George County, MS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:23:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  George County, MS
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: George County, MS  (Read 897 times)
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2021, 01:51:14 PM »

Just randomly found out about George County, MS.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_County,_Mississippi

In 1968 George Wallace won in George County, MS with over 90% of the vote, his second best result in the country. In 1988 they gave David Duke 4%, which was the highest percentage he received. In that election they also gave a lot of support to Lenora Fulani, a black woman who was friends with Pat Buchanan and was accused of making prejudiced comments. It was also one of the two counties who opposed changing the state flag from the old one featuring the confederate battle flag.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 02:17:53 PM »

In that election they also gave a lot of support to Lenora Fulani, a black woman who was friends with Pat Buchanan and was accused of making prejudiced comments.

Fulani wasn't tight with Buchanan until they both became involved in the Reform Party in the 90s and she endorsed his 2000 presidential campaign from a standpoint of promoting electoral reform, although she later withdrew her endorsement on account of his reactionary beliefs and granted it instead to the Natural Law ticket. Her party at the time, New Alliance, was a pretty typical American leftist organization, albeit under the aegis of and considerably influenced by the controversial "Marxist-Freudian" therapist and activist Fred Newman, who was accused of cult-like leadership over the party, and affiliated with controversial Democratic figures such as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

In 1988, New Alliance's strongest demographic seems to have been the Black left, as well as a handful of western #populist Purple heart protest voters.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 04:12:48 PM »

It was exceptionally strong for Perot in 1992 for a Southern county, and the same year it gave 14.5% of the vote to "other" (not Perot). Does anyone know if that was also Fulani? Atlas doesn't specify. I wonder if there is some odd institution there that could explain the unusually high independent votes.

Fulani was and is mostly a weirdo, neither right- or left-wing, although she used left-wing rhetoric. For it's worth, she was also a big supporter of Bloomberg when he was NYC mayor.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 04:44:47 PM »

It's also illegal to possess alcohol in George County.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 04:46:18 PM »

How was it possible Fulani might have had such influence locally?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 05:47:08 PM »

It was exceptionally strong for Perot in 1992 for a Southern county, and the same year it gave 14.5% of the vote to "other" (not Perot). Does anyone know if that was also Fulani? Atlas doesn't specify. I wonder if there is some odd institution there that could explain the unusually high independent votes.

It's a scattering: more than half of the other vote went to Howard Phillips, the Taxpayers Party candidate, but Fulani got 2.5%, and John Hagelin, Andre Marrou, and Bo Gritz all got over 1%. George County was Fulani's best county and Marrou's eighth-best county (this despite Marrou finishing in seventh place in the county); it didn't place in Gritz's top ten because of his very strong performance in Mormon country. I imagine it was Phillips's best county, and probably it was high on the list for Hagelin, too.

It's unclear why the miscellaneous vote was so high in George County, but there has to be a story there.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 07:07:30 PM »

It was exceptionally strong for Perot in 1992 for a Southern county, and the same year it gave 14.5% of the vote to "other" (not Perot). Does anyone know if that was also Fulani? Atlas doesn't specify.

Fulani's best counties in 1992 according to Atlas Election Statistics:

George, MS  2.48%
Hinds, MS    1.88%
Escambia, AL 1.72%
Rio Blanco, CO  1.30%
Calhoun, AL  1.15%
Crittenden, AR   1.05%
Rock Island, IL   1.05%
Covington, AL   1.01%
Monroe, AL   0.93%
Passaic, NJ   0.90%
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 07:11:49 PM »

It's a scattering: more than half of the other vote went to Howard Phillips, the Taxpayers Party candidate, but Fulani got 2.5%, and John Hagelin, Andre Marrou, and Bo Gritz all got over 1%. George County was Fulani's best county and Marrou's eighth-best county (this despite Marrou finishing in seventh place in the county); it didn't place in Gritz's top ten because of his very strong performance in Mormon country. I imagine it was Phillips's best county, and probably it was high on the list for Hagelin, too.

It's unclear why the miscellaneous vote was so high in George County, but there has to be a story there.
Racist voters?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 08:36:45 PM »

It was also one of three counties in Mississippi to vote for Hoover over Smith.

So basically remind to never go there
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 12:10:59 PM »

Is it because they hated Catholics?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 01:11:09 PM »

Probably? They voted for democrats in every election around it. And it痴 not like Hoover had a massive appeal to three specific rural Mississippi counties
User2836
legitinsanelunatic22
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2021, 01:18:50 PM »

Probably? They voted for democrats in every election around it. And it痴 not like Hoover had a massive appeal to three specific rural Mississippi counties
That, and Prohibition.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2021, 01:27:33 PM »

Thanks!

Took a closer look into it and still having trouble finding anything especially unusual about the county (for being a mostly white, rural Deep South county). Lucedale looks very generic. The main institutions are a public hospital, a local prison, the county public schools, a Wal-Mart supercenter. The churches are pretty typical of the Deep South: Baptist, Assemblies of God, Church of Christ. There does appear to be a Mormon church in Lucedale, which is not common in the rural South, but it seems to be quite small and definitely trying to lay low (they don't have any signage at all if you look at it on Google Street View) so can't be a noticeable influence. No college or seminary or even a big factory or something that might make it a little bit unique.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 01:32:29 PM »

Knowing MS, it wouldn't surprise me if the county registrar simply messed up the numbers in a precinct or two and didn't correct the overall totals. It happens relatively often there.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 02:33:56 PM »

Knowing MS, it wouldn't surprise me if the county registrar simply messed up the numbers in a precinct or two and didn't correct the overall totals. It happens relatively often there.

This was my immediate reaction, but in both 1988 and 1992 "other" candidates (i.e. not Bush or Dukakis/Clinton or Perot) got over ten percent of the vote. It's hard for me to believe that Lenora Fulani getting over 2% in two successive elections was reporting error both times.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2021, 07:46:14 PM »

My guess is ballot design is weird in this county? It's hard to explain this otherwise.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2021, 09:21:44 PM »

My guess is ballot design is weird in this county? It's hard to explain this otherwise.

I would assume the high Fulani vote was black backlash to whatever racist currents caused the high vote share for David Duke. Does anyone know how prominent the KKK are in this area?
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 08:14:32 AM »

I would assume the high Fulani vote was black backlash to whatever racist currents caused the high vote share for David Duke. Does anyone know how prominent the KKK are in this area?

Doesn't help much with the high Ron Paul % though
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 12:25:04 PM »

In 1960, unpledged electors won George County. The unpledged electors cast their electoral votes for Harry Flood Byrd.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies