Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:15:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25
Poll
Question: How long will Chauvin be sentenced?
40+ years

20-39 years

10-19 years

<10 years

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)  (Read 42911 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: April 26, 2021, 02:02:14 PM »

And fuzzy? By put up or shut up, we really mean shut up, because you can't put up. So shut up.

Look! There's a foreign looking Cloud you can yell at!
We all know he won’t respond and this just going to be another episode of “Fuzzy throws out an accusation, someone refutes his point, and he leaves the thread without responding”  

That’s better than a perpetual back and forth that goes nowhere and just creates huge quote chains that clog up the thread.
While quote chains are annoying I disagree that a perpetual back and forth that goes nowhere is worse because that at least shows he legitimately believes in what he says as opposed to his current style which is the posting equivalent of farting in a crowded elevator and running out
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #526 on: April 26, 2021, 05:06:58 PM »

I just reset the poll to go along with the sentencing of Chauvin, which will take place June 16th.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #527 on: April 26, 2021, 05:43:52 PM »

I just reset the poll to go along with the sentencing of Chauvin, which will take place June 16th.

Hmm, I don't see a way to vote in it.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #528 on: April 26, 2021, 07:21:07 PM »

Hmm, I don't see a way to vote in it.

Sorry about that, fixed it.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #529 on: April 26, 2021, 10:53:47 PM »

Violent looters are not "peaceful protesters," and nobody cares about what Christians think of this subject.

Oh come-on John Dule.
It's the usual lines of Scripture, accompanied with a small pinch (more like a handful) of HATE.

Hate?

I'm not the one calling for pigs in a blanket to be fried like bacon.

I'm not the one who's burning Federal courthouses.

You're not the one calling THOSE folks out.

Perhaps you're a tad confused. 

Perhaps you suck.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #530 on: April 27, 2021, 11:06:28 AM »

Wait, Fuzzy is throwing up pro-Chauvin conspiracy theories now? Huh. I wish I could say I'm surprised.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #531 on: April 27, 2021, 11:26:03 AM »

Make an example of him, he deserves the max for his callous brutality.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #532 on: April 27, 2021, 12:18:22 PM »

This is one ten-second clip from six years ago of about eight people.  Using it to generalize about a movement of tens of millions of people six years later is pure hackery.

This never happened.  Some idiots in Portland set a fire within the grounds of a courthouse, they did not commit arson on the courthouse.  The idiots in Portland are antifa and black bloc anarchists using BLM as a shield, they are not actually BLM.  Take it from someone who lives in the PNW -- we all hate them.

You should apologize for being wrong.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #533 on: April 27, 2021, 01:06:23 PM »

It really doesn't matter due to an appeal, he will get at Least 10 and not more than 40 and that's on Appeal

Defense is challenging 3rd Degree murder and Appeal judges will reduce his sentence due to fact Floyd contributed to his own demise
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #534 on: April 27, 2021, 01:43:45 PM »

It really doesn't matter due to an appeal, he will get at Least 10 and not more than 40 and that's on Appeal

Defense is challenging 3rd Degree murder and Appeal judges will reduce his sentence due to fact Floyd contributed to his own demise
That’s not how appeals work.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #535 on: May 01, 2021, 04:36:08 PM »

No.

Sentencing an individual defendant should never be about making an example of a defendant.  Never.  Criminal penalties should be sufficient to deter others, but they should not be handed out to make an example of someone.

Is Derek Chauvin's more callously brutal than the shooting of 3 year old Mekhi James in Chicago?  Or 1 year old Darrell Gardner in Brooklyn?  When we find their killers should we make national examples of them,, and then sentence them to Life Imprisonment (even if they turn out to be under age 18)?  Were the actions of whomever killed these infants not callously brutal?

Chauvin deserves to be sentenced to whatever his conviction merits.  Aggravating and mitigating factors ought to be considered, and the judge ought to sentence him as the facts say.  He should not, however, receive "the max" just because lawless mobs demand it and allow the implicit threat of violence in the event that the sentence is not sufficient for the lawless mob.  (Indeed, mobs who engage in violence at the result of this sentencing, or any other, should be met with the full force of law enforcement at the FIRST act of illegal violence, but that's another story.)  Derek Chauvin has the right to be judged and sentenced in the same manner as any other defendant.  Those of you who do not believe that are unfit for public office, and I hope that those of you that believe this are never elected or appointed to any political or governmental position in America.  Making an example out of people is a wrong concept, period.

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #536 on: May 01, 2021, 05:53:10 PM »

No.

Sentencing an individual defendant should never be about making an example of a defendant.  Never.  Criminal penalties should be sufficient to deter others, but they should not be handed out to make an example of someone.

Is Derek Chauvin's more callously brutal than the shooting of 3 year old Mekhi James in Chicago?  Or 1 year old Darrell Gardner in Brooklyn?  When we find their killers should we make national examples of them,, and then sentence them to Life Imprisonment (even if they turn out to be under age 18)?  Were the actions of whomever killed these infants not callously brutal?

Chauvin deserves to be sentenced to whatever his conviction merits.  Aggravating and mitigating factors ought to be considered, and the judge ought to sentence him as the facts say.  He should not, however, receive "the max" just because lawless mobs demand it and allow the implicit threat of violence in the event that the sentence is not sufficient for the lawless mob.  (Indeed, mobs who engage in violence at the result of this sentencing, or any other, should be met with the full force of law enforcement at the FIRST act of illegal violence, but that's another story.)  Derek Chauvin has the right to be judged and sentenced in the same manner as any other defendant.  Those of you who do not believe that are unfit for public office, and I hope that those of you that believe this are never elected or appointed to any political or governmental position in America.  Making an example out of people is a wrong concept, period.

Couldn’t agree more!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #537 on: May 01, 2021, 06:06:27 PM »

No.

Couldn’t agree more!
Thing is though there are A TON of aggravating factors that could apply to increase Chauvin's sentence. Here's a full list I saw someone compile of all applicable factors under Minnesota law.

- crime was committed with three or more active co-participants

- crime was committed in presence of children, and the child(ren) witnessed the crime

- defendant acted as a police officer and used his police license to facilitate the crime

- defendant displayed particular cruelty (knowing victim was handcuffed and in physical and emotional distress)

- defendant knew or should have known that Floyd was unable to breathe and then went unconscious

- defendant committed crime despite pleas from eyewitnesses that he was killing the victim

- defendant continued with the crime after victim went unconscious

- defendant showed disregard for Floyd's life

- defendant impeded efforts by others to provide medical assistance
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #538 on: May 01, 2021, 11:56:26 PM »

No.

Couldn’t agree more!
Thing is though there are A TON of aggravating factors that could apply to increase Chauvin's sentence. Here's a full list I saw someone compile of all applicable factors under Minnesota law.

- crime was committed in presence of children, and the child(ren) witnessed the crime

- defendant acted as a police officer and used his police license to facilitate the crime

- defendant displayed particular cruelty (knowing victim was handcuffed and in physical and emotional distress)

- defendant knew or should have known that Floyd was unable to breathe and then went unconscious

- defendant committed crime despite pleas from eyewitnesses that he was killing the victim

Sure, but you can give him 10-19 years just on the merits of the case.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #539 on: May 01, 2021, 11:59:37 PM »

No.

Couldn’t agree more!

Sure, but you can give him 10-19 years just on the merits of the case.

Which is pretty mild considering the max sentence is 40. Based on the above he could very well get closer to that than 10.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #540 on: May 02, 2021, 12:07:29 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2021, 10:58:39 AM by GP270watch »

Our justice system in part is in place to protect the public, so judges pass harsh sentences based on the shocking or brutal nature of a crime all the time. Chauvin's brutal callousness certainly meets the requirement to justify this sentiment.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #541 on: May 02, 2021, 12:08:27 AM »

I'm not sure how Minnesota law expects those aggravating factors to be counted by the judge, but I think it would be disappointing to see anything less than 25 years. I don't really see any mitigating factors at work in this trial. It would've been more interesting if his fellow co-defendants had said something. Their time in court is after the sentencing, so I'm not expecting anything there.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #542 on: May 02, 2021, 12:29:32 AM »

One thing I will say is that 10-15 for Chauvin is probably more "punishing" than a normal person recieving this sentence as he has to spend it all in solitary in all likelyhood.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #543 on: May 02, 2021, 01:15:35 AM »

One thing I will say is that 10-15 for Chauvin is probably more "punishing" than a normal person recieving this sentence as he has to spend it all in solitary in all likelyhood.

The problem is that he hits so many of the aggravating factors. Anything near the sentencing guidelines would be an insult to justice. He doesn't have any mitigating factors. He showed no remorse or sympathy to the victim or his family. I'm realistic. I don't expect anything close to the 40-year maximum, despite what I personally think he deserves. The considerable list of aggravating factors were already mentioned above.

The thing is that he could've gotten off on a far lesser charge if he'd showed remorse or sympathy after the fact. It could've potentially taken the 2nd degree murder charge off the table. Every image I saw had him looking smug, arrogant, and defiant.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #544 on: May 02, 2021, 02:57:07 AM »

The fact that Chauvin committed his crime while in uniform and on the job should lead to a much tougher sentence than that for a typical murderer.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #545 on: May 02, 2021, 08:28:28 AM »

Aren't there prisons/prison modules for "low level/low security" offenders? The kinds that are fairly chill (by prison standards) and have people in jail for stuff like political corruption, low level drug dealing, and the kinds of people that are well on their track to reinsertation? (and where beating up Chauvin would set them back by an amount that they can't afford, so they'll restrict themselves).

Like I can think of a ton of other criminals who would be high profile and at similar risks, like say corrupt polticians, famous people and stuff.

To be honest a 10-15 year solitary punishment should qualify as "cruel and unusual punishment".
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #546 on: May 02, 2021, 12:17:22 PM »

Aren't there prisons/prison modules for "low level/low security" offenders? The kinds that are fairly chill (by prison standards) and have people in jail for stuff like political corruption, low level drug dealing, and the kinds of people that are well on their track to reinsertation? (and where beating up Chauvin would set them back by an amount that they can't afford, so they'll restrict themselves).

Like I can think of a ton of other criminals who would be high profile and at similar risks, like say corrupt polticians, famous people and stuff.

To be honest a 10-15 year solitary punishment should qualify as "cruel and unusual punishment".

Any time you put a cop behind bars, they either need to be put in de facto solitary or a special cell bloc housing only other cops convicted of crimes.  In a high-profile, racially-charged case like this, putting Chauvin in general population would arguably be a de facto be a death sentence.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #547 on: May 02, 2021, 12:22:27 PM »

Any time you put a cop behind bars, they either need to be put in de facto solitary or a special cell bloc housing only other cops convicted of crimes.  In a high-profile, racially-charged case like this, putting Chauvin in general population would arguably be a de facto be a death sentence.

Yeah I know cops in prison need special protection (though not necessarily due to the racially-charged nature; aren't there literal neonazi gangs in prison? They neonazis will hace Chauvin too, though not because of his views on race obviously Tongue )

However solitary is way too much. Indeed my proposal was a special cell bloc of the lowest tier criminals (I guess if there is a "cops" bloc that works too of course).

But solitary confinement as the rule, for literally a decade is definitely cruel and unusual in my mind, no matter what. If Chauvin's circumstances don't allow for him to be placed under any sort of low security group (which I doubt; there are always a handful of prisoners who are on "good behaviour") I am almost tempted to say he should be commuted to 25 years of home arrest, or forced community labour or something; though more realistically he should be given other sorts of perks to counter being in de facto solitary (better amenities? Longer periods outside compared to regular prisoners?).
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #548 on: May 08, 2021, 12:19:41 AM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/derek-chauvin-three-other-ex-minneapolis-police-officers-indicted-federal-n1266671

Sure most of us have already heard about this by now.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #549 on: May 08, 2021, 01:22:29 AM »

This is one ten-second clip from six years ago of about eight people.  Using it to generalize about a movement of tens of millions of people six years later is pure hackery.

This never happened.  Some idiots in Portland set a fire within the grounds of a courthouse, they did not commit arson on the courthouse.  The idiots in Portland are antifa and black bloc anarchists using BLM as a shield, they are not actually BLM.  Take it from someone who lives in the PNW -- we all hate them.

You should apologize for being wrong.

He never will. He is utterly incapable of independent thought.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies