Why are whites in LaSalle Parish, LA so reactionary? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:46:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why are whites in LaSalle Parish, LA so reactionary? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are whites in LaSalle Parish, LA so reactionary?  (Read 1068 times)
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« on: March 05, 2021, 09:12:01 AM »

It is also interesting to point out Cameron Parish in the southwest corner of the state which I guess is more Catholic but has swung Republican much harder more recently while LaSalle Parish flipped in the 1950s.

Cameron is rapidly depopulating--it's extremely vulnerable to climate change and has been heavily damaged by most recent hurricanes. I wouldn't be surprised if there were electoral effects from this.

Plaquemines Parish in the southeast, one of the "toes of the boot", was similarly hyper-Republican to LaSalle nowadays (or supported States' Rights slates and third-party candidates similarly furiously) from 1948 to 1972 thanks to the influence of political boss Leander Perez, giving Eisenhower a staggering 93% in 1952, although it approached the mean as its Black population became enfranchised (strangely, it swung significantly Democratic from 1976 to 1980, perhaps due to enfranchisement), and ended up voting for Clinton by about eight points in 1996 amidst his very strong statewide performance. It strongly hemorrhaged population after Katrina, but seems to have grown slightly since then due to its strong seafood, citrus, and oil industries, although one imagines that things are also becoming quite dicey there ecologically, which will probably make the parish a deep red rump like it once was.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies