Re-elect Virginian87 for District 2 -Victory is Ours!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:34:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Re-elect Virginian87 for District 2 -Victory is Ours!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Re-elect Virginian87 for District 2 -Victory is Ours!  (Read 1611 times)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 05, 2006, 02:56:33 PM »
« edited: August 27, 2006, 12:26:35 PM by Senator Virginian87 »

From Roanoke, Va.:

Hello and welcome to the headquarters of my campaign for re-election to the Senate from District II.  After a busy period for me in late July, I am looking forward to this August campaign. 

As you know, friends, the road to re-election will be far from easy this month.  Ernest, my challenger, is a respected individual within the Atlasian community who will be quite a formidable candidate.  In previous statements he has outlined numerous Senate proposals he would introduce, claiming that the Senate has recently been little more than a forum for free trade proposals.  But we have done so much more than that.  In the last three months, the Senate has passed bills on electoral system reform, college recruitment for the military (though that was vetoed by President Ebowed), and we are currently in the midst of a debate on whether to privatize Amtrak.  During this time, we have also passed a number of free trade agreements with other countries, including Malaysia, India, South Korea, Switzerland, and Oman.  I would like to remind my constituents that I did my best to make sure that through all these agreements, the people of District II would suffer the least economically.  Finally, the current crisis in the Middle East, as well as the a near rebellion in Atlasia and the impeachment of President Ebowed, have been pressing issues for the Senate. 

So I believe my opponent is not completely right.  We in the Senate have done our best to address the economic and foreign policy of the Ebowed administration.  While Ernest wishes to introduce several new bills, such as the Time Clock Flexibility Act and the Imitation Butter and Cheese Regulation Act, I believe that we must address more pressing issues first.  I believe these bills could be feasible, but we simply must turn our attention to more important issues facing Atlasia, such as the Middle East crisis abroad and our education and transportation infrastructure at home.

Furthermore, you know me to be a pragmatic moderate, which is exactly what Ernest claims himself to be.  Well, my question to you is: Why Change?  I have done my best to represent the interests of District II in the Atlasian Senate, and I will continue to do in my next term.  When it comes time to vote I hope you will make the right choice: Virginian87 for District II.

Thank you very much for your time, and God Bless Atlasia.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 06:19:00 AM »

Good luck, and you have my endorsement.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 11:33:09 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2006, 06:56:53 PM by Senator Virginian87 »

From Richmond, Virginia:

*Senator Virginian87 takes the podium in front of Richmond's historic Main Street Station*

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen, I know it's sweltering out here and you'd all much rather be at the beach, so I'll try to keep my speech short today.

I stand today before you on the doorstep of District II's next great opportunity.  Behind me is the historic Main Street Station of Richmond, built over a century ago by the Chesapeake and Ohio and the Seaboard Air Line railways.  For decades, this magnificent structure was the transportation hub of Richmond, the crossroads of railroads to the Carolinas and Florida, to Washington and the Northeast, and Tidewater Virginia.  As the government increased its subsidies to build highways and airports, Main Street Station withered, and finally the last train departed here in 1975.  But that was not the end for this venerable terminal.  In the last fourteen years, the people of the City of Richmond and the government of Virginia have helped revive the station.  Its interior was renovated, shops were opened, and bus service was started up to serve the terminal.  Finally, three years ago, Amtrak started up rail service here again, with trains connecting New York, Baltimore, and Washington, with Richmond and Newport News. 

But I see still more potential in this building.  In fact, I see not only its rebirth as a major train station, but the rebirth of fast, efficient transportation to the Southeast and to the people of District II.  In this environmentally conscious age, when gas prices are skyrocketing and so is congestion on the highways and at the airports, I believe the railroad is the best transportation alternative for the future.  But is it fast enough?  I urge all who doubt me to take a look at the Northeast Corridor serving New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington.  Amtrak regularly pulls a higher share of passengers than the airlines on that route, and gets them to their destinations faster.  The train avoids airport delays and drops you off in the middle of the city, rather than some field at the edge of town.  So not only is it fast, but convenient. 

As Senator for District II, I hope to bring the high-speed rail of the Northeast Corridor to the fast-developing cities of the South.  The proposed Southeast High Speed Rail Corridor would link Washington, D.C. with cities of the Southeast whose booming economies reflect the growing economic clout of the New South.  The Corridor would extend from Washington to Richmond, Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, and Atlanta, as well as from Raleigh-Durham to Columbia, S.C., Savannah, Ga., and Jacksonville, Fla.  With the passing of this initiative, the people of District II and the Southeast would finally have a quick, efficient, and environmentally-friendly way to travel without feeling the pain of rising gas prices.

As a lifelong advocate of rail programs, I believe I am qualified to help secure government funding for this plan.  If re-elected as your Senator, I hope to introduce it at the next session of the Atlasian Senate. 

But I don't want to stop with Virginia and the Carolinas, nor do I want to stop with rail service.  I would like to see improved rail service and highways extended to Maryland and Delaware, where congestion on Interstate 95 has reached epic proportions.  I would also like to procure funding for highway improvements in suburban Maryland and Virginia, as I believe congestion can be eliminated.  The people of District II shouldn't have to deal with bumper-to-bumper traffic each day.  And as your Senator, I will work to make sure that you don't.  It is my hope that transportation in District II faces a bright future, much like this railroad station. 

Thank you for your time, and God Bless Atlasia.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 01:58:11 PM »

I fully support Virginian87
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 09:16:38 PM »

Thank you, Josh and MasterJedi.  Your support is greatly appreciated.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 09:35:09 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2006, 09:45:10 PM by Senator Virginian87 »

RALEIGH, N.C. -Press Conference for Senator Virginian87

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before I give a speech tomorrow in Chapel Hill, I would like to quickly address some of the remarks my opponent has made regarding the speech that I made yesterday in Richmond, Virginia.  It seems that perhaps I was a bit vague regarding my case for improved tranportation in the District II and in the suburbs of Washington and Baltimore. 

First, I will address the question of a case for a high-speed rail line between Raleigh and Jacksonville, Fla.  Ernest is indeed correct that there is not much of a population density on the route; aside from Raleigh, Columbia, Savannah, and Jacksonville there are no major cities of note.  But those cities that are on the route are growing.  Perhaps my opponent hasn't seen the latest studies of Atlasian population growth.  According to a 2003 Jacksonville is the third fastest-growing city in the country.  It has a metro area of over 1.3 million people.  Finally, it is located near Flagler County, the fastest growing county in the State of Florida.  Although they maintain a reputation as small cities, Columbia, S.C. and Savannah, Ga. are also quickly growing.  The presence of a high-speed rail corridor linking Washington to these cities would not only serve as a link for passenger rail; the improvements in infrastructure would help speed up freight traffic on CSX up and down the Eastern Seaboard.  Fast, efficient rail service would help ease congestion on the highways by taking more cars and trucks off, and it could also help attract more business to these areas of the Southeast.  Let me also clarify that I while I would like to help upgrade existing trackage in these areas to high-speed standards, I am not suggesting that these stretches of railroad be electrified.  That would truly be a drain on resources, since electrification alone would take a good deal of government subsidizing. 

As District II Senator, I will work closely with the Senator of District IV to make this a reality.  I hope that clears up my views on transportation.

Thank you and good night.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 01:40:47 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2006, 06:05:17 PM by Senator Virginian87 »

From Chapel Hill, N.C.:

*Senator Virginian87 takes the podium in front of South Building*

Good Afternoon, ladies and gentlemen.  Today I have chosen to address you at the University of North Carolina, the oldest public university in Atlasia and one of the finest.  Since 1789, this college has stood has a pillar of higher learning, while other states across Atlasia followed North Carolina's lead and founded their own public universities.  Thus I consider the steps of UNC's South Building to be a fitting place to discuss the future of public education in District II. 

Atlasia's District II is home to some of the best universities in the country, including the University of North Carolina system, the University of Virginia, the College of William and Mary, Virginia Tech, the University of Maryland, and Rutgers, among others.  Every year, the public university systems of District II make it possible for hundreds of thousands of students to receive a higher education without paying the higher tuitions of a private college.  As the Senator representing District II, I am committed to helping provide quality, affordable education. 

But if we are to keep this promise, we must address the problem of educational funding.  Recently, several colleges and public school systems across the states of District II have claimed to be receiving inadequate funds from the state.  In my home state of Virginia, tension has been building between the state universities and the state government.  In an attempt to reduce taxes on the wealthy, several state legislators have decided to scale back funding to the public educational systems.  The public schools and colleges of District II represent a more important investment to citizens than stocks or commodities -the future of our children.  And I am determined not to let any funding for this investment lapse. 

If re-elected as your Senator, I will work closely with the Governors of District II's regions to ensure that education remains a top priority in our district.  I also intend to introduce a bill that would cut funding from money-losing Atlasian government programs and divert these monies into the schools and universities of District II that need it most.  When I return to the Senate, education, along with transportation and the jobs of District II, will be one of the three issues I hope to address next term.  When you go to vote later in the month, I hope you'll remember that I am the candidate who will fight for educational improvement. 

Thank you for joining me on this beautiful August day.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and may God Bless Atlasia.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 11:03:48 AM »

From Baltimore, Maryland:

*Senator Virginian87 takes the podium outside the Domino Sugar Refinery*

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.  Today my campaign travels have brought me to Baltimore, Maryland, one of the largest cities in District II.  It also happens to be one of the largest sources of jobs for our district.  Behind me is one of Charm City's industrial landmarks, the Domino Sugar refinery.  500 employees report to work each day at this 79 year-old facility, which imports raw sugar from around the world and processes it for shipment to consumers across Atlasia.  The Domino Sugar refinery is only one of Baltimore's many employers.  The city is a bustling port, and home to such Fortune 500 companies as Black and Decker and Legg Mason.  Starting with its Inner Harbor revitalization project in the 1980s, Baltimore has experienced an economic renaissance.  The city and its suburbs are attracting new businesses, and towns in Baltimore, Anne Arundel, and Howard Counties are some of the fastest-growing in the Mid-Atlantic.

But despite these improvements, Baltimore has experienced economic problems as well.  The close of General Motors plants in the area, as well as the bankruptcy of Bethlehem Steel have hurt many people in the region.  These sort of problems are not unique to Baltimore.  Across District II, several manufacturing jobs have been moved to offshore contractors.  You may have realized that this has been going on for quite some time.  But the threat of outsourcing has risen to a new level beyond the working class, and that is white-collar research jobs as well.  Companies like General Electric and United Technologies have opened up new research and development centers in India and China, and others are soon set to follow.  Suddenly, the lives of union workers are no longer the only ones that are at stake.

Now before some of you in the audience rail against me over free trade, let me reveal something to you.  Since I took my seat in the Senate last May, I have supported nearly every free trade bill that has been introduced.  However, I believe that free trade can take place without causing harmful effects on the Atlasian workforce, so I have accordingly introduced or supported amendments to these bills that help protect our jobs.  For instance, we passed a free trade bill with India this term that included an amendment that continued tariffs on manufactured goods while eliminating others.  And the Senate has just passed a free trade agreement with South Korea that withheld the abolition of tariffs on auto components. 

It is this cooperation between free trade and protectionist interests that I stress as a Senator.  If re-elected to the Senate, I will continue this cooperation so that District II cities like Baltimore, Camden, Newark, and Wilmington can continue to grow in all economic aspects except unemployment.  It is my hope that when you go to vote in this election, you will remember that I am the candidate that will fight for your jobs.

Thank you for your time, and may God Bless Atlasia.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 02:33:26 PM »

From Assateague Island National Seashore, near Chincoteague, Va.:

*Senator Virginian87 takes the podium in front of the Assateague Island Light

Good Afternoon, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to Assateauge Island.  I stand today in front of the historic Assateague Island Lighthouse, an important navigational beacon for generations of mariners here on the Eastern Shore.  Stretching out in front of me from north to south are several miles of unspoiled beaches.  This area is an important habitat for the Great Blue Heron, the Snowy Egret, deer, crabs, and of course the famous Assateague Island wild ponies.  Thanks to the efforts of the Atlasian National Park Service, these species have been able to thrive here without minimal human distubance.  Assateauge Island has also continued to serve in the important ecological role of a barrier island, which helps absorb the harmful ocean effects of a hurricane, thus protecting the mainland. 

In Atlasia's District II, there are hundreds of barrier islands stretching from New Jersey to South Carolina.  They are important in shaping our shipping channels and, as I mentioned before, help to minimize the effects of sea-going storms on our oceanfront communities.  But their numbers have dwindled alarmingly over the last several decades, thanks to rapid beachfront development and a rising population along the Atlantic seaboard.  Barrier islands are by no means the only environmental feature of District II that is threatened by human activity.  Our estuaries, such as the Chesapeake Bay and Delaware Bay, stand at the risk of losing several species due to an increasing presence of chemicals from fertilizers and shoreline industry in the water.  Some of these species, like the oyster and the rockfish, are important to the bay fishing industry.  While much progress has been made since the 1980s, there is still a lot of cleaning up to do.  As your senator, I will do my best to introduce bills that will set new standards for industrial emissions, both in the water and in the air.

I realize that with economic prosperity comes increasing development, and nowhere is that more true than in Northern Virginia and suburban Maryland.  As more and more people move to these areas, the suburbs move further into the countryside.  Urban sprawl has provided a mixed blessing to Loudoun and Fauquier counties in Virginia, as well as Frederick and Charles counties in Maryland.  It has provided more area residents with jobs, yet the growth of subdivisions has changed the landscape completely.  In Warrenton, Va., what was once a vista of the Blue Ridge Mountains has become covered with townhouses and developments of McMansions.  This is not just a problem for District II, but for much of Atlasia at large.  I will use my position as senator to work out a compromise so that we can effectively re-use existing developments and construct new ones in such a way so that the breathtaking scenery of the Piedmont will not be altered. 

As for the environment, I want all of you to know today that you have an environmentally friendly senator representing you.  I believe that both developers, manufacturers, and environmentalists can work together to create a greener District II.  With your help, and a vote for Virginian87 in this election, you can be sure that landmarks such as this lighthouse and this island won't pass into extinction.

Thank you for your time, and may God Bless Atlasia.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 10:58:40 AM »

Good luck on your campaign trail!

Rin-chan
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 04:09:15 PM »

Good luck V87, you deserve it much more than Ernest!
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 12:25:21 PM »

From Virginian87 Campaign headquarters in Roanoke, Va.:

Ladies and Gentlemen, we did it!  After a long month on the campaign trail, your effort has paid off.  This election was close and difficult, but we still weathered the storm.   The voters of District II have spoken, and they have elected to keep me as their senator.  For that I am very grateful.  I can only promise you that I will consistently make myself available to the constituents of this fine District so that I can capably address the issues that matter to you most.  As for my opponent, I can only wish him the best of luck in the future.  Ernest is an accomplished politician, and he put up a good fight.  I would still like to see him in the Senate someday, so I strongly recommend that he run for the Northeast Senate seat in the October elections.  Well, I'm going to keep these remarks short today, but I just want to let everyone who worked on this campaign of my gratitude.  So let's sit back and wait until December. 

Thank you once again for your time, and may God bless Atlasia.

-Senator Virginian87
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 12:37:45 PM »

Congratulations, Senator!  Smiley

I also strongly urge Ernest to seriously consider running for Mideast governor. 
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 01:22:09 PM »

Congratulations Smiley on your re-election Senator

Dave 'Hawk'
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 01:32:59 PM »

Congrats, Senator. I look forward to working with you.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006, 02:11:20 PM »

Congratulations, Senator!  Smiley

I also strongly urge Ernest to seriously consider running for Mideast governor. 

Thank you for the support, but I plan on staying put in Delaware.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 02:08:17 PM »

Nicely done, Virginian. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies