Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:21:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How long will Chauvin be sentenced?
40+ years

20-39 years

10-19 years

<10 years

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)  (Read 42963 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: April 13, 2021, 12:46:45 AM »

Anyone worried about a mistrial here?

For cases like this it shows that there needs to be the option of a supermajority verdict if an absolute verdict can't be reached.

The question is what’s “cases like this” - trials of state agents?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 04:12:32 PM »

I don’t think a 2nd degree charge was appropriate- I doubt he intentionally killed Floyd- but I understand that the jury was under immense pressure, and I’m glad to see Chauvin held accountable.

I’m sure all business owners access America are breathing a sigh of relief.

Intent isn’t a necessary element of second-degree murder in Minnesota:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.19

“Whoever does either of the following is guilty of unintentional murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

(1) causes the death of a human being, without intent to effect the death of any person, while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense other than criminal sexual conduct in the first or second degree with force or violence or a drive-by shooting ...”

In this case the felony offense was assault.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 04:14:48 PM »

I don’t think a 2nd degree charge was appropriate- I doubt he intentionally killed Floyd- but I understand that the jury was under immense pressure, and I’m glad to see Chauvin held accountable.

I’m sure all business owners access America are breathing a sigh of relief.

The charge is 2nd degree unintentional murder. Specifically, that he killed him while committing assault with the intent to commit assault.

Then what’s 3rd degree murder? What’s 2nd degree manslaughter?

“ 609.195 MURDER IN THE THIRD DEGREE.
(a) Whoever, without intent to effect the death of any person, causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years.”

Basically seems like mens rea, plus second degree murder is more akin to felony murder (which I generally oppose, but it’s good to see it worked out in this case).
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 04:50:05 PM »

Tracey is a joke

Andyetyouparticipateinsociety.jpg
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 05:48:57 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2021, 11:04:36 PM by Unbeatable Titan Eva Copa »

Absolutely disgusting. George Floyd was not your magic negro.

What in the world does this mean?

People thanking George Floyd for waking America (white/nonblack people) up, or acting like the fact that his murderer is suffering legal consequences makes it overall a good thing that he was murdered.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 10:42:19 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2021, 01:21:34 PM by Unbeatable Titan Eva Copa »

Since much of the left and Atlas seems to think Bill Clinton is some closet racist who signed the 1994 crime bill to make the police kill more black men, I'd just like to point out he put out a very nice statement on today's verdict.

I mean, having the right position on one of the most blatantly obvious cases of police brutality in God knows how long, where even the officer’s own police force threw them under the bus, is not really great evidence against a history of reinforcing an unjust and racist criminal justice system.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 02:34:55 PM »

What was that “more information will come out that will give you peace of mind” thing from Chauvin?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 03:07:46 PM »

What’s his chance of parole?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies