Opinion of The Atlanta Braves
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:02:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of The Atlanta Braves
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of the Braves?
FO

HO

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Opinion of The Atlanta Braves  (Read 392 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2021, 12:13:32 AM »

What is your opinion of the Southern Major League Baseball franchise?
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 12:16:34 AM »

Horrible
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 01:56:12 PM »

The Braves are a great franchise to be a fan of.  Although they've fallen short in the playoffs most of the time, they're one of the most consistently good teams in the majors, except for the short rebuilding period a few years ago.  Objectively, who would have expected them to win the NL East the last three years running?  Their teams also tend to be fun to watch and have likable players.

(Disclaimer: I'm a lifelong Braves fan, and currently have an Andruw Jones bobblehead and a ball signed by Jones and Eddie Perez on my fireplace mantel.)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 09:59:43 PM »

The Braves are a great franchise to be a fan of.  Although they've fallen short in the playoffs most of the time, they're one of the most consistently good teams in the majors, except for the short rebuilding period a few years ago.  Objectively, who would have expected them to win the NL East the last three years running?  Their teams also tend to be fun to watch and have likable players.

(Disclaimer: I'm a lifelong Braves fan, and currently have an Andruw Jones bobblehead and a ball signed by Jones and Eddie Perez on my fireplace mantel.)

That is true, Glavine, Smoltz, Dansby Swanson, Dale Murphy are all likeable players......

John Rocker, Greg Maddux, not so much...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 12:14:07 AM »

I'm not a Braves fan, but I've been to some games. I'd have gone to a lot more if you could still take MARTA to the ballpark, but even though my place in Sandy Springs was a lot closer to the new park, paying for parking (or else trying to find a way not to pay for parking) is just such a hassle. Something interesting about Atlanta is how everyone tries to make sure they know someone who lives by the park so that they don't have to pay.

I was actually at the last Braves home game at which there were spectators, the last game of the Braves' 2019 season. I got the tickets from work; they were in the lower deck behind the third-base dugout and they were definitely the best seats I've ever had for a postseason game. The Cardinals scored ten runs in the top of the first inning and the game was immediately a foregone conclusion, which was an interesting experience in its own way. I'm sure I would have been annoyed if I had been rooting for the Braves or if I had paid for the tickets, but since neither of those were the case I could just observe everyone else and wonder when they would finally give up and leave. (As it happened, people mostly stayed put through the end of the fifth inning, and the crowd was standing for Freddie Freeman when he came up with the bases loaded even though the Braves were still behind by ten.)

I have what I might describe as reverence for all sixteen pre-expansion teams, even the Dodgers, because they all have so much history associated with them. In the case of the Braves, I can talk about how Lew Burdette won the 1957 World Series and how Fred Haney blew the 1959 pennant by refusing to play Joe Adcock over Frank Torre until it was far too late. The names of Rico Carty and Davey Johnson and Ralph Garr and Darrell Evans mean something to me, and I've watched the Rick Camp game (or, at least, the final innings of the Rick Camp game), and I can name so many Braves of the '90s.

Speaking of the Braves of the '90s, and relevant to this forum, people may be interested to know that Mark Lemke is the second cousin twice removed of William Lemke, progressive congressman turned fascist presidential candidate turned congressman again.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 12:14:10 AM »

Racist name but actually.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 12:35:44 AM »

Arguably the worst fans in baseball, they routinely fail to sell out playoff games and before they were good in the 90s, they would regularly get just a few thousand fans in attendance for a regular season game. 

The "Braves" name is problematic.

Ted Turner is an ass.

easy HO vote
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 03:18:55 AM »

Has any Indian actually been offended by the team's name? Not saying that it is or isn't offensive, but us honkies have a tendency to be offended on behalf of POC who don't really care.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 06:20:08 AM »

Freddie Freeman is a pro but he isn't Chipper Jones
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 11:00:55 AM »

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 11:21:55 AM »

I don't follow the NL that passionately, but I tend to think somewhat fondly of the Braves. I will root for them over the Cardinals, Dodgers, Mets, Phillies, and Giants. I somewhat prefer the Cubs, Nationals, and most of the smaller market teams over them, though.
Proud Houstonian
Proud Houstianan
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 08:53:02 AM »

i,m not a baseball fan
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 10:16:04 AM »

Arguably the worst fans in baseball, they routinely fail to sell out playoff games and before they were good in the 90s, they would regularly get just a few thousand fans in attendance for a regular season game. 

Ted Turner is an ass.

easy HO vote

They left a perfectly good stadium to go out to the burbs into a new taxpayer funded stadium.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 11:02:25 PM »

Ted Turner is an ass.

easy HO vote

Atlanta is not a baseball city---it's a college football region. Even in their 90s playoff glory they would have no people there....
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 11:03:01 PM »

Ted Turner is an ass.

easy HO vote

They left a perfectly good stadium to go out to the burbs into a new taxpayer funded stadium.

Do you think they did that deliberately? Turner Field was not that bad.....
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2021, 11:50:50 PM »

Ted Turner is an ass.

easy HO vote

Do you think they did that deliberately? Turner Field was not that bad.....

It was like 20 years old, there was no reason for it at all.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies