Why are whites in LaSalle Parish, LA so reactionary? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:27:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why are whites in LaSalle Parish, LA so reactionary? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are whites in LaSalle Parish, LA so reactionary?  (Read 1070 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« on: March 04, 2021, 10:47:26 PM »

It is also interesting to point out Cameron Parish in the southwest corner of the state which I guess is more Catholic but has swung Republican much harder more recently while LaSalle Parish flipped in the 1950s.

Cameron is rapidly depopulating--it's extremely vulnerable to climate change and has been heavily damaged by most recent hurricanes. I wouldn't be surprised if there were electoral effects from this.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 11:55:03 AM »

It is also interesting to point out Cameron Parish in the southwest corner of the state which I guess is more Catholic but has swung Republican much harder more recently while LaSalle Parish flipped in the 1950s.

Cameron is rapidly depopulating--it's extremely vulnerable to climate change and has been heavily damaged by most recent hurricanes. I wouldn't be surprised if there were electoral effects from this.

What do you think would be the electoral effects of this climate-driven depopulation, and why?

Not commenting so much on Plaquemines, but the only remaining industry in Cameron Parish is oil/gas extraction/refining, so the only reason people still live there is to work those jobs, which of course are a hyper-Republican demographic.

^this. Plus I imagine poorer folks, as well as the very small Black community in the parish, were more likely to live in areas which were lower lying and thus more heavily devastated by the hurricanes and that's probably a marginally more Democratic demographic.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 06:33:53 PM »

Glascock is mainly so Republican because it's tiny--it's equivalent to any other heavily white area of a deep south county, and just happens to have accidentally been spun off into it's own jurisdiction.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies