Confirmation Hearing: Devout Centrist for Secretary of State (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:47:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Devout Centrist for Secretary of State (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Devout Centrist for Secretary of State (Confirmed)  (Read 1361 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2021, 11:37:30 PM »
« edited: March 14, 2021, 12:12:00 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Quote from:  Executive Order 52-003
EXECUTIVE ORDER
to make provisions for the diligent conduct of foreign affairs

Devout Centrist, of the state of Arizona, is hereby nominated to be Secretary of State

I. C. SESTAC PRAESES ATLASIENSIS LII

Senators have up to 72 hours to question the nominee.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 01:02:53 AM »

I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to President Sestak for this nomination. It is an honor and a privilege to be considered for the position of Secretary of State.

Our great nation faces a number of tough challenges abroad. Though the Second Korean War concluded over three years ago, the reputation of our Republic has yet to fully recover from the diplomatic incident that sparked the war. I am fully prepared to use my vast expertise from my tenure in the Senate to restore goodwill and positive relations abroad. I will support a foreign policy that endorses internationalism and promotes multilateralism. We will work with the global community to bring about change and curb the influence of dictatorial regimes. However, I am a firm proponent of non-intervention. I see no reason to engage our nation in foreign conflicts unless our Republic is attacked.

I submit myself to the Senate's questions.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 01:06:45 AM »

What will be the administration's policy towards China?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 11:16:09 AM »

The Administration supports closer cooperation between the People's Republic of China and Atlasia where possible. Where common values intersect, we are willing to work with Mr. Jingping to promote peace and stability.

However, this Administration will not back down from defending human rights and fostering democracy. We condemn, in the strongest terms, the treatment of protestors in Hong Kong. We support the inherent right of the people of Taiwan to self-determination. We strongly condemn the cultural genocide of ethnic minorities and of the Uighur people. On these issues, this Administration will never abdicate its responsibility to protect the freedom and dignity of every human being.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 01:07:01 PM »

The Administration supports closer cooperation between the People's Republic of China and Atlasia where possible. Where common values intersect, we are willing to work with Mr. Jingping to promote peace and stability.

However, this Administration will not back down from defending human rights and fostering democracy. We condemn, in the strongest terms, the treatment of protestors in Hong Kong. We support the inherent right of the people of Taiwan to self-determination. We strongly condemn the cultural genocide of ethnic minorities and of the Uighur people. On these issues, this Administration will never abdicate its responsibility to protect the freedom and dignity of every human being.

What is the administrations opinion on the Currency Manipulation Resolution?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 01:08:03 PM »

Also the Hong Kong Solidarity and Safe Harbor Act?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 02:07:56 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2021, 03:15:33 PM by Devout Centrist »

What is the administrations opinion on the Currency Manipulation Resolution?
We do not feel it is necessary to use the language of currency manipulation at this time. A broader condemnation of unfair trade practices and territorial encroachment in the South China Seas would be more appropriate.

This has the full support of the Administration. We appreciate any and all efforts to protect democratic activists through multilateral and peaceful means. We will do our utmost to welcome Hong Kong asylum seekers with open arms.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 02:53:58 AM »

Congrats on the nomination- this is a really good appointment.

A few questions,

1.) What will be the administration's policy towards Saudi Arabia?

2.) What do you think is the biggest challenge that the coronavirus poses to Atlasia's foreign policy?

3.) Where does climate change sit within the foreign policy agenda, what new policies will the administration be introducing and how will you try and make sure it's included in more of our foreign policy?

4.) What efforts will the administration be taking to protect and support women's rights and LGBT rights across the world?

5.) More generally how active do you hope to be as Secretary of State and do you have any plans to change or improve how the office works?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 01:24:34 PM »

1.) What will be the administration's policy towards Saudi Arabia?

The Administration recognizes the value of our past bilateral agreements with Saudi Arabia. However, we are unwilling to undertake further agreements or allow additional armament procurement without clear, decisive action from the Kingdom on human rights and democratic reform. Satisfying these preconditions is crucial to future cooperation.

2.) What do you think is the biggest challenge that the coronavirus poses to Atlasia's foreign policy?

I think the COVID-19 pandemic has posed a significant threat to multilateral negotiations and international cooperation. Many nations lack the capacity to quickly vaccinate their own citizens against the virus. There's definitely a risk for unequal distribution of COVID-19 inoculations as they become available. This could damage our ability to negotiate relationships abroad if we do not act to reduce the disparity. I hope that the Congress will act to make spare doses of existing vaccines available for foreign aid shipments abroad as soon as possible.

3.) Where does climate change sit within the foreign policy agenda, what new policies will the administration be introducing and how will you try and make sure it's included in more of our foreign policy?

Climate change presents an existential threat to human life on this planet and as such, it is a top priority for this Administration's foreign policy. We greatly appreciate past international agreements negotiated to reduce carbon dioxide emissions, but more work is needed. We believe that the most effective way to address climate change is through multilateral, reciprocal negotiations. In our diplomatic agreements, we will aim to help developing countries achieve economic  and social progress without increasing carbon emissions. We can use our technological advantage to help developing nations implement renewable energy quickly and effectively. Using multilateral and bilateral agreements, we will work to export solar and wind technologies to developing nations. This will help these countries supplant fossil fuel as their primary energy source.

Carbon emissions can also be reduced through changes to global supply chains. We will work with our allies and the international community to innovate new strategies that will reduce carbon emissions in the most intensive industries; for example, widespread implementation of low carbon techniques in the production of concrete could shrink global carbon emissions substantially. By reducing C02 emissions at this point in the supply chain, we can effectively reduce overall emissions.

Additionally, it may be more economically feasible to implement these technologies with the support of the international community. I believe we should work to create a global climate change bank, one that will allow developing nations to receive grants or ultra-low interest loans for green energy production. Every coal or gas powered facility that is replaced by renewables will bring the global community closer to net zero carbon emissions.

Finally, a new climate summit will be necessary to implement substantial and binding reductions in carbon dioxide emissions. A new international compact will increase the drop in global carbon emissions. This administration is willing to negotiate technology sharing as a part of a new climate summit and will aim to make carbon reducing technology fully available to the global community.

4.) What efforts will the administration be taking to protect and support women's rights and LGBT rights across the world?

Women's rights are human rights; Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual rights are human rights; Trans rights are human rights. This Administration will make these principles a top priority in all bilateral and multilateral agreements. In a global sense, we can promote these rights through international agreements and additional UN resolutions.

However, we recognize that these agreements do not go far enough; therefore, women's and LGBT rights will be a critical component of any agreement negotiated with our allies and our partners in the global community. Certain agreements, such as armament procurement, defense agreements, entry into NATO, and foreign aid shipments, will include important provisions on the advancement of women's rights and LGBT rights. Further aid will be directly tied to progress on these cornerstone rights. By forging political consensus, we can work to influence public perception around the world.

5.) More generally how active do you hope to be as Secretary of State and do you have any plans to change or improve how the office works?

I will take an active role in the conduct of this Administration's foreign policy. I think we can act quickly to address a wide array of foreign policy issues facing our Republic. In terms of how the office itself works, I plan to embrace more open  and frequent communication with the people of Atlasia. Foreign policy can often appear to be quite complicated; I hope to be as direct as possible in press releases and discussions with the Congress and the President.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 01:33:29 PM »

What will be the administration’s policy on the ongoing events in Myanmar?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 07:24:07 PM »

What will the nominee do to improve Atlasia's relationship with New Zealand? It would have been cool if I'd done something about this but I didn't get around to it. I do have a lot of respect for the nominee and don't see any reason not to support confirmation.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 07:45:59 PM »

What will be the administration’s policy on the ongoing events in Myanmar?
We are closely monitoring the situation in Myanmar. The blatantly undemocratic coup orchestrated by elements of the Tatmadaw is a massive setback to our bilateral relationship. We will use appropriate diplomatic channels and sanctions to advocate for the restoration of democracy in Myanmar and the release of political prisoners.

The Administration is also following the crisis in Rakhine State; we strongly condemn genocidal activities and atrocities directed towards the Rohingya community in Myanmar.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 07:55:54 PM »

What will the nominee do to improve Atlasia's relationship with New Zealand? It would have been cool if I'd done something about this but I didn't get around to it. I do have a lot of respect for the nominee and don't see any reason not to support confirmation.
New Zealand is a valued ally and friend of Atlasia. I will work to negotiate additional bilateral trade agreements and partnerships with the Commonwealth. In particular, it may be possible to negotiate a bilateral free trade zone in the coming years.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 05:27:23 PM »

Thank you for the comprehensive and detailed answers; I was guilty of a trigger finger and realized I'd bombarded you with questions, so I appreciate it.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 01:18:09 AM »

Thank you for the comprehensive and detailed answers; I was guilty of a trigger finger and realized I'd bombarded you with questions, so I appreciate it.

You're good! I appreciate your thoughtful questions.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2021, 01:41:05 PM »

More questions are always a good thing in this business.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2021, 01:41:46 PM »

I motion for a Final Vote, Senators have 24 hours to object.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2021, 03:37:13 PM »

I object for additional time.

I'd wish to pose these questions to the nominee:

How do the laws of war apply to a conflict?

Is it strictly limited to self-defense that Atlasia will engage in war?

What is the role of the Secretary of State in engaging other nations in diplomacy?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2021, 06:49:15 PM »

You are lucky I had to go to work. Tongue
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2021, 12:55:38 PM »

I'd wish to pose these questions to the nominee:

How do the laws of war apply to a conflict?

This Administration will seek to follow rules of engagement that exceed existing international standards. In every case, we shall avoid targeting structures or facilities that house or provide shelter to noncombatants. Additionally, we will follow stringent guidelines for the treatment of enemy POWs and other combatants. This applies to non-state actors as well.

Is it strictly limited to self-defense that Atlasia will engage in war?

Yes. We are committed to peace unless the Republic or one of our NATO allies (in accordance with Article 5) is attacked by a foreign power. We will make no attempt to start an offensive war.

What is the role of the Secretary of State in engaging other nations in diplomacy?

The Secretary of State serves as the President's chief diplomat on the international stage. They are responsible for carrying out diplomatic and foreign policy related duties as instructed by the Commander in Chief. As Secretary of State, I will work to create positive and open channels of communication between the Republic of Atlasia and the International community.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2021, 06:46:57 PM »

Does the Senator desire further feedback or can the vote be started?
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2021, 11:40:42 AM »

Does the Senator desire further feedback or can the vote be started?

I am satisfied. Thank you for your time on this Mr. Devout Centrist.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2021, 12:54:39 PM »

A vote is now open, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2021, 01:05:45 PM »

Aye
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom