Grade Eisenhower’s presidency
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 07:55:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Grade Eisenhower’s presidency
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ??
A

B

C

D

F

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Grade Eisenhower’s presidency  (Read 308 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2021, 11:21:44 AM »

B+. Best president post-WW2.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 11:28:18 AM »

Surprisingly, many people of the time regarded the entire 1950s as a period of stagnation.  

Had JFK not been an Opus Dei cultist secretly taking marching orders from the Vatican, that would have been a landslide.  
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 11:30:33 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2021, 04:47:24 PM by KaiserDave »

Eh. Somewhere around a C. No higher than a C+.

Edit: A B- might not be entirely inappropriate, but a C+ seems right to me.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 12:45:43 PM »

D, rampant militarism and setting the foundations for what has been expected of the CIA in Guatemala and Iran lessens his contributions elsewhere.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 12:48:15 PM »

I prioritize foreign policy less than PSOL does when assessing US Presidents, but the Dulles-driven Cold War policy is still bad enough to knock him down to a C or C+.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 03:37:41 PM »

A solid B, I'd say. Overall positive, but should have done more civil rights and avoid the disastrous coup in Iran.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 03:41:57 PM »

A. My third-favorite president.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 03:52:41 PM »

In addition to what PSOL and Nathan said, his greatest domestic achievement is usually regarded as the Interstate Highway System—a project which, while undoubtedly useful, has greatly accelerated the decline of dense, walkable legacy cities, caused them to go over to urban decay and concomitant de-industrialization, replaced urban beauty with highway overpasses, has fuelled the proliferation of unlivable suburbs bereft of any amenities or soul, and proved to be the final nail in the coffin for the national railway system as the main means of interstate commerce and travel, thus ensuring the supremacy of single-use motor-cars and diesel trucks and all the problems that come with it, to say nothing of the deleterious environmental effects. Not that Eisenhower could have necessarily predicted all that, but needless to say it would have been much better as a public works projects to invest in public transportation.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 03:56:13 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2021, 04:01:03 PM by Alben Barkley »

A-/B+

Last great Republican president. (Last good/decent one was HW Bush.)

People whining about his foreign policy... It was the Cold War. Most of what he did was sensible in that context. And the bad was still not nearly as bad as some of what followed under subsequent Democratic administrations, namely the escalation of Vietnam, and I say that as obviously a strong partisan Democrat. Hell, JFK and LBJ ran to the right of Ike and Nixon on foreign policy. "Missile gap" anyone? Ike was the one warning about the "military industrial complex" and saying "every gun that is made... is a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, are cold but are not clothed." I would have thought leftists would like that more than I do!
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 04:31:53 PM »

A-/B+

People whining about his foreign policy... It was the Cold War. Most of what he did was sensible in that context. And the bad was still not nearly as bad as some of what followed under subsequent Democratic administrations, namely the escalation of Vietnam, and I say that as obviously a strong partisan Democrat. Hell, JFK and LBJ ran to the right of Ike and Nixon on foreign policy. "Missile gap" anyone? Ike was the one warning about the "military industrial complex" and saying "every gun that is made... is a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, are cold but are not clothed." I would have thought leftists would like that more than I do!

I'm not going to let Democrats off the hook for their Cold War policy (see Vietnam) but Truman opposed overthrowing Mossadegh in Iran and I think would have been similarly sceptical in Guatemala as well.

I think Eisenhower was ok on domestic policy but even there his liberalism is overrated. While he did not seek to reverse the New Deal, Eisenhower certainly did not propose any new social programs such as universal healthcare or Social Security expansion that his Democratic predecessors and successors championed.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 05:01:30 PM »

A-/B+

I'm not going to let Democrats off the hook for their Cold War policy (see Vietnam) but Truman opposed overthrowing Mossadegh in Iran and I think would have been similarly sceptical in Guatemala as well.

I think Eisenhower was ok on domestic policy but even there his liberalism is overrated. While he did not seek to reverse the New Deal, Eisenhower certainly did not propose any new social programs such as universal healthcare or Social Security expansion that his Democratic predecessors and successors championed.

Eisenhower's terrible successors championed a "War on Poverty" that has resulted in trillions of wasted taxpayer dollars and a net-zero reduction in the poverty rate.
LM Brazilian Citizen
100% antiS, 100% Freedom
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -1.91

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 08:14:53 PM »

C, because despite Eisenhower being a very correct and organized person, and his domestic policy appears to have been reasonable, he was behind the coups d'état and civil war in Guatemala in 1954 and Iran in 1953, in the term of office of the Secretary of State John Foster Dulles. In addition, he conspired against the Congo (later Zaire) independence leader, Patrice Lumumba, assassinated three days before leave office, as well as many CIA programs like MK Ultra, Mockingbird and COINTELPRO, originated or expanded.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 11:35:56 PM »

B- or C+. My opinion of his Presidency dipped a bit in recent years, but despite that he was still the best Republican President since Theodore Roosevelt.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies