions, and pretty much all of the other brass rings of law. I've heard lots of horror stories about people stealing notes, checking out all the textbooks so none are available in the library, in one case wiping another student's computer with a magnet — all stuff that wouldn't fly here or anywhere (except maybe GULC).
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2021, 12:48:56 PM »

Its reputation is at least mostly deserved and it has a feeling of common purpose and mutual respect between students and professors that I think a lot of American schools lack.
This is... not its reputation among law schools, at least.

I can tell you it's not Harvard's reputation in most of academia. In fact, just about every school in the Boston area is known for being cutthroat in my corner of academia. If you want professors who respect you, go to a small, local public university and be a student who pays attention, asks questions, and comes to office hours. The faculty will love you, and they were hired there because they care about teaching.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies