The Ivy League
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:11:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Ivy League
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: If you could attend any of the following universities, which one would you go to?
Brown University RI

Columbia University NY

Cornell University NY

Dartmouth College NH

Harvard University MA

University of Pennsylvania PA

Prineton University NJ

Stanford University CA

Yale University CT

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: The Ivy League  (Read 1785 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2021, 12:01:34 PM »

The Ivy League.

Please vote and discuss.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 12:50:58 PM »

Stanford is not even close to an Ivy League school. In a lot of ways, it's quite the contrast.

100 years ago, maybe even 50 years ago, the answer would of course be Princeton, but I'd have no serious desire to attend any of the Ivy League schools for an undergraduate education. For graduate education, Penn, Cornell and Princeton in that order would be acceptable, but ultimately I would not do that because it is financially foolish for me.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 12:52:42 PM »

Stanford is literally not in the Ivy League, dude
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 12:58:25 PM »

Of this list I would easily choose Stanford, but why is it here? Probably Columbia of the actual Ivy schools, but the Northeast doesn’t interest me
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 01:28:53 PM »

I got into Brown for undergrad, so that is my answer of the real Ivies here. I also got into a weird Harvard/MIT joint program for grad school, but it was pretty clear to me that wasn't a good fit for me after the interview, while I'm pretty sure I would have been happy at Brown for undergrad (if highly indebted).
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 01:45:15 PM »

I attend Stanford. My main recommendation is to not attend during a global pandemic.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 01:49:45 PM »

I’m not smart enough to attend any of those schools and even self-deprecation jokes aside, none of them have as good of meteorology programs as the school I currently go to so I wouldn’t attend any.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 02:10:33 PM »

"Stanford is consistently ranked as among the most prestigious and top universities in the world by major education publications."

I realize Stanford is not actually an Ivy League university, however, it is very highly ranked, as quoted above.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 02:19:20 PM »

ewww, why would anyone want to go to school with the kind of people who go to Ivy League schools?  Maybe....maybe, if like, 5 generations of your family have gone or something, otherwise...eww

(I'm not saying everyone that goes to these schools are horrible people, but the non-horrible ones can also be found in every other "good" school in the country, and they (generally) have way less of "the kind of people who go to Ivy League schools".)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 02:30:03 PM »

I went to Vanderbilt, and I'd definitively say that the "top tier schools in conferences with major sports" were all much better cultural fits for me than the Ivy League schools would have been.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 02:36:57 PM »

Columbia of these I guess. That or Darthmouth.

Not a big fan of the Ivy League. Also, lol @ Stanford, they were founded only because Ivy League wouldn't take their charity.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 06:50:39 PM »

Yale because it's the gayest
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 06:53:33 PM »

"Stanford is consistently ranked as among the most prestigious and top universities in the world by major education publications."

I realize Stanford is not actually an Ivy League university, however, it is very highly ranked, as quoted above.

There are other highly regarded schools in the US, but being highly regarded is not everything that makes a school "Ivy League". If one were including non-Ivy "Ivies" there are quite a few that are more so than Stanford. The idea of including non-Ivy League schools in the poll isn't ridiculous, but including only Stanford is highly ridiculous and thus is being justly ridiculed.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2021, 06:59:03 PM »

There are other highly regarded schools in the US, but being highly regarded is not everything that makes a school "Ivy League". If one were including non-Ivy "Ivies" there are quite a few that are more so than Stanford. The idea of including non-Ivy League schools in the poll isn't ridiculous, but including only Stanford is highly ridiculous and thus is being justly ridiculed.

I was under the impression that MIT and Stanford were pretty widely regarded as the two most prestigious non-Ivies?
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 07:27:25 PM »

This but pity I was closeted when I attended. :~|
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 08:46:34 PM »

I was under the impression that MIT and Stanford were pretty widely regarded as the two most prestigious non-Ivies?

Not to toot my own horn, but UChicago is also considered to be on par with most of the Ivies. Arguably Duke as well.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 05:47:04 AM »

Repeating with emphasis added for the reading-impaired.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 12:37:28 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2021, 01:17:17 PM by Alcibiades »

That’s not what I was responding to, I was responding to your assertion that there were lots of non-Ivies with a similar reputation to Stanford.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 12:45:32 PM »

Which begs the question...what actually is the history/origin of this term?  I know the Ivy League is actually a collegiate athletic conference (Est. 1954) comprising the eight institutions, but does the term predate its founding?  and did these eight schools exist as a collective in the public imagination prior to the athletic conference?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 12:58:35 PM »

The name “Harvard” alone opens a LOT of doors. I’m not a huge fan of “Ivy League people” either but it would be crazy not to go to a school like Harvard if you got in.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2021, 01:07:45 PM »

I guess Harvard because I would be able to go to Red Sox games with ease lol
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2021, 07:29:00 PM »

Which begs the question...what actually is the history/origin of this term?  I know the Ivy League is actually a collegiate athletic conference (Est. 1954) comprising the eight institutions, but does the term predate its founding?  and did these eight schools exist as a collective in the public imagination prior to the athletic conference?

Ivy had been associated with northeastern schools since the 19th century, and the term began being used informally by sportswriters in the 1930s.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2021, 07:36:55 PM »

I wish I could go back in time to study under Milton Babbitt at Princeton, George Crumb at Penn, or Tristan Murail at Columbia, but they've all retired and/or passed on now. I picked Columbia mainly because of the historical significance of their department, although it still seems solid.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2021, 09:04:47 PM »

I'd come close to closing Harvard or Stanford, as you can do anything with a degree from those schools, and they are located in cool locations.

But Brown was the Ivy I applied to, so I voted there.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2021, 01:45:18 AM »

Cornell because I’m a bird nerd.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies