Why are whites in LaSalle Parish, LA so reactionary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:55:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Why are whites in LaSalle Parish, LA so reactionary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are whites in LaSalle Parish, LA so reactionary?  (Read 1043 times)
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2021, 07:55:40 PM »
« edited: March 04, 2021, 08:02:00 PM by ERM64man »

Orange County, CA, rural Arizona, and many rural areas in the South have their share of reactionary whites. But why are whites in LaSalle Parish, LA particularly reactionary? Trump got 90% of the vote in 2020, better than in 2016.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 08:02:28 PM »

You池e obsessed with this parish.

And stop changing the thread title.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 08:04:25 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2021, 08:07:30 PM by ERM64man »

You池e obsessed with this parish.
Yes, because it's unique.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 08:06:18 PM »

Racial insecurity and anxiety, mainly. Their whiteness is the only thing they have, so, bereft of any actual economic security or real prospects for advancement, they resort to punching laterally - or even downwards.

Were they to acknowledge that Black people have just as legitimate a claim to the levers of power that they do, that would force a degree of introspection that they can稚 abide. So, instead, they double down - and become extremely reactionary as a result.

It is, fundamentally, an environment of fear. They fear the implications of being a racist, and so engage in vehement denial that anything they do is motivated by race - even though, to an external observer, it is obvious. It is a degree of self-deception only a person in denial is capable of achieving.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 08:09:47 PM »

I never understood why it's even more extreme than many of the neighboring parishes.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 08:27:03 PM »

It's in Protestant northern LA and it's adjacent to the Mississppi river valley which has a larger black population. I guess the parish is distant enough from them to attract whites who don't want to live there.

It is also interesting to point out Cameron Parish in the southwest corner of the state which I guess is more Catholic but has swung Republican much harder more recently while LaSalle Parish flipped in the 1950s.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 10:47:26 PM »

It is also interesting to point out Cameron Parish in the southwest corner of the state which I guess is more Catholic but has swung Republican much harder more recently while LaSalle Parish flipped in the 1950s.

Cameron is rapidly depopulating--it's extremely vulnerable to climate change and has been heavily damaged by most recent hurricanes. I wouldn't be surprised if there were electoral effects from this.
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 08:42:50 AM »

It's in Protestant northern LA and it's adjacent to the Mississppi river valley which has a larger black population. I guess the parish is distant enough from them to attract whites who don't want to live there.

That's arguably at least part of the reason. While LaSalle had already flipped to Eisenhower in 56 the Democrats nominating a Catholic certainly didn't help. As someone else pointed out further up thread it may have attracted Mississippi whites from the black belt, maybe fleeing to a Catholic majority state and being Protestants contributed to a higher then average level of southern white bigotry.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 09:12:01 AM »

Cameron is rapidly depopulating--it's extremely vulnerable to climate change and has been heavily damaged by most recent hurricanes. I wouldn't be surprised if there were electoral effects from this.

Plaquemines Parish in the southeast, one of the "toes of the boot", was similarly hyper-Republican to LaSalle nowadays (or supported States' Rights slates and third-party candidates similarly furiously) from 1948 to 1972 thanks to the influence of political boss Leander Perez, giving Eisenhower a staggering 93% in 1952, although it approached the mean as its Black population became enfranchised (strangely, it swung significantly Democratic from 1976 to 1980, perhaps due to enfranchisement), and ended up voting for Clinton by about eight points in 1996 amidst his very strong statewide performance. It strongly hemorrhaged population after Katrina, but seems to have grown slightly since then due to its strong seafood, citrus, and oil industries, although one imagines that things are also becoming quite dicey there ecologically, which will probably make the parish a deep red rump like it once was.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 09:47:49 AM »

What do you think would be the electoral effects of this climate-driven depopulation, and why?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 10:58:37 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2021, 11:01:42 AM by 306 »

What do you think would be the electoral effects of this climate-driven depopulation, and why?

Not commenting so much on Plaquemines, but the only remaining industry in Cameron Parish is oil/gas extraction/refining, so the only reason people still live there is to work those jobs, which of course are a hyper-Republican demographic.

I am not so convinced Plaquemines will trend the same way; the last ones out will be the poorest/least able to move. Plaquemines does also contain some areas at the north end near New Orleans that won稚 need to be abandoned any time soon (Belle Chasse, etc.). Although I could see stubbornness in the face of obvious doom being a Republican trait these days...
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 11:55:03 AM »

Not commenting so much on Plaquemines, but the only remaining industry in Cameron Parish is oil/gas extraction/refining, so the only reason people still live there is to work those jobs, which of course are a hyper-Republican demographic.

^this. Plus I imagine poorer folks, as well as the very small Black community in the parish, were more likely to live in areas which were lower lying and thus more heavily devastated by the hurricanes and that's probably a marginally more Democratic demographic.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 12:22:56 PM »

I wonder the extent to which this also helps explain counties like Glascock in Georgia, which really stands out against its neighbors. I once emailed a local professor about it and he didn't have much insight.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 03:42:21 PM »

I wonder the extent to which this also helps explain counties like Glascock in Georgia, which really stands out against its neighbors. I once emailed a local professor about it and he didn't have much insight.

I assume the fact that Glascock is 90% white in a majority black area must be the main reason why it is so Republican.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2021, 04:01:16 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2021, 04:05:12 PM by ERM64man »

I assume the fact that Glascock is 90% white in a majority black area must be the main reason why it is so Republican.
I guess. But in California, I noticed that the majority-white neighborhood in Santa Ana is largely Democratic. The largely white neighborhood in a largely Hispanic region votes Democratic for some reason. Imperial Beach, CA is the same too. Why are they the opposite of Glascock County, GA?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2021, 06:33:53 PM »

Glascock is mainly so Republican because it's tiny--it's equivalent to any other heavily white area of a deep south county, and just happens to have accidentally been spun off into it's own jurisdiction.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies