SENATE BILL: Congress Should Serve The People Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:56:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Congress Should Serve The People Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Congress Should Serve The People Act (Passed)  (Read 3472 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2021, 01:28:51 AM »
« edited: April 14, 2021, 10:55:14 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

SENATE BILL
To clean up the Congress and make it actually serve the people

Be it enacted by the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia assembled
Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Congress Should Serve The People Act.

Section 2. Congressional Pay Reform

1. The salary for members of Congress shall be reduced from its present $174,000 per year to that of the average median income for a skilled worker. Henceforth, the salary for all members of Congress shall be $50,000 per year, adjusted annually and retroactively since 2014 to account for increases in the average median income for skilled labor in the Republic of Atlasia.

2. Henceforth, Congressional leadership shall no longer be paid a salary higher than what is paid to rank-and-file members of Congress

3. Henceforth, no Congressman shall be permitted to claim an income outside that of income earned as a Congressman, until his or her term has expired.

Section 3. The Congressional Cafeteria

1. The Congressional cafeteria shall henceforth only procure materials from worker owned and managed cooperatives. In cases where a worker owned or managed cooperative does not produce materials needed by the Congressional cafeteria, the procurement of materials must be from a company that uses union labor.

2. All renovations to the Congressional cafeteria, or to any part of the chambers of Congress, shall henceforth be made with union labor.

Section 4. Honoring the Past

1. Congress shall utilize excess funds gained as a result of the reduction in Congressional salaries to contract union sculptors to create a series of busts for display in the House and Senate foyers. These busts shall honor those who fought to create this country and further expand its promises of freedom and equality, and whose philosophy, ideas and leadership have  shaped and will continue to influence Atlasian political thought.

2. The busts shall be of the following persons:

1) George Washington
2) Thomas Jefferson
3) Thomas Paine
4) Frederick Douglass
5) Harriet Tubman
6)  John Brown
7) Abraham Lincoln
Cool Susan B. Anthony
9) Elizabeth Cady Stanton
10) Mary Harris 'Mother' Jones
11) Eugene Debs
12)  Walter Reuther
13) Cesar Chavez
14) WEB Dubois
15) Martin Luther King, Jr.
16) John Lewis
17) Nym90
18) Adam Griffin
19) AHDuke99
20)  Truman
21) Sestak
22) Windjammer
23) Blair
24) Pericles
25) PiT
26) Lumine
27) Tmthforu94
28) TJ in Cleve

Sponsor: NC Yankee
Senate Designation: SB29:01
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 01:36:48 AM »

This was taken from the bill Tack introduced a couple days before for us to play with in the next session. His text was minimally altered from TNF's 2014 text. I have made substantial changes to the list of busts, removed the myopic focus on class struggle in favor of a more broad scope of fighters for equality and freedom that is also much more diverse and much more Atlasia centric.

For the Atlasians, I sought to include a larger and more diverse list, that does incorporate people like Blair and Truman who were left off by Tack and were vital to 2015 situation, people like Lumine whose contributions are too many to list and of course and likewise for Tmthforu94. I through TJ in for his legal contributions, longevity of presence and to add some balance. I included PiT because without him many Atlasians including myself would never have joined this game, his role in the 2015 situation and his service as VP and on the Judicial Branch.

There are others that could be added but I generally tried to avoid just throwing people on there for the heck of it. I really wanted to put Cincinattus on there as well as Cris and many others but I didn't have a good feel for an upper limit on the total number.

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 09:03:09 AM »

Of all people that could have picked up this meme bill, I didn't expect it to be Yankee Tongue

Anyways as I said on the Legislation introduction thread I introduced this less because I 100% agree with it and more as a fun "farewell" bill for you to debate. Tongue
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 10:11:05 AM »

It's disturbing to put some crooks who has actively fought against freedom for the past 3 years like Crooked Truman, Griffin, and Sestak over true servants of the people such as myself and YT!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 10:55:53 AM »

It's disturbing to put some crooks who has actively fought against freedom for the past 3 years like Crooked Truman, Griffin, and Sestak over true servants of the people such as myself and YT!

Sestak and Griffin were on the Tack list already. If I purged Laborites from this text, they would be added back in.

At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 10:58:00 AM »

Sestak and Griffin were on the Tack list already. If I purged Laborites from this text, they would be added back in.

I'm fine with them being in if YT and myself are added. That's a good moderate compromise since only 1 of the people added so far (TJ) have voted for YT in the recent presidential election.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 11:06:35 AM »

Quote from: Amendment 29:01 by NC Yankee
SENATE BILL

Section 1. Title

1. The salary for members of Congress shall be reduced from its present $174,000 per year to that of the average median income for a skilled worker. Henceforth, the salary for all members of Congress shall be $50,000 per year, adjusted annually and retroactively since 2014 to account for increases in the average median income for skilled labor in the Republic of Atlasia.

2. Henceforth, Congressional leadership shall no longer be paid a salary higher than what is paid to rank-and-file members of Congress

3. Henceforth, no Congressman shall be permitted to claim an income outside that of income earned as a Congressman, until his or her term has expired.

1. The Congressional cafeteria shall henceforth only procure materials from worker owned and managed cooperatives. In cases where a worker owned or managed cooperative does not produce materials needed by the Congressional cafeteria, the procurement of materials must be from a company that uses union labor.

2. All renovations to the Congressional cafeteria, or to any part of the chambers of Congress, shall henceforth be made with union labor.

1. Congress shall utilize excess funds gained as a result of the reduction in Congressional salaries to contract union sculptors to create a series of busts for display in the House and Senate foyers. These busts shall honor those who fought to create this country and further expand its promises of freedom and equality, and whose philosophy, ideas and leadership have  shaped and will continue to influence Atlasian political thought.

1) George Washington
2) Thomas Jefferson
3) Thomas Paine
4) Frederick Douglass
5) Harriet Tubman
6)  John Brown
7) Abraham Lincoln
Cool Susan B. Anthony
11) Eugene Debs
12)  Walter Reuther
13) Cesar Chavez
14) WEB Dubois
16) John Lewis
17) Nym90
18) Adam Griffin
19) AHDuke99
20)  Truman
21) Sestak
22) Windjammer
23) Blair
24) Pericles
25) PiT
26) Lumine
27) Tmthforu94
28) TJ in Cleve
29) Cris
30) Cincinattus
31) Classic Conservative

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 11:07:07 AM »

Quote from: Amendment 29:01 by NC Yankee
SENATE BILL

Section 1. Title

1. Congress shall utilize excess funds gained as a result of the reduction in Congressional salaries to contract union sculptors to create a series of busts for display in the House and Senate foyers. These busts shall honor those who fought to create this country and further expand its promises of freedom and equality, and whose philosophy, ideas and leadership have  shaped and will continue to influence Atlasian political thought.

1) George Washington
2) Thomas Jefferson
3) Thomas Paine
4) Frederick Douglass
5) Harriet Tubman
6)  John Brown
7) Abraham Lincoln
Cool Susan B. Anthony
11) Eugene Debs
12)  Walter Reuther
13) Cesar Chavez
14) WEB Dubois
16) John Lewis
17) Nym90
18) Adam Griffin
19) AHDuke99
20)  Truman
21) Sestak
22) Windjammer
23) Blair
24) Pericles
25) PiT
26) Lumine
27) Tmthforu94
28) TJ in Cleve
29) Cris
30) Cincinattus
31) Classic Conservative

Sponsor Feedback: Origination
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 11:10:54 AM »

I'm fine with them being in if YT and myself are added. That's a good moderate compromise since only 1 of the people added so far (TJ) have voted for YT in the recent presidential election.

Okay, we'll try that next amendment.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 11:22:05 AM »

With this amendment (not saying Yankee's amendment is bad I'm just throwing this out there I think it's sensible though I'd personally swap Classic with Yankee himself), we have what I'd describe as 7 lefties and 8 conservatives. By comparison, post-dissolution the left is 14-10-1 in presidential elections. I also think it's lacking in figures pre-2014 or so.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 11:27:02 AM »

With this amendment (not saying Yankee's amendment is bad I'm just throwing this out there I think it's sensible though I'd personally swap Classic with Yankee himself), we have what I'd describe as 7 lefties and 8 conservatives. By comparison, post-dissolution the left is 14-10-1 in presidential elections. I also think it's lacking in figures pre-2014 or so.

I don't feel comfortable adding myself in. Though if someone were to offer an amendment to that effect I wouldn't object.

Classic and Cris should go together because of the Con-Con Petition in 2015. I put Cincy to add another pre-2014 figure. All of these people are gone also and thus should be considered less on their political views and more on what they did.

Two other pre-2014 options would be Purple State (Third Constitution's Truman) and Marokai Blue.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 11:32:39 AM »

If this comes to the House, I will add KingOfTheBenchPress and John Engle in as kingofthebenchpress is the second best pre-reset governor and Engle is the best governor of Iowa.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 11:53:10 AM »

I support this bill to keep our leadership accountable.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 12:18:22 PM »

Ftr the only changes I did compared to the TNF list originally was to replace TNF's set of Laborites (Griff /Nix /Dallasfan /Mechaman) with a more contemporary set of Laborites (Griff/Sestak/Pericles/Windjammer)
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2021, 12:39:38 PM »

Ftr the only changes I did compared to the TNF list originally was to replace TNF's set of Laborites (Griff /Nix /Dallasfan /Mechaman) with a more contemporary set of Laborites (Griff/Sestak/Pericles/Windjammer)

Dallasfan wasn't a laborite. If he was it might have been for a short time at some point.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2021, 01:01:44 PM »

I object.

My defining memory of Classic Conservative was him trying add a religious test to refugee admissions! 
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2021, 01:02:29 PM »

I feel bad as Yankee was kind enough to add me to the list but I want to at least test what the Senate things of this amendment
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2021, 03:17:02 PM »

Amendment 29:01 cannot go to a vote until tomorrow at 11 AM.

If there are other amendments, we can proceed with them in the mean time just as long as members they don't conflict.

Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2021, 03:32:23 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2021, 03:43:55 PM by Anna Komnene »

It might be fun to consider and specify in the bill what material(s) you want to be used to carve these sculptures. Sculpture offers a lot of possibilities from stones to metals to wood and clay. Even ice!  Tongue

Here are some examples:

Bronze: the most malleable and durable metal

Basalt: a hard, shiny black stone

Marble: a translucent white stone

Terracotta: earthy sculpture, can be painted to incorporate colors

Ice: Smooth, crystal clear quality. Cold doesn't bother me anyway. Melts in heat!!

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2021, 03:48:45 PM »

Terracotta is definitely not a style I'm used to seeing at all. I endorse its usage wholeheartedly.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2021, 04:42:52 PM »

I am not an expert on these matters, what does everyone else think about the material?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2021, 07:41:32 PM »

Marble if I'm being serious- Ice if I'm not!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2021, 11:33:34 PM »

The unlisted option: virtual holograms. Tongue

I kind of like Bronze as a serious answer. Though marble would be my second choice I think.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2021, 12:08:16 AM »

I kind of like Bronze as a serious answer. Though marble would be my second choice I think.
Idea: Do both of whatever material you choose and virtual holograms Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2021, 12:09:05 AM »

Idea: Do both of whatever material you choose and virtual holograms Tongue

What would be the benefit?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies