Third sexual harassment accusation against Andrew Cuomo.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 09:31:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Third sexual harassment accusation against Andrew Cuomo.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Third sexual harassment accusation against Andrew Cuomo.  (Read 2049 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2021, 02:59:22 PM »

The me too movement is out of control.

Practically anything could be interpret as “sexual harassment” these days.

I- ... oh, Jesus.

Yes, sexual harassment is interpreted as sexual harassment. That's how it inherently works, in fact.

Touching someone's back is now "sexual harassment".

Facepalm

Right, because that's all he did.

Maybe you're right, the good old days were better, back before Cuomo's actions were inappropriate. You could grab a broad from work and ask her if she'd ever ed an older dude and then steal a kiss without being ""canceled"". We are so much less enlightened now. If I can't even screw my underlings what's the point of having a position of power?

This is also the issue here: if you're acting as if "touching someone's back" is the only thing that Cuomo did, then that's just even more proof of not knowing what the f**k you're talking about.

"he placed his hands on her face and asked if he could kiss her at her friend's wedding"

Apparently, that qualifies as "sexual harassment" these days/

I don't know why you're saying that sarcastically because, yes, that can definitely qualify as sexual harassment depending on the context thereof, not that you evidently care. Or are you seriously just incapable of understanding how that conduct can be unwanted, improper, offensive, & inappropriate?

By the way, very good of you to just conveniently ignore the even worse things he's accused of that NYDem brought up. Or are you just gonna say next that asking a young, subordinate employee of yours if she's ever f**ked an older dude like you actually can't constitute sexual harassment because "reasons"? And what about attempting to engage in inappropriate sexual conduct such as strip poker with a young, subordinate employee of yours? Does that also not constitute sexual harassment because "reasons"? Actually, not even because "reasons," given that you haven't even actually managed to provide any reasoning - (ir)rational or otherwise - as to why you're evidently of the belief that such actions can't constitute sexual harassment. Funny how that works.

What she should say is "I am sorry, but I think I know where this is going and I don't want to go there."

If he pushes further, then that would be inappropriate.

So you've just never met the concept of "workplace power imbalance," huh?

If he fires her, then that would be wrongful termination.

I'm gonna have to advise you to please stop speaking in this thread if every statement of yours is just gonna further prove that you're not at all qualified to speak on this matter as it exists in the real world.

If a man makes an unwelcome advance, then the woman should tell him so.

If he continues further, then that would be inappropriate.

Furthermore, any retaliation (for the rejection) would be inappropriate.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2021, 03:00:24 PM »

I- ... oh, Jesus.

Yes, sexual harassment is interpreted as sexual harassment. That's how it inherently works, in fact.

Facepalm

Maybe you're right, the good old days were better, back before Cuomo's actions were inappropriate. You could grab a broad from work and ask her if she'd ever ed an older dude and then steal a kiss without being ""canceled"". We are so much less enlightened now. If I can't even screw my underlings what's the point of having a position of power?

This is also the issue here: if you're acting as if "touching someone's back" is the only thing that Cuomo did, then that's just even more proof of not knowing what the f**k you're talking about.

"he placed his hands on her face and asked if he could kiss her at her friend's wedding"

I don't know why you're saying that sarcastically because, yes, that can definitely qualify as sexual harassment depending on the context thereof, not that you evidently care. Or are you seriously just incapable of understanding how that conduct can be unwanted, improper, offensive, & inappropriate?

By the way, very good of you to just conveniently ignore the even worse things he's accused of that NYDem brought up. Or are you just gonna say next that asking a young, subordinate employee of yours if she's ever f**ked an older dude like you actually can't constitute sexual harassment because "reasons"? And what about attempting to engage in inappropriate sexual conduct such as strip poker with a young, subordinate employee of yours? Does that also not constitute sexual harassment because "reasons"? Actually, not even because "reasons," given that you haven't even actually managed to provide any reasoning - (ir)rational or otherwise - as to why you're evidently of the belief that such actions can't constitute sexual harassment. Funny how that works.

What she should say is "I am sorry, but I think I know where this is going and I don't want to go there."

I'm gonna have to advise you to please stop speaking in this thread if every statement of yours is just gonna further prove that you're not at all qualified to speak on this matter as it exists in the real world.

Ahem:

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2021, 03:03:00 PM »

I- ... oh, Jesus.

Facepalm

Ahem:

So are you saying that women shouldn't tell men that if their advance is unwanted?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2021, 03:10:30 PM »

I- ... oh, Jesus.

Facepalm

Ahem:

So are you saying that women shouldn't tell men that if their advance is unwanted?

I'm saying that I'm starting to believe you're acting deliberately obtuse the more you indicate it's as simple as that.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2021, 03:11:04 PM »

It's hard to react calmly with a simple rejection of someone's advance when you're being caught off guard, in a public place, by somebody who is not only intimidating you but making sure to draw attention:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/01/nyregion/cuomo-harassment-anna-ruch.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Mr. Cuomo put his hand on Ms. Ruch’s bare lower back, she said in an interview on Monday.

When she removed his hand with her own, Ms. Ruch recalled, the governor remarked that she seemed “aggressive” and placed his hands on her cheeks. He asked if he could kiss her, loudly enough for a friend standing nearby to hear. Ms. Ruch was bewildered by the entreaty, she said, and pulled away as the governor drew closer.

There's an accompanying picture (which I'm not sure if I can post without getting into copyright trouble) showing he is knowingly making a power move, not just making a random 'friendly' remark that was 'misunderstood'.

If this isn't sexual harassment then you may as well just come out and admit you don't think anything is.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2021, 03:13:04 PM »

I- ... oh, Jesus.

Facepalm

Ahem:

I'm saying that I'm starting to believe you're acting deliberately obtuse the more you indicate it's as simple as that.

Not at all.

If one don't like what is going on, one should say so.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2021, 03:15:08 PM »

I- ... oh, Jesus.

Facepalm

Ahem:

Not at all.

Ahem:

Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2021, 03:15:18 PM »

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2021, 03:17:16 PM »

It's hard to react calmly with a simple rejection of someone's advance when you're being caught off guard, in a public place, by somebody who is not only intimidating you but making sure to draw attention:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/01/nyregion/cuomo-harassment-anna-ruch.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Mr. Cuomo put his hand on Ms. Ruch’s bare lower back, she said in an interview on Monday.

When she removed his hand with her own, Ms. Ruch recalled, the governor remarked that she seemed “aggressive” and placed his hands on her cheeks. He asked if he could kiss her, loudly enough for a friend standing nearby to hear. Ms. Ruch was bewildered by the entreaty, she said, and pulled away as the governor drew closer.

There's an accompanying picture (which I'm not sure if I can post without getting into copyright trouble) showing he is knowingly making a power move, not just making a random 'friendly' remark that was 'misunderstood'.

If this isn't sexual harassment then you may as well just come out and admit you don't think anything is.

"No" means "no".

She should make herself clear.

Anything further would be sexual harassment.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2021, 03:20:01 PM »

"No" means "no".

JESUS, FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME, THE INITIAL UNDERLYING ACT ALREADY CONSTITUTES SEXUAL HARASSMENT!!

Are you legitimately incapable of listening to anything that anybody (let alone everybody) is telling you?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2021, 03:24:54 PM »

Not at all.

“I was so confused and shocked and embarrassed,” said Ms. Ruch, whose recollection was corroborated by the friend, contemporaneous text messages and photographs from the event. “I turned my head away and didn’t have words in that moment.”

What is unclear about this? If you put your hand around the lower back of some random woman and she peels it away with her hand, that is so very obviously a flashing red sign of BACK OFF. This is especially true of situations involving people of authority, who you might fear pissing off, in which case you just try to get them to stop or avoid what they are doing without explicitly telling them so, which may provoke them even more or piss them off, and in cases where it's a boss, could get you fired.

This is why I don't even like talking about subject anymore, especially with men. Many guys have no clue how any of this works and think if you just say no to them, it'll stop. HA, HA, HA. Bullsh**t. You think Cuomo gives a sh**t? This guy has spent his entire life mingling in parties and with other people. He knows what it means when a woman takes his hand off of her back and dodges his kisses. It means they aren't interested. The reason he kept pawing at her anyway was because he didn't care and felt like he could get away with it. People like usually do because many - maybe even most - women are too scared to speak of for fear of these powerful people ruining their life or causing them serious problems for something they didn't even want and just want to move past.

Also, what brucejoel said above.^
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2021, 03:24:59 PM »

"No" means "no".

JESUS, FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME, THE INITIAL UNDERLYING ACT ALREADY CONSTITUTES SEXUAL HARASSMENT!!

Are you legitimately incapable of listening to anything that anybody (let alone everybody) is telling you?

It all depends on the willingness of the other person to go along.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2021, 03:27:04 PM »

Not at all.

“I was so confused and shocked and embarrassed,” said Ms. Ruch, whose recollection was corroborated by the friend, contemporaneous text messages and photographs from the event. “I turned my head away and didn’t have words in that moment.”

What is unclear about this? If you put your hand around the lower back of some random woman and she peels it away with her hand, that is so very obviously a flashing red sign of BACK OFF. This is especially true of situations involving people of authority, who you might fear pissing off, in which case you just try to get them to stop or avoid what they are doing without explicitly telling them so, which may provoke them even more or piss them off, and in cases where it's a boss, could get you fired.

This is why I don't even like talking about subject anymore, especially with men. Many guys have no clue how any of this works and think if you just say no to them, it'll stop. HA, HA, HA. Bullsh**t. You think Cuomo gives a sh**t? This guy has spent his entire life mingling in parties and with other people. He knows what it means when a woman takes his hand off of her back and dodges his kisses. It means they aren't interested. The reason he kept pawing at her anyway was because he didn't care and felt like he could get away with it. People like usually do because many - maybe even most - women are too scared to speak of for fear of these powerful people ruining their life or causing them serious problems for something they didn't even want and just want to move past.

Idk why we're even bothering anymore, anything & everything we say is just gonna go right over pppolitics' head.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2021, 03:29:08 PM »

Not at all.

I wasn't there so it's hard to interpret the event.

Someone else could say, well, I was there and that is not how I interpreted what happened.

On the other hand, if she said something then, it would be pretty clear what she means.
kyc0705

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2021, 03:34:21 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2021, 08:34:20 PM by kyc0705 »

Not at all.

I wasn't there so it's hard to interpret the event, but if she said something then, it would be pretty clear what she means.

I'm going to post here for the first time in quite a while, and just say this:

I agree with others who have posted on here that you don't know what you're talking about. But in a way, I'm happy for you that you don't.

I'm assuming you don't know what it feels like to have someone, in a position of authority and power over you, exploit that power over you.

I'm assuming you don't know how frightening it is, how much you freeze up, how much you have no idea what to think or say.

I'm assuming you don't know how scary the idea of saying anything is, because you know that they will use their power over you again, to lash out against you, to gaslight you and tell you that what they did to you never happened.

I'm assuming you don't know what it's like to absolutely fear—for very good reason—that if you were to say something about what they did to you, that everyone around you would take their side, and that you would suffer repercussions for coming forward.

I'm assuming you don't know what it feels like. Nobody should ever have to know. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But a lot of people have experienced it and continue to, and it's a very real thing that happens.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2021, 03:34:57 PM »

Not at all.

I wasn't there so it's hard to interpret the event.

Someone could say, well, I was there and that is not how I interpreted what happened.

On the other hand, if she said something then, it would be pretty clear what she means.

If somebody makes sexual avances such as asking stuff like whether she'd be open for relationships with older men, there is not much to interpret. Especially, and especially, if someone like a governor does that. In this case, it's plain obvious he's trying to take advantage of the extreme gap in power and makes a woman feel very uncomfortable in this kind of situation. Much more uncomfortable than a random guy in a nightclub would with the same questions and remarks (which would already be bad).
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2021, 03:40:59 PM »

"No" means "no".

Consent must be given. If she did not give consent--and she didn't--it is harassment. Clearly you've never been in a situation where somebody who holds sway has intimidated you into a corner.

Even 30 years ago this would be considered inappropriate, I don't know why we're trying to hand wave it and claim it's acceptable now.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2021, 03:43:31 PM »

The Working Families Party and the New York State Young Democrats have both called for Cuomo's resignation.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2021, 03:44:59 PM »

"No" means "no".

Consent must be given. If she did not give consent--and she didn't--it is harassment. Clearly you've never been in a situation where somebody who holds sway has intimidated you into a corner.

Even 30 years ago this would be considered inappropriate, I don't know why we're trying to hand wave it and claim it's acceptable now.

Presumably because of the "(D)" next to both Cuomo's & pppolitics' names.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2021, 03:45:23 PM »

#TimesUp
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2021, 03:46:50 PM »

Except when it comes to Kavanaugh and Trump. Then you all are ready to make excuses. You don't care about these women, you just hate Cuomo because he's a Democrat and you have a sick hatred Democrats. Be honest.

And before you blather on in some crazed rant about bothsides it's very clear that Democrats are treating Cuomo differently than Republicans would treat one of their own. Had this been about a Republican you all would have been attacking the accusers.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2021, 03:49:38 PM »

Having a man twice your size leer and paw at you is not a fun feeling, Having it continue after saying no is even worse, If he's guilty he needs to go away.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2021, 03:59:13 PM »

Except when it comes to Kavanaugh and Trump. Then you all are ready to make excuses. You don't care about these women, you just hate Cuomo because he's a Democrat and you have a sick hatred Democrats. Be honest.

And before you blather on in some crazed rant about bothsides it's very clear that Democrats are treating Cuomo differently than Republicans would treat one of their own. Had this been about a Republican you all would have been attacking the accusers.

As they did with Kavanaugh's accusers, & Trump's, & presumably now Cawthorn's too.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2021, 04:24:53 PM »

Gov. Cuomo is currently the chair of the National Governor's association.

White House pressed on Cuomo's role at NGA
“That’s a decision for the NGA — not a decision for the president or The White House,” White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said at the daily briefing.

Virginia Republicans call on Northam, McAuliffe to pressure Cuomo to step down from NGA ch

Republicans should not be the only ones urging their governors to remove Cuomo as NGA chair.

While Andrew Cuomo certainly deserves a fair hearing into allegations of sexual and criminal misconduct, the people of New York and the United States also deserve leadership that doesn't spend every day dealing with new credible allegations of serious wrongdoing. Cuomo needs to step down, and Democrats need to make it clear that he should do so.
JoeInator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -4.00

« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2021, 04:57:04 PM »

Cuomo needs to resign ASAP and if he doesn't, he should be impeached.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies