If Bush 41 won reelection in 1992, what would the Democrats do in 1996?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:34:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  If Bush 41 won reelection in 1992, what would the Democrats do in 1996?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Bush 41 won reelection in 1992, what would the Democrats do in 1996?  (Read 476 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2021, 11:54:48 PM »

Imagine President Bush winning reelection in 1992, extending the Republican Party reign from 1980 to 1996.....

*Would Rep. Newt Gingrich, a conservative firebrand be relevant in the 1990s?
*Would Rudy Giuliani, Christie Whitman, George Allen, etc. be relevant?
*How would Democrats respond to Clinton's loss in 1992 to prepare for 1996?
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 12:11:55 AM »

Congressman Newt Gingrich (R-GA) / HUD Secretary Jack Kemp (R-NY)
Governor Mario Cuomo (D-NY) / Senator Bob Graham (D-FL) ✓

Bush is credited with the recovery from the early 1990s recession and the neoliberal age continues, although maybe not with the human face Clinton gave it to his supporters. Facing diminished power in congress, I wouldn't be surprised if Newt Gingrich made a run for president in 1996. Clinton's experiment with a ticket of two Southern neoliberals is looked at as a failure and a more traditional ticket with one of the names that sat out 1992 finally wins, making sure to incorporate some of Ross Perot's protectionist platform like the Democrats did with the Populists after 1892. West Virginia is probably very close.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 12:15:21 AM »

Congressman Newt Gingrich (R-GA) / HUD Secretary Jack Kemp (R-NY)
Governor Mario Cuomo (D-NY) / Senator Bob Graham (D-FL) ✓

Bush is credited with the recovery from the early 1990s recession and the neoliberal age continues, although maybe not with the human face Clinton gave it to his supporters. Facing diminished power in congress, I wouldn't be surprised if Newt Gingrich made a run for president in 1996. Clinton's experiment with a ticket of two Southern neoliberals is looked at as a failure and a more traditional ticket with one of the names that sat out 1992 finally wins, making sure to incorporate some of Ross Perot's protectionist platform like the Democrats did with the Populists after 1892. West Virginia is probably very close.

Not an unreasonable prediction, though I can’t help but roll my eyes at every misuse of the word “neoliberal.”

I have a hard time seeing Bush win though. “The economy, stupid” was what dragged him down; short of some miracle recovery prior to the election, I don’t see what could save him. Especially after 12 years of Republican rule, and the Clinton/Gore ticket’s appeal in the South.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 12:42:49 AM »

Not an unreasonable prediction, though I can’t help but roll my eyes at every misuse of the word “neoliberal.”

Good thing it's not a misuse, then. Recommended reading: https://www.routledge.com/The-Handbook-of-Neoliberalism/Springer-Birch-MacLeavy/p/book/9781138844001
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 11:35:16 AM »

✓ Senator Al Gore (D-TN)/Senator John Kerry (D-MA): 350 EVs.; 51.9%
Senator Robert Dole (R-KS)/Former Governor Lamar Alexander (R-TN): 188 EVs.; 46.3%
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies