SENATE BILL: Congress Should Serve The People Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:09:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Congress Should Serve The People Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Congress Should Serve The People Act (Passed)  (Read 3484 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2021, 10:23:12 AM »

I motion for a final vote, Senators have 24 hours to object.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2021, 04:36:03 PM »

So what was the answer to my question about pay?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2021, 06:32:26 PM »

I have no issue moving to a final vote, and I look forward to voting Nay on this. There is no justification for reducing congressional pay and it is not likely these bronze busts will provide the valuable decor worthy of our Capitol building.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2021, 11:50:54 AM »

So what was the answer to my question about pay?

I gave a partial answer on page two.

Basically TNF did this to make a statement back in the day, sort of an extreme redistributionist statement of cut the pay of the rich Congress people and use it to fund statues of the proletariat champions.

The simplest answer is that pre-reset it probably didn't exist at all and post reset it is by statute the same as RL unless someone else changed it.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2021, 11:52:03 AM »

I have no issue moving to a final vote, and I look forward to voting Nay on this. There is no justification for reducing congressional pay and it is not likely these bronze busts will provide the valuable decor worthy of our Capitol building.

You could have had any material you wanted by offering an amendment. Tongue I would not have objected.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2021, 01:21:39 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2021, 01:25:40 PM by SevenEleven »

You could have had any material you wanted by offering an amendment. Tongue I would not have objected.

It wouldn't make a difference, I am not voting to reduce congressional pay, if anything it should be increased. This bill seeks to limit those who can serve to the incredibly wealthy and I cannot reconcile that with my own beliefs.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2021, 06:21:26 PM »

It wouldn't make a difference, I am not voting to reduce congressional pay, if anything it should be increased. This bill seeks to limit those who can serve to the incredibly wealthy and I cannot reconcile that with my own beliefs.

From a quick search, the median wage in the US for individuals seems to be 34k and even the average is 51k (and it was 28 and 44k in 2014, which this bill retroactively adjusts to inflation)

This is a salary cut, but this won't have Senators suddenly on food stamps or anything Tongue
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2021, 06:37:28 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2021, 06:44:52 PM by Talleyrand »

I concur with SevenEleven. $50,000 is not enough to support the maintenance of two separate residences for members of Congress, especially those who represent Fremont. In addition, I find the idea of placing busts of Atlasians in the Capitol Building quite distasteful.

From a quick search, the median wage in the US for individuals seems to be 34k and even the average is 51k (and it was 28 and 44k in 2014, which this bill retroactively adjusts to inflation)

This is a salary cut, but this won't have Senators suddenly on food stamps or anything Tongue

Then we should focus on raising the average salary for the median Atlasian. I wonder if it's higher than the U.S. median in our alternative universe (given the massive differences in legislation).
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2021, 06:40:02 PM »

I don't care what the median income is. The people's representatives deserve fair compensation for their difficult work that requires lots of travel while living away from their family in a city with a high cost of living.

This bill's supporters should try living in DC on 50k a year and let me know how it goes.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2021, 07:28:00 PM »

I take the slightest strange that we shouldn’t legislate on the weird gap that involves ourself; none of us get paid to do this (can you imagine the chaos if we did?) and we have no NPC congress so why do we need pay for something that doesn’t exist?

Not sure how I’ll be voting but just wanted to throw this in.

I’m not sure if Pericles was formally objecting to a final vote?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2021, 01:18:30 PM »

Its actually a valid point and a proletarian angle that TNF didn't consider very well at that time.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2021, 01:21:38 PM »

I take the slightest strange that we shouldn’t legislate on the weird gap that involves ourself; none of us get paid to do this (can you imagine the chaos if we did?) and we have no NPC congress so why do we need pay for something that doesn’t exist?

I take it you mean "shouldn't legislate on the weird gap of nonplayable space that involves ourselves"?  We do obviously legislate on playable aspects that involve ourselves, no?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2021, 01:23:01 PM »

You the funny thing is, I bet you never expected the underlying structure of this bill (the pay cut) to be what most likely kills it. Tongue
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2021, 04:05:18 PM »

You the funny thing is, I bet you never expected the underlying structure of this bill (the pay cut) to be what most likely kills it. Tongue

lmao not at all; of all the things that could have killed this I didn't expect cost to be it.

Next time I guess I am making sure to keep the Lenin statues as a reminder to the rich DC elitists! /s
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2021, 04:18:59 PM »

lmao not at all; of all the things that could have killed this I didn't expect cost to be it.

Next time I guess I am making sure to keep the Lenin statues as a reminder to the rich DC elitists! /s

Ironically if it is pay that kills this, it will because Sev out proletariated TNF on the impact of cutting pay versus causing DC to be dominated by rich elitists.

Its a double edged sword in that sense.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2021, 02:06:04 AM »

I take it you mean "shouldn't legislate on the weird gap of nonplayable space that involves ourselves"?  We do obviously legislate on playable aspects that involve ourselves, no?

Yes-sorry my post was slightly confused. None of us get paid & while I appreciate the arguments I think it's easiest just to keep out of this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2021, 11:07:29 AM »

I contacted Pericles to see if he has any follow ups.

Assuming everything is good, I will probably start the vote later this evening from my phone.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2021, 01:58:51 PM »

Actually if Congressional pay is not currently decided independently, then we should work on an amendment so it is decided that way.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2021, 06:04:07 PM »

Actually if Congressional pay is not currently decided independently, then we should work on an amendment so it is decided that way.

How would that function? Congress is in charge of appropriations no?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2021, 09:39:58 AM »

Another relevant question would be whether or not such pay reform would be best addressed as a separate bill? There are arguments in both directions, for one we have an opportunity here but on the other the other portions could hinder passage of such relative to a standalone measure. Just something to consider.

I PMed Pericles for a response to my follow up.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2021, 05:09:56 AM »

Another relevant question would be whether or not such pay reform would be best addressed as a separate bill? There are arguments in both directions, for one we have an opportunity here but on the other the other portions could hinder passage of such relative to a standalone measure. Just something to consider.

I PMed Pericles for a response to my follow up.

Very well, and as a gesture of solidarity with those suffering during the Covid pandemic, I'm willing to prevent any independent commission in a future bill from increasing congressional pay for at least a year.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2021, 09:46:04 AM »

I think we addressed all the points that stopped a final vote before. I motion for a final vote, Senators have 24 hours to object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2021, 10:02:15 AM »

A final vote is now open on this legislation, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2021, 09:44:02 PM »

Aye
Blair