SENATE RESOLUTION: Atlasian Life Protection Amendment (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:21:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE RESOLUTION: Atlasian Life Protection Amendment (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE RESOLUTION: Atlasian Life Protection Amendment (Failed)  (Read 1356 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2021, 04:28:14 PM »
« edited: April 14, 2021, 11:00:43 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

SENATE RESOLUTION
To amend the constitution to regulate the harmful effects of abortion and to protect our unborn children

Be it resolved in both houses of the Atlasian Congress Assembled, that with the ratification of 2/3rds of the Region, the Constitution shall be amended as follows:
Section 1. Title and Purpose

a. Too many countless lives are lost each year due to the heinous practice of abortion, and this bill is intended to protect life once a heartbeat is detected.

Section 2. Liability and Regulation

a. Any physician, knowingly or unknowingly, and thereby kills a human fetus by termination of a pregnancy -
i. Without determining, according to standard medical practice, whether the fetus has a detectable heartbeat
ii. Without informing the mother of the results of that determination
iii. After determining that the fetus has a detectable heartbeat after performing the standard medical practice
iv. As this practice contravenes the Hippocratic Oath, if all or one of the above conditions are met, a physician shall not be imprisoned more than 5 years and fined, or both.
v. If after this first offense, the physician subsequently performs another abortion, that physician shall lose the right to practice the profession of medicine
vi. Mothers shall bear no prosecution or repercussion for seeking an abortion

Sponsor: Spark
Senate Desigination: SR29:07
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 04:41:32 PM »

The sponsor has 24 hours for advocacy and other members have another 48 hours for responses.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 04:46:47 PM »

There is nothing more important than defending those who cannot defend themselves. This is the reason I support protecting the lives of the unborn.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 11:59:55 AM »

My first recommendation would be rather than to insert all of this language into the constitution, would merely be to shift the text towards amending the constitution so as to allow such language to be passed via statute.

Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 03:33:48 PM »

My first recommendation would be rather than to insert all of this language into the constitution, would merely be to shift the text towards amending the constitution so as to allow such language to be passed via statute.

Indeed.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 06:42:27 PM »

Atlasia almost certainly has a pro-choice electorate and pro choice majorities in both chambers. This bill is going to get aborted Tongue

That's not to say pro-life policies can't be passed in Atlasia (I am sure there might be some areas of compromise like banning third term abortions or a non-binding resolution saying abortion should be "safe, legal and rare" or something) but a ban on the constitution is DoA.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 07:36:15 PM »

I believe in the right to choose (of course there can be some minor limits on it), and can't support this. Furthermore, it doesn't seem like the amendment has any exceptions on it, so forced birth even in cases of threat to the life of the mother, incest and rape is an awful idea honestly.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 07:36:42 PM »

Nope. Nope Nope Nope.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 08:25:24 PM »

I thought we'd more or less come to an agreement that the regions decide abortion laws? This is the position, more or less, of the sponsor's previous party. This extreme amendment will assuredly be voted down, and it must be voted down.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 09:12:15 PM »

I thought we'd more or less come to an agreement that the regions decide abortion laws? This is the position, more or less, of the sponsor's previous party. This extreme amendment will assuredly be voted down, and it must be voted down.

Technically speaking, abortion is legal due to a ruling of the SC (A specific Atlasia ruling, though it pretty mich just put in place what already happens irl)

So theoretically if you wanted to ban abortions, or even just give the regions the power to do so, you'd need to pass a constitutional amendment.

Anything short of a full ban does get handled by the regions though
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 09:22:39 PM »

I believe in the right to choose (of course there can be some minor limits on it), and can't support this. Furthermore, it doesn't seem like the amendment has any exceptions on it, so forced birth even in cases of threat to the life of the mother, incest and rape is an awful idea honestly.

If someone proposes an amendment to the resolution to account for those exceptions, despite being personally opposed, I have no issue with it.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2021, 06:18:57 PM »

I support a women's right to choose & won't be supporting this bill.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2021, 06:21:06 PM »

I'm generally open on most issues to finding a common ground within the Senate and getting amendments to work and bridge the divide- but as Scott said the current regional system allows for this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2021, 08:49:33 PM »

To give thus a jolt of life back to the debate. I might be able to offer an amendment dealing with the constitutional narrowness I mentioned before, but I am hesitant to take a chainsaw approach to the text at the same time.

There are also some downside risks to that approach obviously as well.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2021, 04:37:09 AM »

I'll give Yankee the courtesy of offering an amendment but if we don't see one I'll be motioning to table this 
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2021, 09:41:14 AM »

I'll give Yankee the courtesy of offering an amendment but if we don't see one I'll be motioning to table this 

I think I have a framework in mind, but the earliest I can probably finalize an amendment text would be tomorrow.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2021, 10:44:20 AM »

I think I have a framework in mind, but the earliest I can probably finalize an amendment text would be tomorrow.

No worries that works perfectly.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2021, 12:13:57 AM »

Quote from: Amendment Offered
SENATE RESOLUTION
To amend the constitution to regulate the harmful effects of abortion and to protect our unborn children, while also legislating to the same effect

I. Be it resolved in both houses of the Atlasian Congress Assembled, that with the ratification of 2/3rds of the Region, the Constitution shall be amended as follows:

Atlasian Life Protection Amendment

1. This shall be entitled the Atlasian Life Protection Amendment

2. Congress shall have the authority to pass restrictions on the practice of abortion.

II. Be it Enacted in Both Houses of Congress Assembled
Section 1. Title and Purpose

a. This shall be titled the Atlasian Life Protection Act

b. Too many countless lives are lost each year due to the heinous practice of abortion, and this bill is intended to protect life once a heartbeat is detected.

Section 2. Liability and Regulation

a. Any physician, knowingly or unknowingly, and thereby kills a human fetus by termination of a pregnancy -
i. Without determining, according to standard medical practice, whether the fetus has a detectable heartbeat
ii. Without informing the mother of the results of that determination
iii. After determining that the fetus has a detectable heartbeat after performing the standard medical practice
iv. As this practice contravenes the Hippocratic Oath, if all or one of the above conditions are met, a physician shall not be imprisoned more than 5 years and fined, or both.
v. If after this first offense, the physician subsequently performs another abortion, that physician shall lose the right to practice the profession of medicine
vi. Mothers shall bear no prosecution or repercussion for seeking an abortion

III. No part of this resolution shall take effect unless I is ratified and II is signed.

This omnibus resolution approach has been used before it basically splits a piece of legislation in two with one half destined to the President upon passage as a bill/act/law, while the other portion is sent to the regions for ratification. Part III is non-severability to ensure that one portion doesn't pass or get enacted without the others.

Anyway, this is the technical structure that I think the bill sponsor is aiming for in terms of allowing an action to take place constitutionality, spelling that action out, but also not "legislating" via the constitution (inserting a bill length text I mean).

That said as accurate as the structure is, I cannot assure the strength or quality of given language, especially the word choice used in Part I, so if the sponsor desires improvements I understand that but for now to get us on the proper footing procedurally/constitutionally/etc I urge adoption of this amendment. Part II is mostly copy and paste at this point from the OP's text.

Subsequent amendments on the content and quality can come afterwards. I would note that my personal preference as much as I am against abortion, is also against empowering the federal government in this fashion.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2021, 01:33:11 AM »

I will object to the amendment.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2021, 05:26:09 AM »

I'm going to use my deputy PPT hat to start a vote on this.

Senators have 72 hours to vote as per the rules
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2021, 07:10:01 AM »

I can support this amendment. Aye